Print Thread
This is a stupid law
#595161 10/14/2018 6:57 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Overview from Alberta Gov.
Sikhs who wear turbans have been granted an exemption to the Vehicle Equipment Regulation in the Traffic Safety Act.

This means drivers or passengers who are over 18 and are bona fide members of the Sikh religion can ride a motorcycle or off-highway vehicle without using a helmet.

Turbans are an integral part of the Sikh identity. This decision allows them to ride without having to remove their turban.

Alberta is the third jurisdiction in Canada to allow this exemption, alongside British Columbia and Manitoba.

I did not know that BC and Man allow a Sikh to drive without a helmet if they wear a turban and now Alberta. That's plain stupid! I know many of you live in states where helmets are optional and yes it feels good cruising down the road with your hair blowing in the wind like letting the genitals feel the breeze on a beach or the comfort of not wearing a bathing suit in a hot tub etc but why would you drive an MC without a helmet when everyone else who is on a MC has a helmet on? I hope that if you declare that you are Sihk and apply for MC insurance you pay 10X what I pay.

Re: This is a stupid law
SMJoe #595162 10/14/2018 10:38 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
While I understand their religion, I can't agree with an exemption for no helmet riding a motorcycle.

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #595163 10/15/2018 5:21 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

While I understand their religion, I can't agree with an exemption for no helmet riding a motorcycle.

Yeah, but maybe anyone who Sikhs..ahem..I mean anyone who SEEKS to ride a motorcycle in Canada, and regardless if they're Sikhs or not, and who would like to ride ALL year round, would be best advised to move to the United States and not ONLY because depending upon WHICH state they'd decide to move to, there'd be a lesser chance of them freezing their little Sikh asses off while riding around during the Winter months, but then maybe move to one of the states where ALL people regardless their race, creed or religion can make the dumb-assed choice to ride WITHOUT a helmet IF they're stupid enough to do so???

(...I mean around HERE in Arizona, a no-mandatory helmet law state, I see those riding around ALL the time with their little doo-rags on their little noggins, and so I wouldn't be at ALL surprised to see some Sikh ridin' around, and ALL year LONG I might add, with one of those funny lookin' turbans on their little heads!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #595164 10/15/2018 11:11 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Could there be a market for Kevlar Turbans? BTW, there is a big load of Hair wrapped up under their Beanies. Must be why you never see a Sikh Barber, they would starve to death.

Ryk #595165 10/16/2018 8:13 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
I am thinking they have to shellac the turban to keep it from unraveling at speed. Ryk I like the idea of a Kevlar turban maybe it could fit over the cloth turban and they would look like the Conehead Family from SNL.
"Duck passing under bridges!"

The other possiblity or liability is they pull an Isadora Duncan.

SMJoe #595166 10/16/2018 9:38 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

I am thinking they have to shellac the turban to keep it from unraveling at speed. Ryk I like the idea of a Kevlar turban maybe it could fit over the cloth turban and they would look like the Conehead Family from SNL.
"Duck passing under bridges!"

The other possiblity or liability is they pull an Isadora Duncan.

They'll change the law after the turban gets caught in a drive train or wheel and their life is turbinated.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
luvdemstillers #595167 10/17/2018 7:38 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
A "bona fide" Sikh?

What, do they have union cards or something?

jamesbrown #595168 10/17/2018 1:22 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Will they be allowed to conceal their shastars in the Turbans. They do have some interesting color combos.
Are the various colors like Boy Scout Badges, camping, swimming, rifle.
Or are the various colors levels of respect, grand poobah etc?

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
mikemm03 #595169 10/17/2018 9:07 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Hey guys I am not interested in slamming the Sikhs the turban and rolled up beard are ID enough I just dont get why they are given special treatment under a law concerning safety or why they would want to ride around without a helmet in a land where its the law for everyone to wear a helmet and we all know how some drivers get when they see someone on a motorcycle breaking the law. ie. lane splitting (let alone the predijuices some people have)

SMJoe #595170 10/17/2018 10:32 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Hey guys I am not interested in slamming the Sikhs the turban and rolled up beard are ID enough I just dont get why they are given special treatment under a law concerning safety or why they would want to ride around without a helmet in a land where its the law for everyone to wear a helmet and we all know how some drivers get when they see someone on a motorcycle breaking the law. ie. lane splitting (let alone the predijuices some people have)

Well, like I said earlier Paul, what I don't understand is why any motorcyclist would choose to live where they can't ride all year long without freezin' their butt off half the year if they did, and so why a Sikh, or for THAT matter ANYONE regardless of their race, creed or RELIGION wouldn't consider moving to one of the states in the good ol' U.S. of A., and specifically to some WARM weather state where people can LEGALLY ride their motorcycles IF they're dumb enough to ride one withOUT a helmet on their head. Uh-huh, like Arizona for instance! And HEY, I'm pretty sure those yahoos down in Texas haven't got a mandatory helmet law EITHER!

(...sooooo, is THAT a little more "ecumenical" for ya here, ol' boy?!...SEE?! I didn't make fun of anyone's RELIGION here, now did I?!...NOOOO, I just made fun of where some people choose to LIVE, that's all...well okay, and those that don't wear a freakin' helmet when they hop on their motorcycles!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #595171 10/17/2018 11:23 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

Well, like I said earlier Paul, what I don't understand is why any motorcyclist would choose to live where they can't ride all year long without freezin' their butt off half the year if they did, and so why a Sikh, or for THAT matter ANYONE regardless of their race, creed or RELIGION wouldn't consider moving to one of the states in the good ol' U.S. of A., and specifically to some WARM weather state where people can LEGALLY ride their motorcycles IF they're dumb enough to ride one withOUT a helmet on their head. Uh-huh, like Arizona for instance! And HEY, I'm pretty sure those yahoos down in Texas haven't got a mandatory helmet law EITHER!

(...sooooo, is THAT a little more "ecumenical" for ya here, ol' boy?!...SEE?! I didn't make fun of anyone's RELIGION here, now did I?!...NOOOO, I just made fun of where some people choose to LIVE, that's all...well okay, and those that don't wear a freakin' helmet when they hop on their motorcycles!)

Six months minus a day is the limit for us Cannucks in US that would get us through most of the non riding season here. My turban already has carbon fibre in it.

Last edited by SMJoe; 10/17/2018 11:25 PM.
SMJoe #595172 10/18/2018 1:56 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Six months minus a day is the limit for us Cannucks in US that would get us through most of the non riding season here. My turban already has carbon fibre in it.

Well, I HOPE you know that we AMERICANS(and where some of us live in more temperate climes) spell the "fiber" in the CORRECT manner, sir!!!

Uh-huh, just like it's pronounced. I mean, do even you Canadians pronounce that word as "FI-bre"? NOOOOO, of course you don't. Heck, even you Canadians pronounce it "FI-ber", now don't YOU?!

Dwight #595173 10/18/2018 7:41 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I HOPE you know that we AMERICANS(and where some of us live in more temperate climes) spell the "fiber" in the CORRECT manner, sir!!!

Uh-huh, just like it's pronounced. I mean, do even you Canadians pronounce that word as "FI-bre"? NOOOOO, of course you don't. Heck, even you Canadians pronounce it "FI-ber", now don't YOU?!

We tend to reserve the spelling Fiber for the stuff that keeps one regular everything else is Fibre.

Heck, blame it on Les Francois

SMJoe #595174 05/03/2019 9:39 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
At least Dwight isn't bugging you about the superfluous "U".

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750
SMJoe #600119 05/10/2020 4:45 PM
SMJoe Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
With two Cargill meat packing plants closing here in Canada there won't be any Superfluous Ewes around to eat.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard