Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: mcfcinusa No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/14/2015 8:22 PM
Just wanted to let people know that i won't be making any more Footpeg Relocation Brkts. or any other custom parts. I'm moving to North Carolina in a few months and will be going back to work. I'm taking my machines with me but don't know if or when i'll get them running again. I'm still taking orders till the end of February. Feb 28 is the cutoff date for orders.

Des Young AAMMP
aacycleproducts.com
Posted By: Ryk Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/14/2015 8:40 PM
Where are you going to work at Des, an Aero-Space shop ?
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/15/2015 4:24 AM
I'll probably work outages at nuclear plants. They always need extra people when they're down for refueling. I've been a Maintenance Machinist at a nuke plant for the last 30 yrs. so i might as well carry on doing what i know best. I've always thought about maintenance at a hospital so that may be another avenue to pursue. I've never worked in Aero Space and at almost 60 there's no place that wants a "manual" machinist as i've never worked on cnc.
Posted By: Ryk Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/15/2015 5:20 AM
You'd make a good tool grinder wouldn't you? That's actually a great job to land. You might set up your machines and bid on some jobber work, always boring and repetitive, but if you sit at the top of the food chain, it pays extremely well.
Posted By: chuckyj Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/15/2015 1:23 PM
I was a Tool Grinder for Remington but got excessed to a lower job running a CNC
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/15/2015 5:34 PM
We had a fellow come into our shop to machine some rings 24" od x 12"id x4" thick. He couldn't even get them in the lathe chuck and true it up. He then went onto a 48" Bullard vertical borer and finally got them trued up. He had the crossrail way too high and was using an 18" boring bar instead of lowering the cross rail and using the tool holder. he finally gave up and someone else came over to finish them. He ran a cnc horizontal boring mill with a 8" spindle and a table 6'x 8' and a vertical traverse of 6'. I was amazed he didn't even know the basics of setting up a part or tooling. I'm a dinosaur that has always done it manually and too old to bother with cnc. Des.
Posted By: Ryk Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/15/2015 7:02 PM
Lots of Navy Yard work back there, and they are huge consumers of people with Machinist skills, you'll do fine.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/16/2015 4:18 AM
I hadn't even thought of the shipyards but thats definitely worth looking into.
Posted By: edmspeedmaster Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/16/2015 4:43 AM
i for one bought those footpegs for my speed master, if you are a wee bit shorter in the leg i highly recommend them, they work great.
Posted By: mag10 Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/16/2015 6:16 PM
Quote:

Just wanted to let people know that i won't be making any more Footpeg Relocation Brkts. or any other custom parts. I'm moving to North Carolina in a few months and will be going back to work. I'm taking my machines with me but don't know if or when i'll get them running again. I'm still taking orders till the end of February. Feb 28 is the cutoff date for orders.

Des Young AAMMP
aacycleproducts.com

where in NC are you headed? the company I work for is looking for a manual machinist at a location just south of Charlotte.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/16/2015 10:04 PM
We haven't found a place yet, we were thinking of outside of Charlotte and west. Taylorsville , Moravian Falls, Wilkesboro. We will probably rent a place and decide where we want to go after looking around. What type of work do they do?
I like larger sized work that needs a crane to lift it. I can run small lathes and bridgeport style milling machines but i used to run a le blond lathe with a 6foot chuck and a 30' long bed. By trade i'm a horizontal boring mill machinist but have ran verticals up to 12' table. Des.
Posted By: Ryk Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/17/2015 12:13 AM
The United States Nuclear Navy shops, sounds like a good fit for you. They deal with a lot of big stuff, not as large as the bigger Hydro Dams parts, but close, and a heck of lot more of it in demand.
Posted By: mag10 Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/17/2015 9:53 PM
Quote:

We haven't found a place yet, we were thinking of outside of Charlotte and west. Taylorsville , Moravian Falls, Wilkesboro. We will probably rent a place and decide where we want to go after looking around. What type of work do they do?
I like larger sized work that needs a crane to lift it. I can run small lathes and bridgeport style milling machines but i used to run a le blond lathe with a 6foot chuck and a 30' long bed. By trade i'm a horizontal boring mill machinist but have ran verticals up to 12' table. Des.

PM sent
Posted By: dardoonk Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/19/2015 4:23 AM
Des, A pre-welcome to NC. Please look me up when you get here. I am just southeast of Charlotte about 20 minutes.

Kurt - PM me if you need my phone # when you're in town.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: No more Footpeg Brkts. - 02/19/2015 4:39 AM
Will do , Des.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Taking orders again! - 04/26/2015 6:57 PM
Well, Seeing as the move isn' t happening yet and i've been turning people away/down and the machines aren't packed away either. I've ordered more blanks and am waiting on them coming in.

SOOO!! Get your orders in.

Des.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: Taking orders again! - 07/22/2015 5:28 AM
Six more orders came in, i can fill them before i finally shut up shop. I'm amazed at where people come across them. Some people use this site and others are in chat rooms,some people go to youtube and it brings them up.
© Bonneville America Forums