Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: mag10 time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 03/30/2020 7:10 PM
how about those motorcycles?

since I am working from home now rather than travelling about, more time for riding is becoming available.

while the still crappy weather prevails in WI, it is at least not constant and I have been able to get a couple hundred brisk miles in.

it seems like the best way possible to get out of the house and still not be near anyone else.

anybody else getting out?
Posted By: Yota Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 03/30/2020 8:06 PM
changed my oil, pumped up the tires and went for a spin last week. felt good to be in the breeze.
Posted By: MattyMo Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 03/30/2020 11:18 PM
I have made a few laps around town over the last week. Has felt good out on the motorcycle and to see what is open and what is not. Weather has been warm for March. Have not gone far but have at least ridden some. Sad to say but I have been out on two wheels more this week or so than the last several months combined. It was so hot last summer & fall that cargo and/or weather made the car more appealing most days. I fear it will be another brutal summer around here this year.
Riding just about every day now. I have twelve bikes so the Triumph doesn't get the attention it used to. Took it for a good long ride yesterday though!
Never quit riding! Hardly a week that I haven't gone for at least a small ride across town. ( I do cheat. however. I have an electric coat and gloves!)
I can only ride to work or to the shops.. .. but I do take the long way home.. .
Posted By: Bruce Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 03/31/2020 11:48 AM
Year round riding here. The bike was down for a few days though in January when I change the fork fluid, engine oil, and tore the steering stem down to clean off the old grease and put loads of fresh grease on the bearings and races. Shouldn't have waited so long to do the steering stem, there wasn't much old grease to remove.
Posted By: Wade Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/01/2020 2:02 AM
My lifestyle has not changed a bit....I work from home anyway as a repair/build anything and everything guy in a small community. I live in a resort so we have food, bars, pools, roads, virtually everything is here. I just leave to get parts and such.
Posted By: SMJoe Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/01/2020 2:36 AM
Went for the first ride of the season today YAHHH I am thinking this is the earliest I have ever been out since reintroducing myself to motorcycles. Sunshine and dry roads!!!!
Typically for Iowa, the crappy cool/rainy weather has changed for the better here the last few days. Mid 50s and sunshine! Of course, as it usually works out, I just started a double bath major remodel and am working long hours now! Here in Iowa we have a saying; "If you don't like the weather, stick around, It'll change!"
Posted By: roadie Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/05/2020 10:38 PM
We had nothing but snow last week. But this week... Supposed to get 50ish; can’t wait to wake my bike up. DK where or when I’ll ride (we’ve got a stay-at-home order), but I’m sure looking forward to it. Have been since October when I stored it!
Had my bike out for a very short ride but boy did it feel good. I had other stuff I wanted to get done. I got my 2nd 8N running last week end after lapping the valves and fixing the blown head gasket but the carb was shot so couldn't test anything. I had to rebuild the steering box again because the shaft was shot and the bearing races are part of the shaft. I made a new tube for the steering shaft upper bearing and installed new bearings and in the box for the shaft and set the sector clearances. The box now works perfectly with almost no play. I also noticed as I was re-assembling that at some point the pitman arms had been installed on the wrong sides by a previous owner, that is now corrected and I successfully rebuilt a steering box that is not supposed to be possible to rebuild. I installed a new carb and had it running today and was able to test the hydraulics and they work as they should too. It runs great so now I need to get it out in warm weather so I can power wash it and paint before putting the sheet metal back on. I will start cleaning all that up next and getting it painted. Those parts I can handle and do much easier than the drive train.
Posted By: roadie Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/06/2020 3:33 AM
I don’t know if I was riding an 8N back in the 60’s, but the one I learned how to run a hay rake and a bailer looked a lot like it. Sweet old tractor! A lot more fun riding around on it than bucking bales!!

For me it was picking sweet corn. Now I plow snow, use an auger, pull a wagon around etc... I also have an 850 with a backhoe and loader. I use them but they are fun to play with now. I really wanted to ride more but I want my shop space back too!
We got the ok to ride solo in the area.It's been classed as exercise I was out yesterday on the 1200. tomorrow on my merica.It's ok.I don't stop.nowhere is open anyway.I just ride fill the petrol and come back home but it's ok.
Posted By: roadie Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/06/2020 4:45 PM
Hey Dog 33 —- I loved that old tractor. We had a much larger John Deere on the ranch, and newer, bigger Ford and a D2 Cat — horrible screechy, spent a lot of time lubing the thing to keep from going nuts! Long time ago, though, wish I had a tractor with a bucket and a backhoe now!

Hey Findlay! Hope you have some great rides down under! I’m counting the days - figure I can’t get in much trouble simply riding my America, I hope!
I went for a three hour, completely pleasure, ride yesterday. I went through the twistiest roads I've found here in central Iowa including Ledges State park where you ride through several streams that cross the road. The place was packed with family groups having picnics and lots of dogs. Everyone seemed to be keeping their distance from others. People were playing golf at the courses I passed, working in their yards and farms and having picnics and barbeques. I guess they just needed to get outside on a beautiful day. By the way, gas was $1.21.9 in Ankeny, 91 Oct with no ethanol was $1.77.9
Quote:

Hey Dog 33 —- I loved that old tractor. We had a much larger John Deere on the ranch, and newer, bigger Ford and a D2 Cat — horrible screechy, spent a lot of time lubing the thing to keep from going nuts! Long time ago, though, wish I had a tractor with a bucket and a backhoe now!

Hey Findlay! Hope you have some great rides down under! I’m counting the days - figure I can’t get in much trouble simply riding my America, I hope!

We also had an Oliver on the farm, it would never start on it's own, we always had to drag it. Used to use the jeep and every time we let the clutch out on the Oliver (diesel) the Jeep would hop off the ground. Fun days they were on the farm. My uncle finally traded the old IH and Oliver in on a new IH that did more than both of them put together. I have to say though, my 8N and 850 always start no matter how cold it is out. 8N is still 6V the 850 is converted to 12V. I am debating on weather I want the one I am fixing now to be 6 or 12V, nothing wrong with the 6V system on it now.
The weather in CT has not too cold lately. Today it's 60 in North Western CT, after 4:30 will be going out for a ride. Plan to enjoy it greatly.
Posted By: roadie Re: time for a new topic - riding a motorcycle - 04/06/2020 8:30 PM
Quote:

The weather in CT has not too cold lately. Today it's 60 in North Western CT, after 4:30 will be going out for a ride. Plan to enjoy it greatly.

Nice country up there! Enjoy!

Hey Dog 33 -- yeh, they were good days and good tractors! We had a 1000 or a 1500, can't remember now. It ran good as I recall, like the John Deere.

Ladisney I've been through Iowa a couple times -- lovely country out there, such a nice break from the endless prairie!

It's 54 in north Idaho today; looks like its about time to fire up the bike!
© Bonneville America Forums