Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I got to face one of my long-standing fears.....
#571683 09/25/2015 6:49 AM
Hairdoo Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Last weekend on my way back to virginia from new york on my 2012 storm, I had just gotten onto route 78 from 287 in new jersey. There was a lot of wind that day - and especially cross-winds - the weather felt unsettled. So the bike kept getting blown around - not a lot - just enough to feel a little wobbly when the gusts picked up.

I was cruising along at about 75mph when another gust came up and I felt a little wobble. the gust subsided, but the bike started to wobble even harder....which was different than the rest of the day to that point. Stupidly, I wiggled the bars a little to see if everything felt solid....now it REALLY started to oscillate back and forth at the rear - like I was driving an old mustang up a hill in an ice storm.

I immediately let off the throttle, was lucky to have a clear path to the shoulder, and got the bike off the road safely. The rear tire was flat as a pancake. I had a friend riding with me, and asked him to look at the tire as I rolled the bike slowly forward - and there it was, a screwdriver bit stuck into the tread, right by the sidewall.

I pulled out my phone and called AMA and settled in for the inevitable 90 minute wait for a flatbed to show up.
(I had a plug kit in my bag, but no air - I had left that at home because I "never use it" and needed some extra space this trip.)

In the meantime, I started looking for a shop nearby to take the bike to that would be open on a sunday and would be able to help me out somehow. Williams Harley Davidson was 9 miles away and open until 4 (it was just before 1pm when I was calling) - so, I called them to see if they could help get me back on the road - I mean - a tire is a tire, right?

BZZZZTT. not a chance. they had absolutely no interest whatsoever in doing anything for me. "you're on a triumph? yeah - I'm the only one here - try the polaris dealer." - "they're closed today" - "oh - well, good luck, buddy"

then, using google maps and searching on "motorcycle" - I found a little shop 3.9 miles from me and gave them a call - it was an independent shop named "John's cycle repair and parts". They let me know that they close at 3, and I should really try to get there before that....but they understood that I was awaiting a tow and asked me to keep them apprised of my status, which I did.

The tow driver had trouble finding me, and finally got there about 2:30 - by the time we got the bike on the flatbed and tied down, I knew we'd be cutting it close. We got to the shop at 2:51.....they weren't thrilled, but understood it was beyond my control

I can't say enough about the nice people at John's. It's a family business - really old looking shop with parts and bikes everywhere.

They very quickly, with all hand tools, got my wheel off, tire off, saw that the screwdriver bit had dug into the sidewall enough that I wasn't comfortable patching it. They had my size tire - and I paid a reasonable price (170 for the tire, and 90 for the labor) and was back on the road a little after 4. They even gave me and my buddy a pepsi, since we'd been on the side of the road in the sun for a while - from the cooler they had there for themselves.

I really have always feared getting a flat - especially at speed on a busy highway. And I will still always worry a little about that - but I could not have gotten more lucky all the way around on this experience.

Oh - one final note - they checked my front tire pressure - it was at 22....when asked when I last checked the tire pressure, I had to sheepishly admit that it was in June when I got new tires...."John" pointed out that, if I'd been keeping up with that, and kept the tires at 36 or so where they belong, I would have had a much lower chance of puncture in the first place - and gently admonished me to check at least once a month. Point taken.

Last edited by Hairdoo; 09/25/2015 6:53 AM.

...you're gonna feel a little pressure....
Re: I got to face one of my long-standing fears.....
Hairdoo #571684 09/25/2015 8:52 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Sounds like a proper motorcycle shop. The kind that are hard to find anymore.

Hermit #571685 09/25/2015 10:09 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Glad it all worked out ok.It's good when you find a shop like that.My local bike shop is the same small town great service type.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
findlay13 #571686 09/25/2015 12:30 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I assume that the Storm had a Metzler tire on the back. The ME880's have a notoriously thin skin and are easy to puncture. I picked up a 1/2" bolt on my Rocket several years ago. For that and several other reasons, I will never install a Metzler on any of my bikes again if at all possible.

Glad you made it through the ordeal.

tdragger #571687 09/25/2015 2:26 PM
Hairdoo Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
as a matter of fact, it did have a metzler. it has a shinko now, since that's what they had that fit.....I haven't heard anything awful about those - a little less grip than some others. (and I could have gotten it on line for about 135.00....) but all in all, I can't complain.

Hairdoo #571688 09/25/2015 7:16 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Well I'm glad ya hairdoo did t get mussed up.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
tdragger #571689 09/25/2015 7:32 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I assume that the Storm had a Metzler tire on the back. The ME880's have a notoriously thin skin and are easy to puncture. I picked up a 1/2" bolt on my Rocket several years ago. For that and several other reasons, I will never install a Metzler on any of my bikes again if at all possible.

Glad you made it through the ordeal.

I had metzlers on my bike and had a speed wobble at about 70 mph.Tried everything to find out what it was,wheel alignment, wheel balance, fork oil etc.It was a cupped front tire.Switched to Bridgestones ,never looked back.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
findlay13 #571690 09/26/2015 8:15 AM
Hairdoo Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I'll say this - it happened too fast to be scared. But I thank God it wasn't more catastrophic where it took the bike down or something. At that speed - no thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard