Print Thread
Rear wheel nut size
#21470 09/07/2005 9:21 PM
herbz Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Hi all
Could anyone tell me the size of the real wheel nuts, ie, size spanner/socket to remove the rear wheel.
and if there is any tricky part in removing the real wheel also.
Many thanks this will be of great help, safe riding
Herb

herbz
Re: Rear wheel nut size
herbz #21471 09/08/2005 12:28 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
22mm on the brake side, 24mm on the sprocket side. Removing and installing was just posted in another thread today. Basically it goes like this:

Jack up bike, remove brake caliper, loosen rear axle, take the tension off the chain by screwing in each adjuster, remove axle, remove chain, then roll the wheel out from the bike.

The caliper mounting plate will want to hang loose and put strain on the brake line. Support it out of the way. Clean and grease the axle and spacers before re-installing. While you have the wheel off, inspect the cush drive rubber for wear(it's inside the wheel behind the rear sprocket). Be sure to retract the adjuster before axle/spindle removal or re-insertion.

The tricky part isn't removal, it's when you re-install everything. I'll toss out Moe's tips from an earlier thread:

When replacing the rear wheel, set a 2by (lever) under the wheel with a block of wood (fulcrum) under it. Place the spacers within the seals, put the chain on the sprocket, and get the wheel close to the spindle holes. Then place the caliper plate on. Now you can work the spindle in from the left then use the lever to raise the wheel for the other side. It does help with the task.

The caliper plate is installed last with the spindle holding it in place (partial insertion of the spindle).

My 2 cents: I'd put the chain on before installing the spacers.
---------------

Getting the caliper plate, the spacers, and the chain tension adjusters all lined up to put the axle through can be a tedious task. It helps a lot if you put new grease on the spacers which allow them to stick to the seals. It's not a glue-like stick, but should be enough to get the axle through before they fall off if you're careful. Having somebody to help by holding the tire while you get the axle through is also a good idea, IME.

Re: Rear wheel nut size
SalMaglie #21472 09/08/2005 5:37 PM
herbz Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
That info was great, many thanks salmaglie your wonderful.
have a real good day, thanks again.
Herb

herbz

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard