Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Warm up techniques
#593703 06/27/2018 9:27 AM
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Anyone posted on how they warm their motor depending on the oil (not the brand! ) and the climate? It'd be very interesting to hear how you not only warm your BNA, but your other bikes too. I run twennyfitty full syn and warm a good five minutes depending on the temp, longer on cold days. Dino has a longer warm up time, correct? Neighbor told me some time ago how he doesn't feel the need to warm synthetic as long as dino.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
Re: Warm up techniques
luvdemstillers #593704 06/27/2018 2:28 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I start the bike, take my glasses off, put my helmet on, put my glasses back on and drive away. I use 10W40 synthetic oil, I don't think we are supposed to use 20W50.

'06 America, Raask foot controls, the bike use to be Graphite and Silver, now its Red and Black.
luvdemstillers #593705 06/27/2018 7:42 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have never been a long warm up time person outside of when I would ride in rather cold weather.
Mostly I tend to open the fast idle/choke to the first stop, second stop(full on) may be needed for temps 60 and below. Start the motor. When warm outside I will push the fast idle knob in just a bit if idle is already up to perceived high idle. Then put my gear on. Climb on and ride away. Short run to the main road. Pull away and as I reach highway speed I reach down and push the fast idle knob back in to its off position.
Have run 10W-40 oil when new as that was the Triumph recommended product at the time. Have run 20W-50 during the summer before but don't go out of my way to purchase it. Will say that the clatter from the motor top end is a bit less with the heavier oil. But mostly run the currently recommended 10W-50 oil these days.

09 America, some modifications
MattyMo #593706 06/28/2018 12:51 AM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
All cars still have thermostats for two reasons, you have access to cabin heat quicker and motor oil, even synthetics have an optimum operating temperature range at which the oil performs to spec. A slow and steady warm up period also allows the different alloys within an engine to expand to the dimensions reached at initial break in. If you have time, let it warm up, if you're running late, get on and ride, it's a matter of choice, circumstance and respect for your engine.

Ryk #593707 06/30/2018 5:47 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I like to start the bike, with it standing straight up, watch the oil pressure come up to full, then back on the side stand. Put on my helmet and stuff. And away I go.

Always 20-50 full synthetic. Over 30k miles since the 904 build. Still running like a top.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #593708 07/20/2018 9:20 AM
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I had a tech ask me if i ran my choke at warm up, which i thought odd seeing as i never broached the subject. He told me not to. Use it to start it, then push it in and let the bike do it's thing. When the motor is running a steady higher rpm, i guess it's good to go. But i'm glad not too many think it's bad to just jump on and go. I just hate to bang on a cold bike. I met up with some vintage riders and some run 20/50 also. What is the major difference between the motors then and now or is that to keep the motor leaks down?

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
luvdemstillers #593709 07/20/2018 9:25 AM
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Micah, you have a gauge for the rebuild. You like the performance better? And Ryk, quite insightful. Thanks all

luvdemstillers #593710 07/20/2018 4:28 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I start then idle until I reckon ( guess) the oils reached the cylinder head...then run gently for a mile or so ..... whatever I do the bike always runs much better after a decent run ..then stop for a few minutes...after that it seems to run at its best.

I took the Road Less Travelled. Now where the ****** am I?
luvdemstillers #593711 07/23/2018 11:06 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

Micah, you have a gauge for the rebuild. You like the performance better? And Ryk, quite insightful. Thanks all

I added an oil pressure gauge when I made the oil coolers. I had posted pix back when, but the links appear gone.

As for performance, last time on the dyno over 84 hp at the wheel. Since then I changed out the ignition to the Firestarter, and it feels even stronger.

A more that 30hp from stock change, very fun. Arm pulling fun. I recommend it.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #593712 07/27/2018 10:43 AM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I start my bike roll out of the shed then ride up to the driveway,choke still on. Let it run until my glasses are on or what ever I need to do before going then just go. I keep my choke on until I ride maybe 100yds down the road.I made an oil pressure gauge for my bike too.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #593713 08/11/2018 7:52 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I start the bike vertically with the choke fully open.after a half a minute or so I push it about half way in.Then another half to full minute all the way it.Let it run for another minute then go gently for the first mile or so.I read that it takes 3 minutes for oil to reach operating temperature and you should be good to go.The times are guesstimates

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
luvdemstillers #593714 08/31/2018 1:02 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
The choke on the America is not really a choke. It simply adds a little more fuel to the mix which is helpful while the engine is cold. A real choke restricts the air flow and causes a higher fuel to air ratio while it is on. It also causes the engine to run like crap once it warms up. The bike will stall if you give it too much throttle with the choke on with a warm engine.

The carburated America, on the other hand, will run just fine with the "choke" on all day but your fuel mileage will be reduced and it will idle much faster. It will eliminate the lean popping at idle while decelerating in gear because of the extra fuel being dumped into the carbs. I've gotten into the habit of shutting it off almost as soon as the engine starts. On just a couple of occasions I've forgotten to do so when I've immediately gotten on the highway. The bike runs just fine but I've had to switch to reserve much quicker. If I have to stop I notice it because it idles at about 3,000 rpm.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.

Moderated by  chy, freedom, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard