by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Who are you, Why do you live where you live?
MattyMo #431448 06/11/2011 8:53 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Welcome to the site Stephen and you too Matt.

MattyMo #431449 06/13/2011 10:15 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Paul and I recently joined after purchasing my new to me 2002 Bonneville America from another forum member here, Mr. SSJONES. Very nice gentleman to meet in person and quite a nice bike as well.

I was born in Germany in '73 while my dad was in the US Army serving. We lived there for a year then he was transferred to FT Meade, MD and stayed there for 6 or 7 years until my dad decided to leave the military to be closer to family and we moved back to the Pittsburgh PA area where i've been since.

Graduated from high school in '91. Got married in '93 and became a dad shortly after and again in '96 to two wonderful sons. Been married for almost 18 years now.

Worked for local government as a truck driver then euipment operator while volunteering in the fire service while going to school to prepare for the safety services field. Became a Fire/Building Inspector over 4 years ago.

I was a gearhead in high school always tinkering with cars and dirtbikes. I've ridden dirtbikes and quads for the most part of my life and have had a streetbike and dualsport as well. Now that my son is driving I wanted to get back into the streetbike scene to add the third vehicle without adding alot of insurance.

So here I am. Seems like a really cool site and hope to be here for awhile.

Last edited by Bell22; 06/13/2011 10:17 PM.

02 TBA Cardinal Red/Black
Bell22 #431450 06/13/2011 10:32 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Gidday Paul. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people here and helptful info. What area are you in?

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
foglefar #431451 06/13/2011 10:39 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Gidday Paul. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people here and helptful info. What area are you in?

Pittsburgh, PA USA...home of the 6-time Superbowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

02 TBA Cardinal Red/Black
foglefar #431452 06/14/2011 8:08 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hello Paul from down under x2

Peace in the country when the sun goes down , the corn is gettin' high
Silky #431453 06/14/2011 6:55 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Welcome, from across the pond

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
FrankW #431454 06/17/2011 10:54 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Let's see... I'm a million different things and it all simply wraps up in being me.

I'm a mother to two boys - ages 8 and 18. I've been a wife and it simply does not suit me well. I was born in Lower Bucks in Pennsylvania. I've lived in PA for most of my life, barring a short stint in Georgia, which I simply loved. I'd live somewhere else, but, as I mentioned before, I have two sons who have roots here, so I own a home here. Someday, I plan to retire from my day job (another piece of me is that I have worked in a children's psychiatric hospital for fifteen years) and buy an RV and with the bike and the RV, travel the continent.

In addition to my day job, I am a small business owner. I run a mental health transcription business. I currently have two doctors who I work with - a psychiatrist and a psychologist. It is... interesting. They are both incredibly brilliant men who have accomplished some amazing things. Anyone in NEPA need a shrink, let me know...

Even though I primarily live here - NEPA - because my children are rooted here, it really is not a bad place to live at all. The winters are cold as hell and messy, but the ground doesn't rumble under my feet and tornados are fairly rare.... hurricanes are fun to watch and never too severe here. We have incredible forests and mountains (the Appalachian trail is not far at all from my home). Cost of living and home prices are not bad at all, either, and we are just a few hours from New York, Philadelphia, Delaware, Washington, DC, and New Jersey (matter of a fact, I just rode the Triumph to the Jersey Shore and am camping in Cape May as I type this!).

~*JaydeRaven*~ Proud rider of a 2003 Triumph America (April 2011) and a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan (October 2009)
JaydeRaven #431455 06/17/2011 12:18 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
I like the part about 'being me.' Who else is there to be? Oh, wait a minute... I feel another song coming on. Keep smiling Chris!

Live to love, love to live.
JaydeRaven #431456 06/17/2011 6:13 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Hi Chris and welcome (I missed your Member's Ride post). Wow! That's an impressive read. My wife Diane and I are hoping to do the 'RV with BA on the back' thing around OZ at some stage.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
JaydeRaven #431457 06/20/2011 9:24 PM
Plan on meeting a friend in Harrisburg for a few days of riding. He is coming in from Cincinnati, OH and I am riding in from CT. Do you have any suggestions for rides in that area? Thanks

Keith #431458 06/23/2011 5:10 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Quote:

I like the part about 'being me.' Who else is there to be? Oh, wait a minute... I feel another song coming on. Keep smiling Chris!

I could be Kermit the Frog!

~*JaydeRaven*~ Proud rider of a 2003 Triumph America (April 2011) and a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan (October 2009)
Irishrider60 #431459 06/23/2011 5:20 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Quote:

Plan on meeting a friend in Harrisburg for a few days of riding. He is coming in from Cincinnati, OH and I am riding in from CT. Do you have any suggestions for rides in that area? Thanks

Harrisburg? I haven't really done any riding in that area, but the Lancaster area is a little southeast of there and a beautiful area to tour - just watch for the horse & buggies... They also have this incredible all-you-can-eat buffet called Shady Maple in East Earl (Lancaster). It isn't open on Sundays, but if you can get there... ohhhhh... such incredible food in such astounding amounts. You will leave there feeling like you need to be rolled out to your bike. Hope that helps!

JaydeRaven #431460 07/06/2011 12:40 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Hi my name is Chip I live in Wyoming. Why ? Why not. 07 America

Chippy #431461 07/06/2011 12:44 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Welcome Chip!!

FrankW #431462 07/07/2011 6:35 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Well, reflecting on this July 7th 2011.... ,,,,it is hot outside, 103 degrees, humidity in the 70% range....my skin felt like it was melting off my face today while working and our cold front wont be here till September,,,maybe.....I honestly can't say at the moment why I live here

hill8586 #431463 07/11/2011 11:04 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
hi boys and girls,
my name is kevin and i live in dallas, tx and pretty much have all my life. i was born here, raised here(except for stints in corsicana, coppell, hope,ark. i am a fifth generation texan. texas has several different landscapes and each of them has their own beauty. i was raised by my mom and grandma(dad was kinda out of the picture during the middle part of my life). my dad had a motorcycle when i was an infant, some kinda scooter, and they would put my carrier in a milk crate strapped on it and drive 30 miles to town(dallas) to see family and hang out in a local bar called the "quiet man". (i'm kinda irish,scotch,english with a little native american mixed in). i guess i was destined to ride(and drink). i got married at 20, stayed that way until a year ago(25 years)to a wonderful lady, who gave me a beautiful daughter who's 20 and still lives with me(i will never ask her to leave). i work in construction-i build stuff-currently i build and maintain restaraunts, but i have built houses,barns, museum exhibits, boats, playground learning exhibits, etc. i like to work with my hands,brain and back and am not afraid to tackle almost anything. i bought my '07 ba last november after not having a bike for a long time-money, family obligations,etc., but after getting divorced i decided it was time again. first thing i did was ride down to key west(i got me the wanderlust,bad). so i'm not sure i can tell you guys who i am, cause i don't know yet(i still don't know what i want to be when i grow up. i probably won't stay in dallas forever, but it will always be home.

kozmo #431464 07/11/2011 11:45 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Welcome to the site Kevin. Livin in Texas would be real handy for gettin goodies from Newbonneville I reckon. So what kinda bike yah got?

stevieB #431465 07/12/2011 12:06 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
i've got an'07 ba that is stock except for some aftermarket saddle bags, and as a matter of fact i just finished a restaraunt around the corner from them and met sherri (she works there) today when she came by.

Last edited by kozmo; 07/12/2011 1:01 AM.
kozmo #431466 07/12/2011 6:18 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Welcome Kevin

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
FrankW #431467 07/12/2011 6:52 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Born in Dargaville NZ in 1949. Left there at 15 to start work as apprentice diesel mechanic in Murupara a small logging town in the central North Island. Like Frank Whitley have had quite a few occupations since then. Owned a large coffee lounge and did most of the baking myself. My wife Chanelle and I moved to Oz in 1990. Workshop and Sales management etc.
Have travelled and worked around Oz a fair bit. Biggest bike adventure to date was a trip around OZ on Electraglide-4 months on the road with tent and cooking gear and Chanelles bloody hair dryer of course in 1995. Was a grreat trip and would do it again in a heartbeat if circumstances permitted it.
Now live on Bribie Island north of Brisbane and work very part time at a hospital.Seems a lifetime ago that I used to spring out of bed, put the company uniform on and race off into the fray. Now taking our dog for her morning run is the priority .
Bribie Island is a great place to live and we both love it here-great weather-no hassles -what more do you need??
Cheers
Kent 1969
The 1969 is for my favorite Triumph 69 Trophy

kent1969 #431468 07/12/2011 10:00 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hi Every body! (Hi, Doctor Nick!)

I'm "Hasso" - which is a name that has a lot of meaning to me from my time in Germany (my real name is Mike). I live in Virginia (in the piedmont area - very close to skyline drive, which is an AMAZING place to ride, if you like scenery and twisties....

I grew up in the NY part of Connecticut (it's the DMZ between NY and New England - I grew up outside of New Haven). I miss good clams and good pizza. Otherwise, I LOVE Virginia and really have no desire to live elsewhere. We have 4 moderate seasons, and a huge economically diverse and vibrant beautiful state.

After high school (1983) I enlisted in the Air Force and after much schooling, ended up doing dark things in Berlin for a few years. One of the best times in my life, and I do miss Berlin all the time. I visit when I can.

Eventually I was stationed in Maryland, and exited the Air Force in 1993. I moved to VA and have never looked back.

I've traveled all over the world (still need to get to Australia, which will be this year, hopefully - and antarctica - schedule unknown - and I will have been to all 7 continents). Lately I travel less (for work anyway) and that's just fine. I have two young daughters (8 and 4) - so, I need to be around more.

I do miss all the "good" travel though. Now I go to places like Indiana and Alabama. They are just fine - but really - comparing them to Madrid or Singapore or Brazil just doesn't cut it.

I work now for an international aerospace company, and enjoy what I do. Mostly I enjoy that it allows me to have a family and time to ride a nice bike.

Eventually I will retire to being a chef.

My 2002 America is my first Triumph - and first bike since high school. I'm loving it. I have a list of things I intend to do to this bike. Eventually I will get a thunderbird, and make that the bagger, and turn the America into a "me" bike that's a little more street and a little less cruise.

I like this board. Everyone seems friendly and helpful.

Thanks for having me.

...you're gonna feel a little pressure....
Hairdoo #431469 07/15/2011 3:04 PM
Who I am and where I live are entwined together. My family has lived in North Ga for several generations and I truly love it here some of the greenest greens and bluest blues one could imagine. Georgia is such an interesting place of contradictions high tech thriving cultural and music scene in Atlanta some of the highest concentrations of alternate religions around the north GA area from pagans, Druids, Wicca, Buddhists. Of course there a plenty of overt and concealed racism, intolerance, NASCAR, wrestling and a love of terribly bad beer.

I am the son of Chy and Dianne and am proud to be so. I have often felt like a stranger in a strange land, the words of warriors and great writers whisper in my mind, I have studied the past and dream of a fantastic future. I can talk for hours about the evolution of weapons or the moral implications of the religious schism of the Jedi/Sith.

I messed up high school fairly well and when I finally graduated it was to flunk out of college in favor of chasing a string of strange girls, drinking and otherwise being a wastrel of one sort of another. Met the Love of my life while working at a sword shop. She was pagan, a geek, and so beautiful. her parents love me and we have a wonderful lil miniature Shih Tzu named Tasha and we were married and were to live happily ever after. As you can expect we are separated and getting a divorce soon. I am back in school and making wonderful grades ( is amazing what 10 years plus of getting my head out of my ass helps ). Dad and I are building a bike for me while it is a slow process it is moving along, she may not be perfect but to me she is beautiful.

I am pagan, geek ( sci fi, fantasy, history, medieval weapons and tactics, RPGS, star wars. star trek, mythology and theology just to name a few ) learning the guitar, love good classic rock ( modern music lacks soul for the most part ) 6'8" with a shaved head, an occasional stutter, sometimes charming smile and a mind that never seems to stop reving. Thank you for having me with you on this site and to be with you on this adventure and soon hope to be on the road with you in this bike built by me and my father which means more to me then a brand new one off the dealership floor.

Watch out for the idiots out on the road, there is a lot of them out there and they are all out to kill you.

Nemo

Nemo #431470 07/15/2011 5:26 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
welcome, Nemo. sounds like an interesting life. I bet you wouldn't change much of it.

what kind of bike are you guys building?

Hairdoo #431471 07/16/2011 1:47 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Gidday Hasso, welcome to the forum.

So you're a rocket scientist (bet you heard that one before) with a penchant for the fine arts - namely cuisine. I love cooking too and am often told I could cut the mustard as a chef (sauces are my secret) - I know I would fail miserably - lacking the people skills to make customers feel welcome. Also the hours would be beyond me - I find myself nodding off after 11pm trying to watch my favourite TV show. I could handle cooking for one sitting though - maybe in an posh lodge or something.

You've definitely got to visit Australia if you've been everywhere else - because nothing else is like Australia.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hairdoo #431472 07/16/2011 1:58 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Hi Nemo. Wow, it sounds like you've been through some tough stuff lately. But the wisdom you have gained (which is apparent by what you've written) will be valuable both in being able to complete your studies this time and do the relationship thing better next time (now your head is back in the fresh air ). Plus your project with your dad sounds just the ticket. What a great dad to do this with you - and what a precious memory this time together will become.

We want to hear about the bike and we want pictures (in the Member's Ride's forum).

Last edited by foglefar; 07/16/2011 2:05 AM.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nemo #431473 07/16/2011 3:20 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Keeping it real... that's what I got from this, a most personal glimpse into your life! I betcha you remain cool headed too... what with all that elevation you live at by being 6'8"!!!

Keith #431474 07/16/2011 11:54 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Thanks, Foglefar - I'll definitely get there. I have some friends in Alice Springs at the moment. So, I know I won't just hug the coast or Sydney. Gonna see as much as I can. I hear it's just amazing.

Hairdoo #431475 07/19/2011 11:19 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Haven't posted in a while, so here goes.......

Born in Chicago in 67. My dad was a Chicago cop at the time. Stayed there until he got a Police Chief job in Wisconsin in 83. I was dragged kicking and screaming from the big city and moved to LaCrosse, Wi. In 85 I left there to be an Army Aviator. I got to travel all around the world and see some really cool places. In 93 when they decided to retire my aircraft, (OV-1 Mohawk) I decided to pull the pin and get out. I landed a job in Sheboygan, Wi right out of the army flying for an aerial mapping and engineering firm. A couple years later, I was finally sick of flying for a living so I applied at the local Sheriffs Department for a job and have been there for the past 15 years. Now I'm too old and stupid to start over so I guess I'm just stuck where I'm at.

Picked up my Trusty 03 BA 5 years ago from a buddy at work. She had 3000 miles on her at the time. It's my 1st bike. I love her to death but I STILL haven't found a seat that doesn't hurt my ass after 30 miles!!! And I have tried them all. At this point I think it's the rider......not the seat that has the problem.......

2003 TBA Thunderbike pipes / floorboards / and the most uncomfortable seat known to man.... Barry aka: 8-Ball
ThomWill #431476 07/19/2011 2:05 PM
FD3 Offline
Names Frankie D'Angelo III
Funny enough its officially Frank III D'Angelo
im 26 years old
I was born in boston mass and lived there until i was 23 the girl i was with got a scholarship to come out to Boulder CO i had to take advantage, considering i came from a poor family i never really left new england except twice to new york.
Around a year before i left boston i was laid off from my job. <---- best thing to ever happen to me. I was living with the girl i moved up here with in a posh mass ave apt in cambridge. which her mother paid for. She is a career student who may get a couple hundred a month from her parents. so i paid for food
With that being said we didnt have much money after the layoff, and we needed some. We did have a decent amount of jewelry between the 2 of us. So i went downtown and sold it. While doing so i realized there was pretty good money in the stuff so i began my own small business as a gold buyer. Shortly after that the gold market started to just go up and up and i got into other things such as estates and auctions.
From there i started my own business only this time i was in affluent Boulder CO
So far things have been going well, the girl kicked me out about 3 months after we got here. I got my own place and have been living a very good life since.
if anyone wants to know more please ask

FD3
FD3 #431477 07/20/2011 1:51 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Hi all. Brian here. I have lived in NW Florida, just north of Pensacola, all my life. As a matter of fact, I can stand on my front porch, throw a rock, and hit the house I grew up in. When I was growing up, in the 60's and 70's, I would run the neighborhood always finding something to do in the nearby woods or along a creek that ran along the back of our property. In 1970 my parents bought a piece of property on the bay and we would go camping every weekend we could. That's when I was really introduce to being around water on a regular basis. We would swim, water ski, fish, and just enjoy walking the banks looking for indian arrow heads. As I grew older and had to start making grown up decisions I decided I didn't want to leave the area. From that point on, I had told myself that as long as I could keep a halfway decent job I would stay in this area. I graduated with a degree in computer science and started doing government contract work.I've been doing that now for over 23 years. Lucky for me, 23 consecutive years. My dad gave my wife an I a lot to build on in '94 and we have been here ever since. Hence, the rock from the front porch expression. Now, I have traveled over the years and have seen many different places, but their is just no place like home. If I ever did have to leave the area, it would have to be somewhere near the water.

I bought my America new in '06. Since then I have put over 35k on the bike. I ride it to work every chance I get. The money I saved in gas has paid for the bike. So I guess I figured out how to make money off the gas crisis. However, now I'm laid up after a jerk of a kid pulled out and then just stopped in front of me while I was riding. That's another story though. But don't worry, the bike is fine. The insurance company wanted to total it, but I went round and round with them until they agreed to rebuild it. Over $5700 worth of damages. I ended up with a broken fibula, tibula, and a really messed up knee, hip, and shoulder. I'm doing pretty good. It's just going to take a little time. Wish I could get fixed as fast as the bike has. lol. Anyway, I can't wait to get back on it.

Brian

bjontheba #431478 07/20/2011 1:58 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Very sorry to hear about your mishap Brian, but a HUGE welcome to ya and here's hoping you heal up well enough to ride as soon as possible!

Keith #431479 07/20/2011 10:19 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
HI there. New member, great site. I just bought a 2007 speedy, really like the bike, should have it in days, hopefully i can post pictures

Edmonton, Alberta Canada. Because thats where i ended up!

edmspeedmaster #431480 07/20/2011 10:26 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
A bit of bad luck there Brian but you sound like you are okay. Welcome to this site and congrats on the America. Maybe you wanna keep an eye own those jerks that stop in front of you for no reason, I hate that.

Now Mike welcome to you also. I see you got a Speedy so you must be cool hehehe. They are the fastest ones you know. Especially the black ones. Looking forward to those pics. You can post them in Member's rides.

stevieB #431481 07/23/2011 4:38 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Thanks Steve, Keith. I'm ok. I thought I might post about the accident because I was really put into a difficult situaton. I was thinking that the info I can provide from it may help someone else put in the same predicament.

bjontheba #431482 07/23/2011 6:53 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
No worries Brian. I hope you feeling a bit better now. Try and get back on it as soon as you can.

Blackwind #431483 07/30/2011 5:32 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Dallas,TX Because school has me stuck here for the next year and then somewhere more scenic (again) used to live in Oregon

FrankW #431484 07/30/2011 11:45 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Just a Native Houstonian, out of Native Texan parents out of a line of Native American ancestry that goes back aways before originating in Western Europe...and I've hung around here because the economy always seems to be better than what the rest of the country seems to be experiencing. Seems the whole damned country has been coming to Texas, coming to Houston, as long as I can remember anyway.

The weather here is great year-round, and having a good job means a lot. Writing service at a Lexus dealership, things could suck in a bad economy, but we can't seem to ever have enough cars to sell, new or pre-owned. We sell everything we get our hands on. I have service appointments a week out, every week, all year long, and have my hand forced daily to bring in more than I know I can get out of my shop in the next two days...and every customer is like family to me, as I am to them and their's. It's a real good situation for someone like me who like's to help people, as I get to help a lot of people every day. Why would I ever want to leave?

Keith
Houston
Ridin'Texas
'04 Speedmaster
AI removed, Pingle, UNI Filter, 1 shim, straight-through slash-cut TORs, Stage 1 DynaJet, 140 mains, 3 turns, 16/42 final drive, 115K
2020 T120 Black
kent1969 #431485 07/31/2011 6:35 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Well hello. Living in Toowoomba Queensland Australia. Originally from NSW. Kids have flown the coop. Have a crop spraying business west of town which keeps me honest most of the time. Bought an '06ba about a month ago and love it. Just put a dart flyscreen on the other day which I'm very happy with. Always wanted a trumpy. My first bike (38 yrs ago) was a beeza bantam but I had the Triumph emblem on my school port (drew it myself of course). So it was destiny that finally got me the ba.
Roy

059ha #431486 07/31/2011 8:49 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Hi Roy and welcome to the forum. There's plenty of useful info here, friendly helpful people, lots of laughs.

It's a bit short notice, but many of the Aussie members from QLD & NSW are getting together this weekend at Buladelah, NSW. There's 3 of us riding down from Brissy. There is info in this thread ... here and a bit more here if you are interested you are welcome to join us. Some are arriving on Friday and some (from NSW) are arriving on Sat morning.

If you interested then you can PM (private message me) with your phone number and I can bring you up to speed.

BTW, what's a "school port"?

Last edited by foglefar; 08/01/2011 12:21 AM.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #431487 08/01/2011 7:05 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
G'day Richard, the weekend ride sounds good but I don't think I can get organised in time - thanks all the same. The "school port" was the old globite suitcase that we took to school in the sixties, before backpacks etc. They were good for writing on and putting stickers on and they would also slide quite well as you were running towards the bus queue.
Roy

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Rides
Ga Rally '24
by chy - 03/04/2024 1:00 PM
Pony Express /BA.com Journal reports
by - 05/17/2008 12:33 PM