Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: WTF is going on in London?
The_Dog33 #458402 08/09/2011 9:55 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I share Ian's comments. Stay safe over there.

'06 TBA - Black, AI and Snorkel removed, K&N Drop In, Gutted Stock Pipes, 145/42, 2 turns out.
BlueNose #458403 08/09/2011 11:52 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Bluenose
Please stop the party politics , I don't share your views and I find your comments offensive.

Al

I wasn't, I have an even lower opinion of politicians.

And I'm offended that your offended so we're even!

I find it odd that people find political comments or debate offensive. There are lots of things about which I have strong opinions and I’m more then happy to engage in political argument, but as soon as you start calling legitimate discourse "offensive" you have veered into political correctness and are just a step away from totalitarianism.

Trying to delegitimatize opinions you disagree with by calling them offensive is simply reprehensible regardless of where you are on the political spectrum. Similarly, as soon as you call your opponents Nazi’s, terrorists, Taliban or the like you have shown yourself to be devoid of a legitimate argument unless you can show an actual similarity in philosophy, tactics or stated goals.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
Dwight #458404 08/10/2011 12:06 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

I think the point is that this type of violence can happen anyplace. There is not a good formula to know when it will happen or how long it will last. That is the scary part. It is hard to prevent and hard to prepare or plan for it.

Exactly, Ron! That was pretty much my point. Stuff like these losers goin' nuts and doing stuff counter-productive to their own interests can, and DO happen EVERYWHERE on this crazy friggin' planet!

(...and whenever I read or hear from somebody that this kinda crap "won't happen around where I live" because of "reason a, b or c", then I find it almost impossible to refrain from taking the contrary viewpoint...because of exactly what you just said up there!)

Actually no, this can't happen just anywhere. For the same reason mass shootings always happen in gun free zones and not at gun shows. The criminals may be low life thugs but they're smart enough to stay away from areas where their actions are likely to be violently stopped by their intended victims. I wonder how long the current riots would last if they were taking place outside the Queens residence?

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #458405 08/10/2011 12:14 AM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Always Larry?

I agree with your point, and if you said "almost always" you would be right.
But there have been exceptions to your rule there.

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
ladisney #458406 08/10/2011 12:26 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bluenose
Please stop the party politics , I don't share your views and I find your comments offensive.

Al

I wasn't, I have an even lower opinion of politicians.

And I'm offended that your offended so we're even!

I find it odd that people find political comments or debate offensive. There are lots of things about which I have strong opinions and I’m more then happy to engage in political argument, but as soon as you start calling legitimate discourse "offensive" you have veered into political correctness and are just a step away from totalitarianism.

Trying to delegitimatize opinions you disagree with by calling them offensive is simply reprehensible regardless of where you are on the political spectrum. Similarly, as soon as you call your opponents Nazi’s, terrorists, Taliban or the like you have shown yourself to be devoid of a legitimate argument unless you can show an actual similarity in philosophy, tactics or stated goals.

Well said, Larry. I agree with you here.

However, need I remind you that THIS website NOW has certain rules in regard to which topics can and can not be discussed, and which were instituted because certain members in the past where unable to engage in a partisan political debate without the apparent need to do exactly what you said you disliked...throw names at others.

And so, what say we give Alan over there a break, as he IS in effect only saying that he doesn't come to BA.com in order to read from any other members that his own particular personal political thoughts are "wrong".

(...nope, I'll betcha he comes here to read what lame jokes that Dwight character has said today..well, THAT and maybe some stuff about motorcycles too, I suppose!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
ladisney #458407 08/10/2011 12:46 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Actually no, this can't happen just anywhere. For the same reason mass shootings always happen in gun free zones...

Hmmmmm...not real familiar with the gun laws in Arizona, are ya Larry?!

AND, need I remind you (again) that a particular Safeway parking lot in Tucson was, and still IS, in Arizona, last I heard!

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #458408 08/10/2011 8:24 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Actually no, this can't happen just anywhere. For the same reason mass shootings always happen in gun free zones...

Hmmmmm...not real familiar with the gun laws in Arizona, are ya Larry?!

AND, need I remind you (again) that a particular Safeway parking lot in Tucson was, and still IS, in Arizona, last I heard!

Dwight, please give us all the story of who took down the shooter and how it was done.

ladisney #458409 08/10/2011 9:44 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
One lady took his magazine that he dropped, somebody else hit him with a chair and a retired Colonel tackled him. The Colonel, by the way was shot earlier by him but took him down anyhow.

Or was that specifically for Dwight?

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #458410 08/10/2011 9:57 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
As a followup on this thought. Larry, I get what you are saying but its not always.

I hope we can all agree that if you are going to start blazing away at any group of people in a free society you are a bit unbalanced.

John Hinckley walked up amongst dozens of cops and 8 Secret Service Agents and shot Reagan. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that was anything but a gun free zone. Jack Ruby shot Oswald in front of dozens of cops.

