Next Thread
Print Thread
H-D announces closure of their Kansas City plant
#591529 01/30/2018 5:06 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
Considering I've recently heard that their market share and unit sales numbers have been falling of late, have to say this bit of news doesn't seem surprising to me.

Seems, and as we know, those Millennials out there not getting into the motorcycle scene in any numbers close to what we Boomers did in our youth, are finally having an affect upon this industry.

Hmmmm, I also have to wonder if the slow rise of that other American-built "Heritage" brand Indian, OF which btw in about two weeks I'll have one of their Springfield models sitting in my garage...a very low mileage(only 1400 miles on the odometer) 2016 model year I found on the net in the Chicago area(saved about $4-5K over a new one) might also be a small contributing factor to this?

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Re: H-D announces closure of their Kansas City plant
Dwight #591530 01/30/2018 6:23 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Here's the H-D statement to the Kansas City local news stations.

"As we continue to improve our cost structure and maintain world-class manufacturing operations, we are launching a significant, multi-year manufacturing optimization initiative that is anchored in the consolidation of our Kansas City, Mo. final assembly operations into our York, Pa. final assembly plant.

This decision was made after very careful consideration of our manufacturing footprint and the appropriate capacity given the current business environment. We are constantly evaluating capacity and our current U.S. capacity exceeds U.S. demand. Approximately 800 full-time, causal and contract positions will be impacted at the Kansas City plant. Layoffs are expected to begin mid-year and the facility will close in the third quarter of 2019. We anticipate an increase of approximately 450 full-time, casual and contractor positions will be added at our York facility, which will be expanded to support additional production.

This was a decision we did not take lightly. The Kansas City plant has been assembling Harley-Davidson motorcycles since 1997, and our employees will leave a great legacy of quality, pride and manufacturing leadership. We are grateful to them and the Kansas City community for their many years of support and their service to our dealers and our riders."

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
Dwight #591531 01/30/2018 6:24 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Hey, would't that purchase be considered kind of an "upgrade"?

Fidelis et Fortis
Dwight #591532 01/30/2018 6:49 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
The heck with Harley. I want to hear more about your Springfield, Dwight.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
arstaren #591533 01/30/2018 7:59 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
Quote:

Hey, would't that purchase be considered kind of an "upgrade"?

Somehow I KNEW you'd go there, Rich!

(...you little trouble-maker, you!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
PES #591534 01/30/2018 8:35 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
As you probably know Paul, I've been hot to own a Springfield since Indian introduced that model in 2016. And so, finding one on the internet with only 1400 miles on the clock at a BMW motorcycle dealership located in the suburbs of Chicago last week, AND which would save me about $4-5K over a new one, I decided to take the leap. In other words, I let the first owner take that depreciation hit that all new vehicles take the moment their wheels hit the tarmac.

It also still has 6 months left on its factory warranty too, and so if there is ultimately any problems to be found with it, I'll be able to take it to the Scottsdale dealership and say "fix it, dude!". Don't expect I'll have to though, as from what I understand these new Polaris Indians are pretty much rock-solidly engineered.

It's in classic Indian Red, and which I think just makes the big Indian model even more "classic" looking. Funny thing is that for 2018, Indian no longer is offering an all red version, but just two-toned ones other than their basic black.

Here's the bike:

https://www.bmwmotorcyclesofcountryside....eOwnedInventory

The deal was finalized yesterday, and now all I'll have to do is set-up the transportation with one of the motorcycle transport companies of which I've already investigated a couple of 'em. Cost: 600 bucks from Chicago to my door here in beautiful picturesque Sedona AZ.

(...and another cool thing about the deal is that the first owner has added about a Grand in accessories on it too)

Dwight #591535 01/30/2018 10:12 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
i would have rode it out to ya for a plane ride back.

we should do this every weekend!
Yota #591536 01/30/2018 10:19 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Not that anyone would care but they're also closing a small plant in Adelaide Australia that made wheels for them.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
Yota #591537 01/30/2018 10:26 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
Quote:

i would have rode it out to ya for a plane ride back.

I'll bet you WOULD, JR!

(...but I'd like to put the next 1400 miles on its odometer)

Dwight #591538 01/30/2018 10:40 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
Ya know, I have to wonder if unlike the motorcycle sales crash that occurred in the mid-'80s, IF we might never again see such a resurgence in sales as there was by the mid-'90s???

And once again considering the thought that the youngins today are just not into motorcycling like we Boomers were back in the day.

Any thoughts on this, gentlemen?

(...oh, and you too JR)

Dwight #591539 01/30/2018 10:59 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
There has been some stuff about this in magazines and internet places. ONE of the reasons for the younger generation not getting on bikes is the "safety" factor. Todays parents are much more into a "safe environment and play" for their kids, and it kinda sticks. Young people today would rather twiddle their fingers around their "face suckers" than buy a machine that could get them hurt. In a word, a bunch of pussies. When I look at the "womens power movement", I think that maybe they deserve it. Todays guys ARE kinda wimpy, if not downright dumb. I'm generalizing, of course.

Fidelis et Fortis
Dwight #591540 01/30/2018 11:42 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Looks nice Dwight. Congratulaions!

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
Dwight #591541 01/31/2018 12:30 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I think a lot of the next generation carrying on the tradition of riding motorcycles depends on them being exposed to the experience and their personal desires. Personally, I have four sons in my family and one grandson so far, with three of the four ride. Two have Triumphs, one has a Thunderbird Storm, another has the Tiger 800 adventure bike and the third has a Honda Shadow. My Grandson has a CB 900 Honda. Life is Good! PS: Nice Bike Dwight, does this mean, its time for a road trip soon?

Last edited by HabuBA; 01/31/2018 12:33 AM.
HabuBA #591542 01/31/2018 1:48 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Good job Dwight, they are great bikes.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #591543 01/31/2018 3:30 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Nice bike you have gotten yourself there Dwight, I would be interested to know what is the quickest when the road gets twisty 1800cc or 800cc, keep us posted..

arstaren #591544 01/31/2018 8:48 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

There has been some stuff about this in magazines and internet places. ONE of the reasons for the younger generation not getting on bikes is the "safety" factor. Todays parents are much more into a "safe environment and play" for their kids, and it kinda sticks. Young people today would rather twiddle their fingers around their "face suckers" than buy a machine that could get them hurt. In a word, a bunch of pussies. When I look at the "womens power movement", I think that maybe they deserve it. Todays guys ARE kinda wimpy, if not downright dumb.
I'm generalizing, of course.

Yes but I reckon you're right by and large.Of course there's some really tough and good young guys out there but I think mainly you are correct.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
Peter_AU #591545 01/31/2018 8:50 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Nice bike you have gotten yourself there Dwight, I would be interested to know what is the quickest when the road gets twisty 1800cc or 800cc, keep us posted..

Yep.What Peter said Dwight.I'd be interested also.I'm planning on the new speedmaster but keeping my America.I'd like to hear your thoughts on the bigger vs smaller bike.

Dinosaur.

findlay13 #591546 01/31/2018 9:08 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
It's interesting. As a young man I wanted a motorcycle. Eventually got one as a teenager and rode it for a few years. When I got married, the bike scene was unsustainable since I had to earn enough money to support 4 boys. Now, as a more mature individual with grandkids and the boys married up, I still have a desire to ride, own a Triumph, but none of my 4 boys do. They're more interested in travel along with raising their families. No interest in motorcycles.... what is it with this generation?

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750
findlay13 #591547 01/31/2018 9:58 AM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Quote:

Quote:

Yep.What Peter said Dwight.I'd be interested also.I'm planning on the new speedmaster but keeping my America.I'd like to hear your thoughts on the bigger vs smaller bike.

My 750lb.+ Tbird handles as well as my 500lb TBA did. I test road an Indian Chieftain and Classic and they handled well but not quite as well as the Triumphs IMO. Rich seemed to do pretty well keeping up in the curves when he went to the AR rally with his Classic.

MACMC #591548 01/31/2018 10:17 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

"...This decision was made after very careful consideration of our manufacturing footprint and the appropriate capacity given the current business environment. "

They should have carefully considered CAPACITY years ago as the illustrious Harley Davidson shot themselves in the foot a long time ago, HUM, around the late 90s? when they started overproducing and consequently drove the resale value in the dirt. Then they stabbed Eric in the groin. And puked up the V-Rod.

But they are a 'merican world heritage site, er a (spit) great company nonetheless.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
Dwight #591549 01/31/2018 10:29 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

... Hmmmm, I also have to wonder if the slow rise of that other American-built "Heritage" brand Indian, OF which btw in about two weeks I'll have one of their Springfield models sitting in my garage...a very low mileage(only 1400 miles on the odometer) 2016 model year I found on the net in the Chicago area(saved about $4-5K over a new one)...

Dang! Sounds like a beaut dee'white. I'm with JR...I would have flown to Chi-town, picked up your 'new to you' ride, and delivered it forthwith to beautiful Sedona. Okay if JR showed up too, he could have rode beech. as newt would write, "ahahahahaha..."

"ENJOY"

Blowing gravel off rural roads
PES #591550 01/31/2018 10:42 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My 750lb.+ Tbird handles as well as my 500lb TBA did. I test road an Indian Chieftain and Classic and they handled well but not quite as well as the Triumphs IMO. Rich seemed to do pretty well keeping up in the curves when he went to the AR rally with his Classic.

That's one of the beauties of the Polaris built bike. While big and heavy machines both the Vic's and Indian's have very good ground clearance. Now with their design long legged chap's will find their knees are definitely in the breeze.

Congratulation's Dwight, the Springfield is one of their nicer designs with a proper rake.

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
moe #591551 01/31/2018 1:30 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Quote:

I'm with JR...I would have flown to Chi-town, picked up your 'new to you' ride, and delivered it forthwith to beautiful Sedona.

You guys do know it’s winter, right? 20’s and 30’s on Th and Fr with 70% chance of snow Sat. Winter in Chicago is not the same as winter in Fl.

PES #591552 01/31/2018 2:43 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
HD has been working on this closure for a long time. A few years back I was commuting from Milwaukee to KC every week. There would always be a bunch of HD factory guys on the flights. They were talking about documentation and assembly practices that there transferring from KC to the plant in India. Not copying, transferring. I am surprised that plant staid open as long as it has.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #591553 01/31/2018 9:16 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore

Last edited by mikemm03; 01/31/2018 9:17 PM.
mikemm03 #591554 02/01/2018 12:08 AM
Dwight Offline OP
Fe Butt
OP Offline
Fe Butt
Quote:

Polaris down as well.https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/tu...st-013118-|tpfn

Thanks for the link here, Mike. I especially enjoyed reading many of the comments posted in it. There were a lot of keenly observed and stated posts in it which I felt had been offered up by some pretty smart people.

(...I even posted one myself...just figured someone had to lower the level of intelligent discourse there, and so why not ME!)

mikemm03 #591555 02/01/2018 3:40 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's one of the beauties of the Polaris built bike. While big and heavy machines both the Vic's and Indian's have very good ground clearance. Now with their design long legged chap's will find their knees are definitely in the breeze.

Congratulation's Dwight, the Springfield is one of their nicer designs with a proper rake.

The only victory I have ridden was the judge, great motor , great looking bike but would drag its pegs the minute you thought about a corner my TBA would run away from it in any sort of twisty road, can't say anything about the rest of the victory range because i havn't ridden them.

Dwight #591556 02/01/2018 6:35 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

(...I even posted one myself...just figured someone had to lower the level of intelligent discourse there, and so why not ME!)

Hey Dwight, long time no see. Congrats on the new ride, will this be the only one operable amongst your stable of classics?

Ps. can't help but pull you up for using the superfluous "U" in discourse.

Ride on....and give our regards to Judy

dollarbill #591557 02/01/2018 7:36 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Harley did away with the whole Dyna line of bikes blending them into the new Softail line, Thus the consolidation of operations. Indians are very nice but they need a new midsize bike in their line up,Softail size.

Tin Man 2
tinmantwo #591558 02/01/2018 3:00 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Harley is stuck in the past due to a lack of vision. The VRod was not accepted when it was marketed to the old geezers who really have a hard time accepting change. The old guys are dying off....

You will notice the way Triumph is going with their fleet. The Explorer or Tiger series is growing at a tremendous rate along with the classic Bonneville line and crotch rockets. The Bonnys seem to really appeal to the younger generation which Triumph appears to be reaching in their adds. You don't see any fat old foggies in the adds riding these bikes. A lot of the people purchasing these bikes don't even know the heritage aspect of the line. I'm glad Triumph has tried to make them retro though. These bikes are selling. What about the cruiser line.... Thunderbird is gone, America is gone, Speedy is back but in a smaller package (with a bigger engine). Trophy appears to be gone. The Rocket....well, it's suppose to be coming back with a complete new package somewhere in 2019 according to the rumour mill. So what's the point? Flexibility and the ability to meet changing desires, that's what will keep sales up.

We're a fickle lot....

Dwight, glad you got your hands on an Indian. Great looking bikes. I helped my brotherinlaw trade in his Heritage Softail for a new Indian last summer. He loves it along with the reliability. So why did you purchase an Indian instead of a Triumph Cruiser or HD one?

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #591559 02/01/2018 3:35 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I like my Triumph America, but lets be realistic, Triumph got out of the Cruiser game because they could not compete. Not because of superior "vision". Lets face facts, if folks want a nice roadster they think Bonneville, if they want a Cruiser they think Harley or maybe Indian. Nothing wrong with this, it's hard to change peoples perceptions.

Tin Man 2
tinmantwo #591560 02/01/2018 4:25 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
And that's the point. Triumph got out of the cruiser business because they're cruisers weren't selling even though they have quality machines. But they have the flexibility to sell other types. Harley cruisers don't seem to be selling that well either (according to Harley) and what do they do.....keep trying to sell them...

How does Harley adapt to the changing demographics....?

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #591561 02/01/2018 7:58 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Soon to be right back where they were before the buy out.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!

Link Copied to Clipboard