Next Thread
Print Thread
Remembering the NorEast Rally
#601044 10/21/2020 11:47 AM
pipedr Offline OP
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
My wife and I just returned from a glorious week long getaway in the Finger Lakes. This wasn't a bike trip, as I can't do distance very well any longer, and no longer have any interest in the cold or rain. The purpose was to enjoy some time away together on a loosely planned road trip that might provide some scenery, some history, a route and destination that only marginally affected by the damned Covid Pandemic and perhaps imbibe in a variety of fermented fruits and grains. Recalling the routes taken to the rallies of long ago, we journeyed north through central PA. via winding 2-lane roads in the valleys and over the ridges of the Alleghenies. I diverted slightly in order to attempt to see elk in the wild near Benezette, PA. - A decision met with success and pics to prove it! Much of the rest of the trip traced the roads taken by Snert, Grump, and myself, brining back some treasured memories. Once reaching the lake country, we concentrated on things of nature and history - And, of course, cider, beer, wine, and goat cheese. Yes, some great goat cheese and goat farms. I love a good goat farm. The waterfalls were nearly dry, but, majestic none the less. Each road we traveled was pristine. Each stop we we made to take in a view was like a postcard. Each day brought back a memory - Memories of fine people and great times.

2004 Triumph Speedmaster (J Lo) 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner (Adele)
2 members like this: roadie, Bedouin
Re: Remembering the NorEast Rally
pipedr #601047 10/22/2020 7:09 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Been there. Got the t-shirts.

A few years back, I was driving to my in-laws' just outside Dansville when I saw a small sign with British and American flags, "Triumph NorEast" and an arrow. Of course I followed it to see what it was about. I took me to the group camping area of Stony Brook State Park where I met quite an interesting cast of characters.

I wasn't able to stay long that time, but they told me about this website.

The following year, I was there, tent and all.

The next year, Ed arranged a nice set up at an Ontario County park.

Many in that group had moved on to other makes or models, but still gathered and rode under the Bonneville America banner. I was the opposite. I was riding a Sprint. Now that the rally has gone the way of too many others, I have inherited my wife's TBA.

Last edited by slvrsprint; 10/22/2020 7:11 AM.
pipedr #601048 10/23/2020 3:06 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
It's good to have such memories of trips with friends from long ago.
I too am getting on in years and though I still ride, my annual mileage is definitely falling. When I can't do the long trips anymore I plan to buy an old MG sports car and carry on like that.

I took the Road Less Travelled. Now where the ****** am I?
pipedr #601050 10/25/2020 1:04 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hi Barry, sounds like ya had a great trip, good for you. Me, Liz, Austin and his wife went up to Benezette about two weeks ago to see the elk. A one day trip but we enjoyed it. Like you, the roads we took were parts of our routes to the rallies and brought back good memories.I thought about our route through Renovo. We should have seen elk, bear and bigfoot on that route. Good memories are priceless !

I've become comfortably numb
pipedr #601059 10/26/2020 6:20 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
The NorEast was my first US rally.

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare
Snert #601567 05/04/2021 5:53 PM
pipedr Offline OP
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
Terry, They're priceless indeed! And in regard to those elusive elk - when we entered that forest until we hit the bridge at Renovo I was sure one of those beasts would jump out in front of us. To say the least, I was puckering..

2004 Triumph Speedmaster (J Lo) 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner (Adele)
pipedr #601614 05/17/2021 7:35 AM
chy Offline
Loquacious
Loquacious
Ahhh... The good ole days..

Link Copied to Clipboard