Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lost another dog yesterday
#602250 06/06/2022 10:48 AM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
I am besides myself as it is every time I lose a dog. This is doubly bad because she is the mother of the other dog I still have. We were having a picnic, my daughter and grand kids and I let Lola out because I felt guilty she was inside alone, Tripod was already outside with us. She was so excited and bouncing around from person to person when she saw someone walking up the road and bolted right out into the road with all 4 of us yelling for her to stop and trying to catch her but she was too fast. We all saw it happen and she was killed instantly. That is at least better than suffering. I took her down this morning to creamated. My vet knows how much I love my dogs and when I asked for her to save me a nail clipping with the paw print she clipped several nails and made a little star in the medium next to the print with the clippings and a small ring with some hair. She was only 8 and I had her only 2 years but I am, none the less, devastated like losing a child. The one thing I can say is the time I had with her she wanted for nothing and was extremely happy and loved. She loved being up on the trampoline and having her belly rubbed and sharing my snacks with me at night. She had bacon and the scrambled egg bowl yesterday morning. She was hanging out with me outside all day yesterday when I was working on the motorcycle I got for my grand son. It was a great fun happy day right up until she was hit.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
Re: Lost another dog yesterday
The_Dog33 #602251 06/06/2022 1:13 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
I am sorry Dog. I like dogs better than people. Have put too many down in my life. Down the last one now. I don't know after her if I have the strength to do another one. I just sit down and cry when I put down an old friend. Its like losing a relative.

Read the Rainbow Bridge again and for a moment pretend it really exists. Its hard, good luck in your fight.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
The_Dog33 #602252 06/06/2022 4:24 PM
chy Offline
Loquacious
Loquacious
"If there are no dogs in heaven, when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers
I don't know which is worse, watching them die in an accident but at least know they died quickly or watching them age and die slowly untill you have to make the decision to let them go.
My best buddy ever, "Bubba" deteriorated to where he could barely walk and one day he managed to make it down to the little creek out back where he loved to go cool off in the summer. The first time ever he didn't come when I called him. I found him laying there and his tail wagged as I sat down beside him but the look in his eyes was different. I carried his big ole butt back up the hill and the next morning I took him to our vet who told me what I already knew. They gave him the shot and left us alone in the room. He lay there quietly as I stroked him then he raised his head and let out a long howl that sent chills through me like I had never known then laid his head down and died. I fell completely apart and cried like a baby

The_Dog33 #602253 06/06/2022 4:39 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
Thanks Ron, I love the story (good Twilight Zone episode) about the old man and his hunting dog where the old man dies trying to rescue his dog. They find themselves walking up a dirt road and come to a fancy gate with a well dressed and well mannered man tending it. The old man hears beautiful music coming from inside and asks about it. The gate keeper says it's heaven, come on in. When the old man goes to go in the keeper says his dog can't go in, there is a different place for him. The old man refuses to go in without his dog and wanders on up the road. They come to a break in the fence and a man just sitting there who invites him in. The old man asks if he can bring his dog and the man says sure lots of dogs in heaven. The old man says the man down the road said that was heaven. The man at the fence gets a concerned look and says you didn't get messed up with him did you? The old man says no he wouldn't let his dog in and no place without dogs was the kind of place he wanted to be. The man at the fence says good thing too, that's hell, your dog saved you, he weeds out those who would leave their best friends behind.

P.S. I would have to say that would be me, not good enough for my dog, not good enough for me. I would give my life to bring the dogs I have lost back. I may have found another dog so Tripod won't be lonely, he has never been alone, Lola was his mom. Another pitbull who has to be given up because the landlord told them no dogs. He belongs to a friend of my daughter. He is house broken, 2 years old (Pod is about3) up to date on all his shots, lived with another dog before, is not aggressive to their parents dogs, and not aggressive to dogs when out on walks. 2 possible red flags though, one is he isn't fixed, and the other is his ears are cropped. I don't like his ears being cropped but not because of the way he looks or anything , I didn't care that Pod only has 3 legs, they crop ears for fighting. I don't want anything to happen to Pod, he is a sweet little guy and full of life. A little depressed right now because of his loss but that won't last. Could be fate, I lost Lola and Baxter needs help. I have pictures of him cuddling with his owner who doesn't want to give him up but has no choice. I will do a meet and greet and see how it goes.

Last edited by The_Dog33; 06/06/2022 4:51 PM.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #602254 06/06/2022 4:46 PM
chy Offline
Loquacious
Loquacious
I remember that one. Thanks for the memory.

The_Dog33 #602255 06/06/2022 11:49 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Sorry to hear about your loss Dog... You're right, it's a very hard thing to lose our four legged friends. My thoughts are with you right now. Good luck with Baxter!

John 3:16
let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
The_Dog33 #602257 06/07/2022 5:01 AM
Learned Hand
Online Content
Learned Hand
Sorry for your lost, My old GF's dog had a similar fate, ran across the road because another dog was walking by.

Heart breaking

'04' Black America
The_Dog33 #602259 06/07/2022 2:38 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
When we adopt a dog we know that, eventually, we will have to say goodbye. I've had over a dozen dogs in my life. Usually more than one at a time. The heartbreak of having them put to sleep or the shock and horror of seeing them killed on the highway are among the hardest things I've ever endured. Some people respond by refusing to get a dog so they never have that experience. On the other hand they never feel the joy and love of a dog and a dog never has the joy of and comfort of a loving person to care for them. A decade or so of the love, joy, comfort and companionship of a dog are not cancelled by the sorrow of the loss of your friend. When I remember my dogs it's never how they died, it's how they lived and the things that made each of them special.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
The_Dog33 #602260 06/07/2022 5:24 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm sorry, man. Dogs are part of the family. It's such a shame our lifespans are so different from each other.

...you're gonna feel a little pressure....
The_Dog33 #602262 06/08/2022 6:53 AM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
Thank you all. It is good to see how many of you are still checking in here.I did a meet and greet for Tripod yesterday but he kind of growled at her. Not aggressive but to just say to give him his space and she respected it. I am taking him down again Sunday, I don't want him to have to be alone, he is Lola's son and has never been alone. My grand kids are here keeping him company while I work.

The_Dog33 #602264 06/08/2022 10:48 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Sorry for your loss, Ian. Had to put my pet down last week. The sting is still fresh.

The_Dog33 #602265 06/08/2022 1:44 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
Wow, sorry to hear that, one of the most difficult things you will ever have to do.

The_Dog33 #602266 06/08/2022 4:33 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Originally Posted by The_Dog33
Wow, sorry to hear that, one of the most difficult things you will ever have to do.

For sure. Vet didn't know what was going on at first...then referred out for an ultrasound, & that told the story...tumors in lower GI tract & liver...he was so strong & loyal, right to the end, just short of his 11th birthday.

The_Dog33 #602267 06/08/2022 8:33 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
Heart breaking is an understatement.

The_Dog33 #602268 06/09/2022 1:47 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm so sorry for you, dogs are everything to me. I know what you're going through right now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Rides
Ga Rally '24
by chy - 03/04/2024 1:00 PM
Pony Express /BA.com Journal reports
by - 05/17/2008 12:33 PM