Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: P19DJG My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/14/2015 10:06 PM
Well, when i first got my 2007 Triumph America over 2 years ago it looked like this....

Then I decided I much preferred it looking like a single seater & wanted more shiney stuff so went down this route....

Then i started getting fed up of polishing the chrome. The wheels & fork bottoms had the dreaded worming so decided to sand them down & paint them black, also blacked out the graters & a few other things whilst I was at it....

To this....

Then over the winter months I decided to strip the bike down, give it a thorough clean up, bit more blacking out, accept that some chrome should stay & give it a complete respray to freshen her up a bit.
Just need to fit the front indicators back on the forks & solder the wires in the headlight shell. Also need to change the rear shocks as they are getting quite rusty & the ride is a bit soft plus i'm going to fit an oil pressure gauge.
Other than that, i'm well happy with how she looks now....

Posted By: Ryk Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/14/2015 10:29 PM
Beautiful colour scheme, you have done your bike and yourself proud.
Posted By: erle Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/14/2015 10:35 PM
+1!
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/14/2015 10:39 PM
The colour is VW Mango Green. It was used on the Split screen campers, Beetles & the Karmann Ghia in the 1960's & early 70's.
Posted By: SCiesie154 Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 1:12 AM
Really Nice Bike. I am a 07 lover too.
Posted By: SMJoe Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 1:19 AM
Great colour I remember seeing a Karmann Ghia painted with it.
Posted By: arstaren Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 2:15 AM
Very nice!
Posted By: Peter_AU Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 10:02 AM
now thats a transformation
Posted By: TriumphLance Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 1:17 PM
What an awesome looking bike!
Posted By: SMJoe Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 1:40 PM
The fluted carb tops to match the flutes on the cylinders and the metal screen behind the blacked out carb covers are a great details so I have to ask after going out to look at my 07 Speedie what is that tapered piece with TTP on it? Functional or adornment?
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2015 2:44 PM
The TTP sticker is stuck on the crankcase breather filter. The hose normally goes into the airbox. I just routed the hose up between the carbs, cut the hose down & put the filter on then plugged the hose fitting sleeve in the airbox.
Posted By: marty Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/16/2015 12:58 AM
Looks great,nice job...
Posted By: SMJoe Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/16/2015 3:29 AM
Quote:

The TTP sticker is stuck on the crankcase breather filter. The hose normally goes into the airbox. I just routed the hose up between the carbs, cut the hose down & put the filter on then plugged the hose fitting sleeve in the airbox.

Ah Soo function with adornment
Posted By: roadworthy Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/17/2015 2:06 AM
Your bike looks great! I really like the color, and it compliments the black very well. Nicely done!
Posted By: KaiserSoze Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/17/2015 4:45 AM
Nice transformation, I like the color with the black. Thank god you got rid of that chrome trim around the fenders Why not paint the headlight bucket black to match the spot lights? Either way, good looking bike man, I like what you've done with her.
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/17/2015 2:36 PM
I was going to do the headlight shell too but then i'd have to do the chrome around the tail light to match, then of course the 4x indicator shells.... The list is endless & right now, all i want to do is ride it!
Posted By: blansky Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/18/2015 9:21 PM
Not to be anti social but preferred it the way it was.
Posted By: Vita Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/30/2015 3:32 AM
Love that bike! Nice job!
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 05/03/2015 9:18 PM
Did a 200 mile shake down since the strip down & rebuild the checked the torque of everything & all is ok there. Just one niggle, think i'll need to go up a couple more sizes on the main jet as it seems to run better with a tiny bit of choke even once it's warmed up.
Might also need to get some ear plugs or wrap some deadening around the baffles as those cocktail shakers are obtrusively loud.
Posted By: Keith Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 05/08/2015 4:01 AM
It looks great!
Posted By: mert Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 05/09/2015 3:22 PM
wonderful job!
i really dig it.
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 07/19/2015 10:22 AM
Now with HD risers & an oil pressure gauge....

One of the security guys on patrol....

Next job has to be the rear shock absorbers. Past their best & due an upgrade.
Posted By: thedeuk Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 09/30/2015 4:35 PM
very nice!
Posted By: MOTOSICKLE Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/01/2015 6:33 AM
Very good looking! I know that you have written about the HD-Risers and which model they are from but I can't find it with the smartphone! Please tell again!

Dan
Posted By: findlay13 Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/01/2015 12:03 PM
Very well done,except it's not blue.

Did you powdercoat the wheels black?
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/01/2015 9:21 PM
Hi MOTOSICKLE, the risers were advertised as HD Sportster, Dyna standard risers. I just cleaned them up, gave them a light rub down, sprayed them black then polished the paint off the fins.
When fitting the HD risers you need to drill out the top yokes as the HD bolts are bigger than the Triumph ones.
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/01/2015 9:24 PM
Hi findlay13, I sprayed the wheels with etch primer followed by gloss black then shot clear lacquer over them.
Posted By: findlay13 Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/02/2015 12:27 AM
It'll be interesting to see how they last I hope they keep in good nick for you.Look good.
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/03/2015 3:06 PM
Hi findlay13, the wheels were painted well over a year ago when the bike was still black with red on the fuel tank & still look good.
If the paint does start to chip off in places it's just a case of, mask up the tyre & flick some more paint over them.
Posted By: Edwin Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 03/11/2016 3:14 PM
Very cool story. Quite the transformation. Bike looks amazing.
Posted By: P19DJG UPDATED: My 2007 America transformations..... - 05/26/2016 10:38 PM
Now with finned sprocket cover, Westland Customs drag bars, lowered Hagon 2810 rear shocks, pod filters & a bit more blacking out of the chrome....

