Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: Rick711 Stripped passenger seat fender threads - 11/04/2023 9:51 AM
Hi all,

My threads in the fender to bolt down the passenger seat are stripped. I was thinking of buying a longer bolt and just using a nut to tighten it down. What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Stripped passenger seat fender threads - 11/04/2023 2:56 PM
I would probably put in a helicoil or an insert if there is enough meat. I can't remember what is there. Either that or replace the nutcert.
Posted By: mag10 Re: Stripped passenger seat fender threads - 11/14/2023 1:17 PM
A buddy of mine had this same issue. If you go with the longer screw and nut solution you may end up with tire contact when you hit a hard bump and travel the rear suspension. It happened and was bad for the tire.
I recall that there was enough material in the fender to go up to the next thread size. If you do that, lift the bike so that the rear wheel drops away from the threaded hole so that you do not accidently drill or tap into the tire. Not a lot of room there.
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Stripped passenger seat fender threads - 11/14/2023 11:09 PM
I was thinking to keep the same thread if you are using the passenger seat so you can keep the slotted bolt. Could make a thick slotted washer and get the same effect I suppose.
Posted By: chy Re: Stripped passenger seat fender threads - 12/03/2023 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rick711
Hi all,

My threads in the fender to bolt down the passenger seat are stripped. I was thinking of buying a longer bolt and just using a nut to tighten it down. What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Thats exactly what I did.
© Bonneville America Forums