Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N series Ford
#602238 06/02/2022 6:04 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
Lately I have been playing with farm tractors. I have repaired several engines among other parts. I rebuilt a steering box that is not supposed to be rebuildable. I have lapped valves and replaced head gaskets, learned how to time them. (front distributor you can only static time on a bench) I am about to do a 3 angle valve job on one that the seats are pitted and valves are worn too bad to save. I may have to replace the seats and cut from scratch. I won't know until I get started on them but I ordered the seat blanks because I think that is what it is going to take. Fun making these old things run. Also been rebuilding hydraulic cylinders on my loader and backhoe.

On a side note I just got a small street bike for my grand son too. That runs and is in good shape, it was abandoned at work and we got a title and my boss gave it to me.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
1 member likes this: slvrsprint
Re: N series Ford
The_Dog33 #602239 06/02/2022 7:04 PM
chy Offline
Loquacious
Loquacious
I did some work on a 58 Ford Jubilee years ago. Pretty basic stuff, very cool the way they did some things.. Updraft carb and ball bearing governors. I have always liked working on the old stuff.
I worked heavy line at the dealership back in the 80 s and we did our own machine work on cylinder heads. We rebuilt everything back in those days, now its all plug and play.Youre a brave man taking on a 3 angle valve job good luck to you.

The_Dog33 #602240 06/02/2022 8:36 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
They only made the Jubilee one year but continued the model in the 800, 600 and variations of those, they were commonly called Jubilee even though they really were not. I have an 850, mine is a 1957. Those are OHV the N series are flathead.
3 angle valve job really isn't hard to do, I learned a new trick I want to try out on this one. After lapping it to be sure of the correct contact area put a little soapy water, like you would use to find a leak in a tire, on top of the valve and blow a little air into the port, if seated correctly you will get no bubbles but any leakage will show as bubbles.
I use my 850 and one of my 8Ns all the time with various attachments. Leveling blade, hole auger, 3 point lifting arm, loader, backhoe, etc.. I am currently making skids for the bucket edge on my loader for clearing snow so it won't dig in. I have used it for snow for years but I have to be careful with it.

PS.. I will add that the 8N only came with a single 45 degree valve seat, I just want to do the 3 angle for fun. 30 deg. 45 deg. and 60 deg.

Last edited by The_Dog33; 06/02/2022 8:39 PM.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #602241 06/03/2022 4:49 AM
Learned Hand
Online Content
Learned Hand
Are you going to back cut the intakes and radius the exhaust valve heads too?
Mild port and polish?

Last edited by Two_Wheel_n; 06/03/2022 4:50 AM.

'04' Black America
The_Dog33 #602242 06/03/2022 7:05 AM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
No, just a straight 45 on the valves and I am only doing the exhaust. The intake valves just need a quick lap, they are in pretty good shape. These engines are low rev and low compression, the benefit of port and polish would be minimal. I don't have a valve cutter so I don't have a good method of cutting the valve heads. I could do it in my lathe but there is no need since those valves are going to be new.

The_Dog33 #602243 06/03/2022 6:59 PM
Learned Hand
Online Content
Learned Hand
Back cutting the valves helps in the low lifts and the radius exhaust valves help with flow and helps keep it cool (no sharp edges to start heating up)

'04' Black America
The_Dog33 #602244 06/03/2022 9:25 PM
Fe Butt
OP Online Content
Fe Butt
I understand and know what they do just don't need it with this engine. I am only doing the 3 angle for fun, this tractor came with a straight up 45 degree cut on valve and seat. I wouldn't be cutting at all if the exhaust valves were in better shape. The last one I had apart all I did was lap them all and that tractor is running like a champ now. I could do these and find out it has more issues. This was a parts tractor that was left to rot in a field for many many years. Sheet metal was all banged up, cracked , and torn. I straightened it all and welded the cracks and welded the torn parts back in. The distributor was missing, have one, the carb was missing, have one. Cylinders look good, no decernable ridge and no scoring. Turns smooth, lifters move as they should. Had a broken valve spring when I took it apart. I bought it for $400 because I wanted the good grill and fenders and the original head lights for one I have in my shop I just got running and 1/2 painted. I figured I could swap out the parts I wanted with the old ones and make a couple bucks on it. Now I am into making it run and maybe still sell and make even more on it. I have 3 of them right now and an 850. The others all run and are in pretty good shape. My 850 needs the fenders and the one in my shop the other parts. I have toyed with making a custom using a flat head V8 I have. This thing sat out in the field so long the bottom of one of the rear wheels is completely rotted away, if you measure up vertically about 8 to 10 inches then draw a straight horizontal line the part below the line is completely gone. So it is just something to have some fun with when I am waiting for parts for the other stuff. My Speedmaster is still not running and I just got a Vstar XV250 for my grandson for free. Very clean, we towed it and they never picked it up so we got a title.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Rides
Ga Rally '24
by chy - 03/04/2024 1:00 PM
Pony Express /BA.com Journal reports
by - 05/17/2008 12:33 PM