Very well done!
Yep..looking good..
The more I look the more I appreciate the detailed work you've done.Excellent.
Very nice
New chain & sprockets, blacked out cocktail shakers plus i've modified the chain guard & she now has 12 months M.O.T on her too....

Posted By: Erwin Re: UPDATED: My 2007 America transformations..... - 07/02/2016 11:37 PM
It was hard to believe you could make it any better. But i was wrong. Looks great !!
The continued mods to your bike look fantastic!
That does look good!
V.nice bike mate.

Love the green led
Nice transformation. Mine looks like yours at the beginning.LOL

I like the new tank logo, what is if off of?
The tank badges are off a 2005 T100. They were all chrome but i masked them up & blacked out the background to the Triumph logo...

that black back ground really makes the badges 'pop'. great looking bike.
Great job love the look and love your bike.
Thanks. I just keep finding bits to tinker with
Posted By: Yota Re: UPDATED: My 2007 America transformations..... - 11/07/2016 11:50 PM
i like it
Great looking bike, i was going to ask if you could get a smaller license plate and then saw a smaller one on the last few pictures.
I picked up some spoked rims from an early America to replace the mags on my 07..

I stripped them down, removed the old bearings & seals then repaired a slight buckle to the front rim....

Got the rims & hubs blasted & powder coated in black....

I then polished the stainless steel spokes & nipples on a buffing wheel, relaced the wheels & trued them up plus fitted new bearings & seals....

Removed the Bridgestone tyres from my mag wheels & fitted them to the spoked wheels with new tubes, balanced them up & bolted them on....

Very well played. Looks like you have worked her over from top to bottom.
Very nice ! But the black rims looked good in the kitchen, they matched the stovetop, canisters and backsplash tile so well, good contrast with the countertops as well. Just sayin'.
It just keeps getting better and better
Did a bit more tinkering today. Front sprocket cover changed back to the original. Top fork shrouds, engine crash bars, decals, spotlights & light bar removed. Headlight shell, mesh grill & carb steady bracket blacked out. Front indicator relocation brackets refitted & wiring all soldered up. Gave her a thorough clean, polish & dressing then did a little walk around video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFsAk-yjang
Posted By: avtges Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 08/22/2017 3:37 PM
Where did you find the parts for this? Looks great!
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 08/31/2017 9:05 PM
Which parts in particular avtges?
Posted By: chy Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 09/22/2017 4:06 PM
I like that.. very nice look!
Posted By: Mags Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/06/2017 2:29 AM
Where did you get that chin spoiler from? looks awesome!
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 10/07/2017 7:06 PM
It's a genuine Triumph part
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/02/2018 6:37 PM
Well, I've been tinkering again...

I decided it was time to upgrade the front brake on my 07 America seems as pretty much everything else has been changed/altered/modified in one way or another in my past 6+ years of ownership.

It started off like this with the standard Nissin caliper & solid brake disc...

I collected the parts over a month or so, mainly from ebay...

The front caliper is a Nissin 3-pot from a 2011 Honda Hornet CB600F with ABS which I've stripped & rebuilt...

Floating front brake disc with titanium brake disc bolts...

Nissin 3-pot caliper fitted with Armstrong GG organic brake pads, titanium caliper & banjo bolts, stainless steel brake pad pin & a speed bleeder nipple...

I kept the standard America master cylinder, just cleaned it out & flushed it through with DOT 4 brake fluid...

I've since covered just over 100 miles so it's well & truly bedded in & I can confirm there's a definite improvement in stopping power. The bikes pulls up quickly & effectively with minimal effort at the lever.
Total cost for this modification was just under £200 so in my opinion, worthwhile & reasonable...

I've also found the Bonneville sprocket cover i modified to fit my bike a few years back but never got round to fitting & did that too...

Posted By: B02S4 Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2018 3:17 PM
Great job on the front brake.
Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/15/2018 3:59 PM
Been tinkering & trying different risers with my Westland Customs drag bars

After having both America & Speedmaster risers I drilled my top yoke out & fitted some standard Harley risers a few years back...

Then fitted some 4" pullback Harley risers...

Now I've fitted some 1" billet risers & much prefer the stretched out low handlebar riding position...

Posted By: P19DJG Re: My 2007 America transformations..... - 04/25/2018 10:02 PM
Changed out my cheap oval/offset air filters for a nice pair of RAMAIR foam filters, went for a 30 mile trip & the extra air flow seems beneficial & I think they look better than the old filters too...

Posted By: P19DJG Re: 07 America transformations (UPDATED)... - 05/27/2018 2:11 AM
Now with Trident exhausts...

Here's a YouTube video of them & the baffles haven't been removed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw0xOIo36wY&t=
Do you swap 'em for the MOT or do you have a friendly station by you?
I had standard TORs with the end baffles drilled out. Tester didn't even fire it up.
I don't think they get too concerned with cruisers.

Posted By: P19DJG Re: 07 America transformations (UPDATED)... - 05/27/2018 7:32 PM
I have a friendly M.O.T tester in Northampton that I use.
Which reminds me, it's due in 3 weeks time.
Sweet looking bike!
© Bonneville America Forums