Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is there nothing else to talk about?
#600729 09/09/2020 3:02 AM
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
Maybe it's because this forum has been around for ages and our bikes are discontinued?
We might have run out of steam?
But lately all that seems to appear on the forums is mudslinging around the US Presidential election and other internal American political preoccupations.
I understand these may be hot topics in America but I'm afraid they're not so interesting to the rest of the world.
Sorry if I offend any of you but this is fundamentally a motorcycle forum.
Er, I think?
I'll just duck now whilst the bullets fly

I took the Road Less Travelled. Now where the ****** am I?
Re: Is there nothing else to talk about?
Alatamoc #600730 09/09/2020 7:19 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I always liked my Speedmaster but I lost a lot of interest in Triumph when "British" bikes started being made in Thailand. Although they're still making Speedmasters you don't see many on the road.
In the US, the Triumph dealer network sucks. A month or so ago I saw a lightly used Tiger 1050 at my Indian dealer. It was gold in color and just what I was looking for. It was priced like a steal. The ONLY reason I didn't jump on it was because the closest Triumph dealer is 120 miles away. That's seriously inconvenient.
I'll just duck now whilst the bullets fly...

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Alatamoc #600731 09/09/2020 8:42 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Probably many factors.

-As OP said, no longer making the Bonneville America. Sure, there are still some around but a lot of people who were so active here have moved on to other rides. If a new BA owner finds this forum, there isn't much current discussion to keep them interested.

-Rallies are fewer and farther between. That's how I found this forum before we bought an America LT. I saw a sign pointing to a meeting place for the Noreast rally and followed it to the campground of a group of BA.com members that I rode with few times. The Noreast rally no longer exists. I wanted to ride to the Arkansas rally this year, but the COVID-19 restrictions are keeping me away.

-I am an American and am also turned off by the political discussions on a motorcycle forum. Just don't belong. Don't worry. I won't be flinging bullets. That's the other side of the political divide here in the US.

Alatamoc #600732 09/09/2020 11:10 AM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I have to agree, I too lost quite a bit of interest when Triumph moved outside England. I have been riding , building, and customizing Triumphs for over 35 years. I still love the ones I have and I like the looks of some of the new ones but they have become too expensive for me too. I am OK with the political talk and follow politics so I stay informed to vote. I have to admit it does bother me when someone from another country talks about what they know nothing about politically. That doesn't mean to be from another country means you don't know US politics but some comment when they don't have any idea what they are talking about. I still play with my antiques and am building a hard tail with an 07 SM engine. That project has been put on the back burner as I have been working on my truck and I am about 1/2 way finished with an 8N tractor. I also just fixed all the leaks in my Ford 850 tractor power steering. I use my old tractors so they get fixed ahead of projects. Most things got put off now since I broke my wrist and much of it I am unable to do.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
1 member likes this: roadie
The_Dog33 #600734 09/09/2020 11:38 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Been noticing for some time that the forum seldom has new threads. On some, the latest input is years old!
Yes, the bikes have been discontinued, and some of the prior owners have moved on.
It doesn't bother me too much that the bikes are now built in Thailand, the quality is still generally above par, and they still have a lot of character.
My nearest dealer is an hour away, but that doesn't bother me too much either as I do all my own work and usually order most of the necessary parts online since the dealer never has it in stock anyway.
I still greatly enjoy my Americas ('08 & '14LT) and hope to have them a long time.

It's up to us to keep the forum vibrant!

The ride may be fun, but in the Great Scheme of things, it really is about the destination! John 3:16
Alatamoc #600736 09/09/2020 6:31 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Honestly I believe a lot of members have moved over to Facebook. The Speedmaster and America forums on FB are very active as are other Triumph forums.

