Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Headlight modulators anyone?
#499664 08/26/2012 4:55 PM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Anyone used/using headlight modulators? Thoughts?

I am considering the Kisan Path Blazer. After a little research it seems this or the Kris are the better choices. More pricey than others but better tech for lamp longevity.

I don't intend to have it constantly on, that could annoy cagers, i will just flick to hi beam to activate it when approaching a dodgy situation.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
Re: Headlight modulators anyone?
foglefar #499665 08/27/2012 11:16 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have Kissan on my 2005 SM - plug and play, even works on my after market halogen sealed beam H4 lamp. I wouldn't ride w/o it and keep it on all the time!

Hot Pipes
jim5968 #499666 08/28/2012 4:54 AM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Now that many new cars have daytime running lights I think a motorcycle headlight isn't going to get much attention any more. This could adversely affect speed/distance judgements by inattentive drivers if they think they a seeing a car headlight, but not 2 lights, therefore it is not approaching.

The headlight modulators are now legal on motorcycles in all Australian states so I am pretty much convinced I should get one ... Especially because I am a fairly aggressive rider and I could do with that safety cushion.

I am not sure I'll keep them on all the time though,it could irritate cagers you might be following.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
foglefar #499667 08/28/2012 5:47 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
I hate to be in front of someone running those annoying things.

2005 Model . Two Fast Eddy stickers , a bell and a clock . She's Lola . She tinkles and keeps time . http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu211/britbike05/
Wade #499668 08/28/2012 8:26 PM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
I agree they are annoying. But that proves they get noticed, and used sparingly they shouldn't aggravate too much.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #499669 09/04/2012 7:08 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
And sometimes folks think you are "da law" and quickly get out of your way when you are coming up from behind... and one got mad when he found out I wasn't , but I out ran him....... you will be noticed which is better than being run over

foglefar #499670 09/06/2012 10:19 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Anyone used/using headlight modulators? Thoughts?

I am considering the Kisan Path Blazer. After a little research it seems this or the Kris are the better choices. More pricey than others but better tech for lamp longevity.

I don't intend to have it constantly on, that could annoy cagers, i will just flick to hi beam to activate it when approaching a dodgy situation.

I installed a VisiPath headlight modulator and brake flasher on my 04 and use the modulator on the high beam when I think I need to be noticed like in town traffic or when a car looks like it might pull out from a side road; I don't leave it on all the time or when following someone. I am happy with the modulator but a bit less impressed with the brake flasher which does flash 4 times when the brake is first applied but at a much lower brightness than when on solid which seems to somewhat defeat the purpose.

I figure anything that makes a bike more visible makes you safer out among the texting, cell talking, distracted drivers

Phil in Northwest Arkansas 04 America, Black, Corbin seat, TORs, no AI, 34K
philwarner #499671 09/08/2012 2:47 AM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Is your brake flasher the same as the ones available from Fast Eddy? I was considering one of those as well as the headlight modulator but if they are dimmer than stock, like yours, I will reconsider.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #499672 09/08/2012 8:45 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Over here, the highway code says flashing your lights is telling other road users "I am here" but in actual fact people flash other road users to say "it's ok for you to go".
Ride in this country with those things on and cars will be pulling out in front of you!

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare
foglefar #499673 09/09/2012 10:18 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Is your brake flasher the same as the ones available from Fast Eddy? I was considering one of those as well as the headlight modulator but if they are dimmer than stock, like yours, I will reconsider.

Not sure what fast Eddy has; the one I bought is at http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm .

I bought a combo package of headlight modulator and brake flasher together. Bought the 4 flash unit rather than the 9 because I read the 4 was legal in all states but the 9 may not be. It is probably more effective at night, but I don't do much night riding and in daylight the flashes are weaker than the solid on that follows them.

On the comment that some flash headlights to signal folks to pull out, the modulated headlight is a pretty rapid pulse and doesn't go completely out so I don't think it would be mistaken for flashing the lights manually; it's more like seeing someone ride over a rough road with the headlight bouncing. However, I still watch that front wheel like a hawk to see if it starts turning as I approach; there's no surefire escape from the stupidity of cell phone drivers these days.

Phil in Northwest Arkansas 04 America, Black, Corbin seat, TORs, no AI, 34K
philwarner #499674 09/10/2012 8:01 AM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Thanks Phil. Your brake flasher is different to Eddys. While his also flashes 4 times it is a bulb and flasher unit in one made by Kisan, while yours appears to be just a flasher unit by Comagination.

I agree that the modulation looks different to an on/off flash but I will take heed on your warning to remain vigilant in the presence of texting morons. I suspect the modulating headlight is more commonly mistaken for strobing Police headlights than go ahead and pull out in front of me flashes.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #499675 09/25/2012 3:22 PM
I have used the Comagination combo (9 flash brakelight) for four years now. I didnt check to see if it was legal, you'd think I'd do that being with the Department of Public Safety. I dont use the headlight modulator when I am riding in a group because it annoys the other bikers. It is useful when splitting traffic though. I usually get in front of the group, turn it on and away we go. The cagers think it is a motor cop and move over. Has made some slow traffic times just fly by.

Rick

Shamus #499676 10/27/2012 9:55 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I know this is a late post on this topic, I don't get to play in here often. Why I carry Kisan is multifold. They are made in US not China. They are computer chip circuitry. The PathBlazer, fades the headlight modulation rather than drops the light or blinks it. There is a 30% reduction in power to the light that is phased rather than cut which is not as hard on the bulb because it does not slam the filament with power surge when it goes back on high.

The tailBlazer too is US made and Computer chip with a Halogen bulb (and extra) that pulses and goes to solid. What I like is if you want to catch attention of a car coming up on you just release the brake and reapply and it recycles to flashing.

When following friends you can disengage the headlight modulator by turning down to low beam. These are programmable for sensitivity too.

eddy

[color:"blue"] www.fasteddysports.com [/color]
Fasteddy #499677 03/10/2013 3:20 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have to say, when I notice those modulators, I lock on to them like a pothole or rock in the road, and I need to fight the unintended urge to go straight for them.

2009 America
Update: Headlight modulators anyone?
MarcellusWallace #499678 03/10/2013 5:39 PM
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
I have now had my Kisan headlight modulator installed for a few months. I find it very useful and makes cagers notice me. There is a very poorly designed intersection on my daily commute where school mums routinely will pull out in front of me. I now flick on the modulator as I approach the intersection and they always notice me and give way. My normal mode is modulator off, but I will turn it on in the wet, when lane filtering and approaching dodgy situations. I think it is a great investment.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Update: Headlight modulators anyone?
foglefar #499679 03/10/2013 10:30 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Fogle, I have to say, that sounds more effective than letting the modulator on the whole time.

2009 America
Re: Update: Headlight modulators anyone?
MarcellusWallace #499680 03/13/2013 3:10 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Put the Kissan product in a couple years ago and use it regularly but not continuously. I turn it on when there is approaching car in left hand turn lane, vehicles entering road from a perpendicular direction etc. I was pulled over one time by a cop who used the phrase alternating headlights at which time I pointed out his headlights were alternating right,left my headlight was modulating and it had been tested in court. He bought the explanation but suggested I might have to give that story to more police in the future.

Moderated by  Dinqua, freedom, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard