Next Thread
Print Thread
Send this 'diplomat' back to the UK ...
#598534 10/07/2019 7:18 AM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare
Re: Send this 'diplomat' back to the UK ...
Funkletrumpet #598535 10/07/2019 10:05 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
If she is the guilty party she should answer for what she has done. I don't think anyone should have immunity where a serious crime is involved no matter what country they are from.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #598536 10/08/2019 9:45 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
When I was in Bermuda it was a constant battle to drive on the left. Years of conditioning just makes you want to drive on the right. We had scooters and kept scooting over to the left when we forgot.

I think it happens (accidents) a lot more than we realize. Left drivers and right drivers when they travel naturally have the opposite muscle memory.

It is a tragic accident. Even without immunity nothing brings the biker back and nothing can erase the guilt she will feel for all of her days.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #598537 10/08/2019 10:51 AM
New Tires
New Tires
Yes accidents happen. While nothing will bring the victim back or mend the family's hearts, I'm sure the US government will make a healthy $ restitution. They have a slush fund for this. Sad story.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #598538 10/09/2019 10:09 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
That happened here in Ottawa a few years back a Russian ran over a girl in his car, everyone knew he was a drunk but he got sent home. That law about diplomatic immunity will not be changed otherwise there wont be anyone that wants to work for their government in foreign lands. In Singapore if you choke and spit your gum out on the sidewalk you have just broken two laws punishable by death or maybe that is just a flogging....

Funkletrumpet #598539 10/09/2019 6:21 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
It doesn’t seem we have all the facts. Was it a hit and run, was she in police custody then released? If she was in the wrong lane then it is obviously her fault and she should be charged w vehicular manslaughter. If it was an accident she should have stayed and faced the music. Sneaking off and claiming diplomatic immunity does not give justice to the mom who lost a son. Does anyone think Trump will help her?

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
PES #598540 10/09/2019 9:14 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Trump doesn't have to help her. Immunity is to all diplomats and families.

I don't think she left the scene, I think she was sent back home by the State Department.

PES #598541 10/09/2019 9:20 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

It doesn’t seem we have all the facts. Was it a hit and run, was she in police custody then released? If she was in the wrong lane then it is obviously her fault and she should be charged w vehicular manslaughter. If it was an accident she should have stayed and faced the music. Sneaking off and claiming diplomatic immunity does not give justice to the mom who lost a son. Does anyone think Trump will help her?

+1 I think it puts Trump in a pickle, if he doesn't help he looks uncaring if he does help it sets a dangerous precedent but looks good politically. If this was a hit and run and she is clearly at fault I think she should face the music. I don't know the facts so very hard to make the right call.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #598542 10/10/2019 12:25 PM
New Tires
New Tires
The woman could of stayed, they couldn't touch her, it's the law.

We've had much worse crimes committed by foreign UN worker in New York City, they walk.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #598543 10/10/2019 1:17 PM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

We've had much worse crimes committed by foreign UN worker in New York City, they walk.

Worse than killing someone? How does that work then I wonder?

Funkletrumpet #598544 10/10/2019 11:24 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
I lived in England for two and a half years. I drove a British car a 1973 Ford Cortina. I had no issue adapting to driving there except when I backed out onto the road. Then I would be it the wrong lane sometimes.

On the Air Force base we always handed over military personnel to the local police. I had this happen couple times to people under my charge. I got no enjoyment standing in front of the Squadron Commander with these airman.

She should be returned for trial.

More than likely the family will be compensated by the US Government, but the hole in their hearts will be a lifetime healing.

They are in my prayers. Sadly my prayer list is long at the moment.

Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride
BillyIndiana #598545 10/12/2019 9:14 PM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
And our thoughts are with you and yours Bill.

I have an image of her coming out of the police station, getting into the back of a black SUV and being driven to her husband's base and straight up the back of a C-130 without even needing to get out of the car!
Latest news .... it appears the US government says she gave up any diplomatic immunity she thought she may have had the minute she fled the UK to avoid the law.

satxron #598546 10/12/2019 11:42 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

When I was in Bermuda it was a constant battle to drive on the left. Years of conditioning just makes you want to drive on the right. We had scooters and kept scooting over to the left when we forgot.

I think it happens (accidents) a lot more than we realize. Left drivers and right drivers when they travel naturally have the opposite muscle memory.

It is a tragic accident. Even without immunity nothing brings the biker back and nothing can erase the guilt she will feel for all of her days.

When I was in Bermuda they wouldn't let us drive anything but Mopeds. The theory apparently was that if anyone was going to get killed because a sailor was on the wrong side of the road it should be the sailor. I did OK except when I got to those darn traffic circles. It took a lot to stay left and turn clockwise.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #598547 10/13/2019 9:34 AM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

I did OK except when I got to those darn traffic circles. It took a lot to stay left and turn clockwise.

You’d get used to roundabouts (roondaboots in Canada) if you lived over here. I live 2.5 miles (by road) from my nearest fuel station.
I have to negotiate 6 of the damn things.

Funkletrumpet #598548 10/13/2019 6:23 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

I did OK except when I got to those darn traffic circles. It took a lot to stay left and turn clockwise.

You’d get used to roundabouts (roondaboots in Canada) if you lived over here. I live 2.5 miles (by road) from my nearest fuel station.

When we picked up the car in Malaga,Spain at the airport a few years ago the woman at the counter warned us to look both ways when entering a round about," there are many Brits on vacation as well."

SMJoe #598549 10/14/2019 4:13 PM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

there are many Brits on vacation as well."

Probably truck drivers. They consider yielding at roundabouts as 'optional'!!

Funkletrumpet #598550 10/14/2019 7:24 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
The parents are in the US making the news shows this week. They said they would not meet w the woman unless she goes back to UK. Apparently his dad spoke w him before he died.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
PES #598551 10/14/2019 8:54 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

The parents are in the US making the news shows this week. They said they would not meet w the woman unless she goes back to UK. Apparently his dad spoke w him before he died.

Send her back to face the music. We complain about scofflaw "Diplomats" here in the US so we should set the example. It's not as if we're talking about Russia or China.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
Funkletrumpet #598552 10/15/2019 4:46 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

The first time I drove in Ireland I learned fast that roundabouts (or traffic circles as we call them in NJ) were my friend. Once I was in one I could go around in circles until I figured out which way I needed to go.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #598553 10/15/2019 11:18 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The first time I drove in Ireland I learned fast that roundabouts (or traffic circles as we call them in NJ) were my friend. Once I was in one I could go around in circles until I figured out which way I needed to go.

8 of us in two cars in Spain decided the same thing keep going around until you figure out which vector to take.

ladisney #598554 10/15/2019 11:30 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

Send her back to face the music. We complain about scofflaw "Diplomats" here in the US so we should set the example. It's not as if we're talking about Russia or China.

She is a Piece of Sh$t and should be sent back however diplomatic agreements are there for a reason, agree with them or not they probably have kept many a person that did not deserve to be hung out to dry (literaly) by not so leniant countries such as (pick one) .

satxron #598555 10/16/2019 4:58 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

I don't think she left the scene, I think she was sent back home by the State Department.

From what I understand, she spoke to the police at the scene, and admitted that she was on the wrong side of the road. She apparently stayed in the UK for three weeks after the accident. When it appeared that she might be facing charges which would give her a criminal record & which could impact on her being able to join her intelligence officer husband on future overseas postings, it was then that she went back home, probably as you say, on the say so of the State Department.

Very sad business for all involved.

Nobby #598556 10/16/2019 9:32 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Trump met with the victim's parents in the White House today. Apparently they had wanted to meet the US woman, who was in another room, but they declined at the last minute.

Nobby #598557 10/20/2019 10:24 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

From what I understand, she spoke to the police at the scene, and admitted that she was on the wrong side of the road. She apparently stayed in the UK for three weeks after the accident. When it appeared that she might be facing charges which would give her a criminal record & which could impact on her being able to join her intelligence officer husband on future overseas postings, it was then that she went back home, probably as you say, on the say so of the State Department.

Very sad business for all involved.

The parents are now saying there's a cover up on both sides of the Atlantic. Personally, I think their grief is now being hi-jacked and influenced by people with a political motive, but then I don't know all the facts as I wasn't there.
My opinion is that if she had stayed over here, gone to court and pled guilty she'd had a fine to pay, if that. Chances are, it would have been ruled a tragic accident and there wouldn't have been a case to answer anyway. This happened when a mate of mine was knocked off his bike and ran over by a 40 ton lorry a couple of years ago, the driver didn't even get any endorsements, never mind a fine, even though it was only luck that prevented more than 1 death. Again, I wasn't there, but I was told what happened by the guy who was behind him

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
MACMC #598558 10/20/2019 3:12 PM
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Quote:

Trump met with the victim's parents in the White House today. Apparently they had wanted to meet the US woman, who was in another room, but they declined at the last minute.

They wanted to meet but on their terms.
They had it sprung on them. They were invited to the White House with very little notice and were told it was to 'meet a high level diplomat'.
It was organised without their knowledge and they only knew about it when Trump said "hey, we have a sh!tload of photographers next door, wanna meet her?" (I'm paraphrasing a bit there).

Funkletrumpet #598559 10/21/2019 11:43 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
It should never be a spectacle. It is a tragic accident. In the area of a court, charges, hearings etc. that can't happen. She is immune from all of that.

All of the UN nations have the same laws for diplomatic immunity. If you have any exceptions to that it degrades the purpose of the agreements. Diplomats have to be immune so they cannot be framed or detained as a political tool.

Many nations will sanction their citizens when they bring them home for crimes committed. In this case I don't see a crime, I see an accident.

satxron #598560 10/21/2019 9:58 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

It should never be a spectacle. It is a tragic accident. In the area of a court, charges, hearings etc. that can't happen. She is immune from all of that.

All of the UN nations have the same laws for diplomatic immunity. If you have any exceptions to that it degrades the purpose of the agreements. Diplomats have to be immune so they cannot be framed or detained as a political tool.

Many nations will sanction their citizens when they bring them home for crimes committed. In this case I don't see a crime, I see an accident.

Diplomatic immunity can be waived by the diplomats home country. This looks like a case where that would have been appropriate. If it was simply a tragic accident allowing Britain to make that determination would have made sense.

ladisney #598561 10/22/2019 1:19 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
She is back home. If immunity is waived now the Crown would have to charge her then extradite her.

Link Copied to Clipboard