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
Alatamoc #600737 09/09/2020 6:47 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I refuse to use facebook for privacy reasons. My dealer is over an hour away too but I have been using them since the 1980s and am friends with the owner and used to deal with his parents when he was a kid in the shop.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
mikemm03 #600738 09/09/2020 11:05 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Originally Posted by mikemm03
Honestly I believe a lot of members have moved over to Facebook. The Speedmaster and America forums on FB are very active as are other Triumph forums.
I am not into Facebook although my wife nd two daughters are.
We ride a great MC and although some are not into this web site I think its worth the effort to keep it alive and promote it especially the tech forums. Politics should not stray into the general forum even though its difficult to resist commenting if someone makes a statement which borders on political. If we agree to keep it out perhaps that would satisfy He who created this site in the first place I think.

Alatamoc #600740 09/09/2020 11:23 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I for one wouldn't care if the politics were removed all together. There is quite a bit of information here and I still answer questions if I see them before they get answered and as long as I know the correct answer for sure. My memory isn't what it used to be. I find myself looking things up I used to know off the top of my head. I still remember how many rollers are in the clutch on an old 650 unit twin and what the valve clearances are and the correct timing on a degree wheel and how to set that up. Other things I forget sometimes, more on the newer bikes than the old ones.

1 member likes this: roadie
The_Dog33 #600771 09/13/2020 7:44 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Originally Posted by The_Dog33
I refuse to use facebook for privacy reasons. .

I refuse to use buttbook, I mean facebook too.

'06 America, Raask foot controls, the bike use to be Graphite and Silver, now its Red and Black.
Alatamoc #600796 09/16/2020 7:51 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
I too remember the good ole days on this site, And while I sold my beloved America so I could buy my Indian, I still come here once in a while. My middle boy still has his America, which he bought from Dave's dad. And I'm still considering a new Triumph as a retirement bike.

Fidelis et Fortis
2 members like this: AmyLee, roadworthy
Alatamoc #600797 09/16/2020 10:21 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Still got my 2010 TBA (I even ride occasionally). It's my retirement bike. I've been around here since the early days too. Friar John and Freedom were riding buddies.

Truth is forums, like everything (and everybody) else come and go. Bike forums included. Used to be (before I was here) on the Honda Sabre forum -- very active and large in its day. Honda quit making the bike and the forum went away a little while later.

Tastes change, people move on.

I'd like to see our community continue. I enjoy y'all!
Keep posting!!

John 3:16
let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
Alatamoc #600813 09/18/2020 10:05 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
This forum was my life the first couple of years owning my bike and I the people on here are top notch.

When photo bucket changed their terms and I could not post pictures on here and everything I did went away it took the wind going out of my sails.

It is all on me. No one here.

I also spend a lot of time working on the Speadmaster Facebook page. I am one of the primary Admins there.

Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride
Alatamoc #600887 09/29/2020 11:36 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Bonneville America and Speedmaster the 790 and 865 drove this forum for several years. Pegs, risers, cruise control, CDI, big bore, chains, wow, its kinda been covered. But even when it was busy, of the few thousand members we had a few dozen kept it going.

You are right about photo bucket it put a dent in it for sure.

Now we have a liquid cooled Bonneville Speedmaster. I am not sure how many of them are selling.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
1 member likes this: AmyLee
Alatamoc #600888 09/30/2020 2:22 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I think our bikes, the 790 and 865 powered versions, were well priced and then sold to those who could not afford a Harley as well as to those who actually wanted one on it's own. For me it was , 1, still made in England, 2, Still carbed, 3, still air cooled, 4, many of the mods I did to the antiques were already done. I think now the price is too high and hurts sales, that is not to say you are not getting what you pay for. If they are as well built as the 790 and 865 they are well worth what you pay. I think in the US market there are many potential buyers who would buy a sportster over a new Triumph, I am not one but I think that applies to many. I love the looks of the newest offerings, the engines look even more like the old bikes than ever. I hate water cooling, and fuel injection, and one of the worst of all, no kick start. It used to be a matter of pride for me that I knew how to build and tune my antiques so my bikes started on the first kick almost every time. Sometimes when cold it might take 2 or even 3 once in a blue moon. Now they all have girly buttons. Triumph has been smart though, they offer a wide range to apply to most styles of riders not just the cruiser market. I may eventually try and aquire a 1200 but I would never pay what they sell for new. truth of it is I wouldn't even pay what I did for my 04 Speedmaster.

The_Dog33 #600889 09/30/2020 6:12 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
....... Now they all have girly buttons.......

I kinda like the "girly buttons"!

The ride may be fun, but in the Great Scheme of things, it really is about the destination! John 3:16
Alatamoc #600890 09/30/2020 7:50 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Depends what girly button you mean I am partial to the ones not attached to my bike too. All my bikes except mky Speedmaster have always been kick only with the exception of the HD I owned many years ago and I kick myself for selling it now. It was a 65 Pan Head, first electro glide and last pan. At the time it was my only transportation and it was worn out so it spent more time broken with me walking than it did running. I hated that bike.

Alatamoc #600898 10/02/2020 7:14 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
"Riding season will be extended in spite of Covid 19 this year here in the north." I ride up until my birthday Nov 14 minimum and often make it past that, fingers crossed for a late winter. Cold is ok I can slow down on the curves and stay off the main roads then head home to the hot tub to warm up the bones.

1 member likes this: VABird
The_Dog33 #600900 10/03/2020 9:41 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
... I have to admit it does bother me when someone from another country talks about what they know nothing about politically. That doesn't mean to be from another country means you don't know US politics but some comment when they don't have any idea what they are talking about. ...

Yes, that "someone from another country" is both a scoundrel and a lout and should be taken out and whipped for daring to contradict your politically objective and well researched superior knowledge.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Alatamoc #600902 10/03/2020 10:50 AM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
A little narcissistic? I wasn't thinking of you at the time but you at times fall in that category. You rely a little too much on what you read and take it as gospel sometimes when we are living it. I do have to admit you impress me at times with what you do know, I know little to nothing of Greek politics because it doesn't, in general, effect me.

The_Dog33 #600903 10/03/2020 1:04 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Playfully sarcastic perhaps ... Narcissistic? Where do you see that?
Also, you were thinking of someone else you debate with in the Cone from another country?
Sure OK.

I do not rely on junk I read, or the MSM.
I study numbers and trends I can believe and what principle personalities have to say.
You may have noticed I never quote third parties and their opinions.
Nor do I parrot anyone. Look elsewhere for that.

Since it was raised on another thread, I do have an interest in US politics. They DO affect me, including the current Covid disaster.
Then again I have an equally keen interest in perhaps 15-20 other countries so don't think it is limited to the US.

Also, I have never quoted something about the US that wasn't self-evident to those that made the effort to look.
I look.
The mistake some of you guys make and is permanently evident, is that you often speak to me as if I am a Democrat.
You seem to forget I am not a Yank and I never participate in your partisan tennis matches.
I leave that to you guys.

Thank you for the kind words about being impressed with my knowledge . They didn't go unnoticed.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
1 member likes this: AmyLee
Alatamoc #600904 10/03/2020 3:18 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I was not thinking of you or anyone I discussed politics with when I made that comment. It was a person I have seen comment on here though. I don't take the time to look things up to quote on here because I pop on here from time as I am doing things around the house. You seem to take a Democratic stance often.

The_Dog33 #600905 10/03/2020 3:47 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I was not thinking of you or anyone I discussed politics with when I made that comment. It was a person I have seen comment on here though. I don't take the time to look things up to quote on here because I pop on here from time as I am doing things around the house. You seem to take a Democratic stance often.

Interesting explanation.

You seem to have a short memory.
Remember Ukraine, Libya, Syria and other debates ... was that a Democratic stance? Quite the opposite.
My strong and constant criticism of Obama, Clinton, Victoria Nuland and even McCain's interference in Ukraine should refresh your memory.
Making a political assessment does not require affiliation.
My reminder above and track record are clear historical proof of that.

Alatamoc #600907 10/03/2020 7:18 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I never said you have a political affiliation you just seem to lean to the Democratic side most of the time from what I read. I do not remember those, it may surprise you but most of the time I don't read what you post. I only read the shorter ones. That and I don't remember quite a bit of what I disagree with because I file it under "I don't care" unless that point of view can effect me and yours does not effect me one way or the other since you are not part of the leadership here nor do you vote here making it unimportant as applied to me.

The_Dog33 #600909 10/03/2020 8:25 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I lean to the side of the facts I see, or at least how I perceive them. Nobody has to agree.
I don't know what "Democratic side" means. I just covered that part.
If you had read what I was saying during the previous administration you would have seen what I described in my previous post and possibly said the opposite.
You have just stated you only read short posts and skip mine so there is no basis for any further analysis.
We're good.

SMJoe #600911 10/03/2020 10:48 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Originally Posted by SMJoe
"Riding season will be extended in spite of Covid 19 this year here in the north." I ride up until my birthday Nov 14 minimum and often make it past that, fingers crossed for a late winter. Cold is ok I can slow down on the curves and stay off the main roads then head home to the hot tub to warm up the bones.

That's impressive! I've found that the older I get, the colder I get... Generally I'll put the bike away around the middle of October. Gone are the days of riding through the winter, or taking Christmas rides. I like to enjoy a beautiful day (like today was) on my bike. Hate to see summer go, every single year.

John 3:16
let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
Bedouin #600943 10/07/2020 3:46 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Originally Posted by Bedouin
I lean to the side of the facts I see, or at least how I perceive them. Nobody has to agree.
I don't know what "Democratic side" means. I just covered that part.
If you had read what I was saying during the previous administration you would have seen what I described in my previous post and possibly said the opposite.
You have just stated you only read short posts and skip mine so there is no basis for any further analysis.
We're good.

Basically Thanassis, it means that phrase a certain past President of ours was noted for expressing:

"You're either with us or against us."- George W. Bush

And which of course not only denotes one's tendency to adhere to extreme party loyalty above all else, but also the idea that one who would express such a thought is probably also unable to comprehend a middle-ground philosophy.

It's all the rage over here lately in my country, ya know. wink

(..and I meant the word "rage" here in both the sense that its become "fashionable", and also unfortunately in the sense of the emotion of "rage")

Last edited by Dwight; 10/07/2020 3:57 PM.

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
slvrsprint #600946 10/07/2020 5:20 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Originally Posted by slvrsprint
Probably many factors.

-As OP said, no longer making the Bonneville America. Sure, there are still some around but a lot of people who were so active here have moved on to other rides. If a new BA owner finds this forum, there isn't much current discussion to keep them interested.

-Rallies are fewer and farther between. That's how I found this forum before we bought an America LT. I saw a sign pointing to a meeting place for the Noreast rally and followed it to the campground of a group of BA.com members that I rode with few times. The Noreast rally no longer exists. I wanted to ride to the Arkansas rally this year, but the COVID-19 restrictions are keeping me away.

-I am an American and am also turned off by the political discussions on a motorcycle forum. Just don't belong. Don't worry. I won't be flinging bullets. That's the other side of the political divide here in the US.

The dedicated few are making sure that the Arkansas Rally doesn't end up like the rest of the rallies. We're still having it this year, socially distant and masked as required. maybe you'll come next year, we'll be there!

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
Alatamoc #600950 10/07/2020 5:50 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I was at Uncle Charlies one year for a get together, I wouldn't really call it a rally but I enjoyed meeting him and Mert and a few others. Only one I ever made it to. I also met SS Jones at a different bike event. I am more of an outlaw type than most I have met but was still nice to meet them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Rides
Ga Rally '24
by chy - 03/04/2024 1:00 PM
Pony Express /BA.com Journal reports
by - 05/17/2008 12:33 PM