If we all had a gun (assuming "we" were all sane) some lunatic someplace would open fire anyhow.

I will teach you something about violence. Something a police officer lives with every minute of his life. Something he or she thinks hard on for 21 paces or so approaching a car, or opening a door. Are you ready to learn why we are always unprepared?

Only the criminal knows when the violence is about to begin. A nut with a gun in his hand is way more lethal than a gun in 100 holsters. Now its already a tragedy, the rest is a matter of scale.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
ladisney #458411 08/10/2011 10:28 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the point is that this type of violence can happen anyplace. There is not a good formula to know when it will happen or how long it will last. That is the scary part. It is hard to prevent and hard to prepare or plan for it.

Exactly, Ron! That was pretty much my point. Stuff like these losers goin' nuts and doing stuff counter-productive to their own interests can, and DO happen EVERYWHERE on this crazy friggin' planet!

(...and whenever I read or hear from somebody that this kinda crap "won't happen around where I live" because of "reason a, b or c", then I find it almost impossible to refrain from taking the contrary viewpoint...because of exactly what you just said up there!)

Actually no, this can't happen just anywhere. For the same reason mass shootings always happen in gun free zones and not at gun shows. The criminals may be low life thugs but they're smart enough to stay away from areas where their actions are likely to be violently stopped by their intended victims. I wonder how long the current riots would last if they were taking place outside the Queens residence?

It wasn't very long ago that there was a mass shooting in Arizona. Is it gun free these days? One of the folks on site that was packing later admitted that they very nearly shot a plain clothes officer by mistake. In the end, the folks that were carrying had no impact on the events.

Last edited by Smokey3214; 08/10/2011 10:30 AM.
BlueNose #458412 08/10/2011 10:32 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Bet'cha I'm more offended than you are.....nah nah nah nah nah .

Al

I took the Road Less Travelled. Now where the ****** am I?
Alatamoc #458413 08/10/2011 11:23 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Al

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #458414 08/10/2011 12:00 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Al

I'm sure you are!

One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep
BlueNose #458415 08/10/2011 12:39 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
John should give us a forum called fight club. Were politics and religion can be fussed over as long as it stays out of the other portions of the forum. Add evil laugh here

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #458416 08/10/2011 12:49 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
There are plenty of forums to rant on with your unique P.O.V, I should know, for I am the bane of political correctness where ever I find it. I was accused the other day of being Hitler incarnate, and I replied, "More like Stalin, because I would put your silly ass in a Gulag for thinking like that".

Ryk #458417 08/10/2011 1:17 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
the problem with a fight club thread is that it'd go on for thousands of pages when arguing over religion & politics
because theres no sure fire definition of right or wrong.

Chad youre asking for a Middle Eastern thread of biblical proportions. We need server space dedicated to awesome bike pictures.

brokenfixed #458418 08/10/2011 1:19 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

the problem with a fight club thread is that it'd go on for thousands of pages when arguing over religion & politics
because theres no sure fire definition of right or wrong.

Chad youre asking for a Middle Eastern thread of biblical proportions. We need server space dedicated to awesome bike pictures.

+1

Ryk #458419 08/10/2011 1:25 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
EVEN STALIN AGREES!...HAHA

Smokey3214 #458420 08/10/2011 2:15 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It wasn't very long ago that there was a mass shooting in Arizona. Is it gun free these days? One of the folks on site that was packing later admitted that they very nearly shot a plain clothes officer by mistake. In the end, the folks that were carrying had no impact on the events.

A gunman can get off several shots anywhere, even past secret service agents. The shooting in Tuscon was an attempted assassnation like the ones that go back to the beginning of time, not the same thing as the more recent kind of mass shootings. That said, it takes a Virginia Tech, Omaha shopping mall, Columbine high school or Norwegian summer camp "No Gun Zone" to give the mass shooters the chance to calmly walk around shooting, reloading and shooting some more.

What's happening in England right now is an example of what happens when you make an entire nation a no gun zone. With the law in Britain now favoring armed criminals over homeowners who try to protect themselves it's a wonder this didn't happen earlier.

ladisney #458421 08/10/2011 2:21 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

A gunman can get off several shots anywhere, even past secret service agents. The shooting in Tuscon was an attempted assassnation like the ones that go back to the beginning of time, not the same thing as the more recent kind of mass shootings. That said, it takes a Virginia Tech, Omaha shopping mall, Columbine high school or Norwegian summer camp "No Gun Zone" to give the mass shooters the chance to calmly walk around shooting, reloading and shooting some more.

What's happening in England right now is an example of what happens when you make an entire nation a no gun zone. With the law in Britain now favoring armed criminals over homeowners who try to protect themselves it's a wonder this didn't happen earlier.

+1 When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #458422 08/10/2011 2:27 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I don't know guys, we'vre been having massive riots (involving tens of thousands) here for months now and not a single shot was fired or neccessary.
The hooligans (not the bona-fide demonstrators) did however play tennis (with rocks) back and forth with the riot squad police (who also used tear gas).

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Bedouin #458423 08/10/2011 2:39 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Hey now you Greek feller! What gives ya the right to butt in here 'n talk 'bout this kinda stuff anyways, HUH?!

You ain't got no freedoms like WE'S got over here in the Good Ol' U.S. of A., ya know!!!

(...MAN how I LOVE playin' Johnny Carson's old "Floyd R. Turbo" character whenever I get the chance!!!!!)

The_Dog33 #458424 08/10/2011 2:41 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Guys that was a joke, maybe not to funny.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #458425 08/10/2011 2:48 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Which post do you mean?

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
StandingBull #458426 08/10/2011 2:51 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Well, I CERTAINLY HOPE you weren't talkin' about MY latest line up there, Chad!

'Cause I thought it was friggin' HILAROUS, dude!!!

(...and I'm SURE Thanassis got the joke, TOO!...RIGHT T-Man?!)

Dwight #458427 08/10/2011 3:03 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
OH! And btw here folks...JUST in case some you out there might be friggin' puppies and so you're way too young to remember Johnny Carson and/or Johnny's Floyd R. Turbo character, OR for those out there who live beyond the shores of America and thus were never privy to Johnny and/or his character of Floyd, then ALL ya have to do is watch this youtube video, and ALL will become CRYSTAL clear.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30qbv5BWks

Dwight #458428 08/10/2011 3:05 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Of course, besides, you came here and checked the place out yourself recently ...

Bedouin #458429 08/10/2011 3:13 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yep! And I have to TELL you that the whole time I was there I've NEVER felt sooooooo darn "under the thumb of Big Brother" OR sooooooo afraid of the "criminal element" out there around me, in my ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!

Dwight #458430 08/10/2011 3:21 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

OR sooooooo afraid of the "criminal element" out there around me, in my ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!

Yeah I know, you were afraid of getting stabbed ... by some hottie's lipstick ... while sitting at the cafes at 02;00 in the morning.

Dwight #458431 08/10/2011 3:24 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
OH, and btw AGAIN...bein' the EXTREMELY observant and insightful individual that I am, I got me a feelin' that SOMEBODY will shortly do their OWN "Floyd R, Turbo" in this thread and will say somethin' REALLY friggin' STUPID to me like, "Well Dwighty, if'n you don't like our freedoms here in the Good Ol' U.S. of A, then why don't ya just move to Greece?"

(...Yep, I'll give it about 90 friggin' minutes from now before SOMEBODY around here will tell me somethin' REALLY friggin' STUPID like that...any BETS out there???)

Dwight #458432 08/10/2011 3:25 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

Ok, I guess my joke about your joke failed cause I'm the only one who laughed.
Sorry it was a play on the offended fellows being offended too.
I guess it was not delivered correctly. I'll stop being a comedian and take up antagonism...........oh well only some times I guess.

Bedouin #458433 08/10/2011 3:30 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

OR sooooooo afraid of the "criminal element" out there around me, in my ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!

Yeah I know, you were afraid of getting stabbed ... by some hottie's lipstick ... while sitting at the cafes at 02;00 in the morning.

Oooooh! I WISH!!!!

StandingBull #458434 08/10/2011 3:32 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, I guess my joke about your joke failed cause I'm the only one who laughed.
Sorry it was a play on the offended fellows being offended too.
I guess it was not delivered correctly. I'll stop being a comedian and take up antagonism...........oh well only some times I guess.

Naaah! Don't give up on the comedy, Chad.

(...I've always sensed a glimmer of hope in you in THIS regard!!!)

Bedouin #458435 08/10/2011 3:44 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
yeah Chad I know, no harm no foul

well if youre looking to get into some internet scuffles, go over to www.stereokiller.com in the slander forum. Thats a freaking zoo

The_Dog33 #458436 08/10/2011 3:45 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
Quote:

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I can't believe you threw out THAT old chestnut... How many t-shirts and/or belt buckles and/or license plate frames do you have with that?

Maybe we should start calling you The Sphinx. "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
StandingBull #458437 08/10/2011 3:51 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

You need to be careful with jokes in here Mate as they can be taken the wrong way and you could be subjected to a verbal assault by a he-man in his pyjamas hiding behind his computer in a distant land.

FriarJohn #458438 08/10/2011 3:51 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I only have a sticker on the front of my helmet that says that but there is a lot of truth in that sticker!

By the way , what walks of 4 legs in the morning, 2 legs in the afternoon , and 3 legs in the evening?

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #458439 08/10/2011 3:53 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
is the answer on your helmet?

FriarJohn #458440 08/10/2011 3:54 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Yea, I like this better, if you shoot all the outlaws you don't need guns anymore. But we wouldn't have a government either so we would need the guns to protect us from other countries. But who would lead the military. Then we would have to have government again, then we would have crime again. This has become a mess.

brokenfixed #458441 08/10/2011 3:56 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
Quote:

is the answer on your helmet?

!

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard