Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: Haddon1 Safe start starter repair - 09/10/2022 3:41 AM
Hello- everyone- has anybody had their starter boss crack and fail after installing the TTP safe start boss enhancer device. I bought one to put on a 2013 America motor, but wondering how good JB weld epoxy would be to hold it on! Thanks
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Safe start starter repair - 09/10/2022 11:01 AM
JB weld is strong stuff, I would say the key is to be sure it is as clean and free of oil as possible before installation. I have used JB to attach things to the engine and it has held for years and still going. That being said it is external and not subject to as much heat or bathed in oil. I have one too I have not gotten around to installing yet.
Posted By: svsteve Re: Safe start starter repair - 09/23/2022 12:55 PM
sorry for the late reply. I installed the safe start on my 02 america last year. nicely made product. follow the instructions and youll be fine. jb weld is just that,a cold weld. once it hardens, its not going anywhere. I installed the green springs while I was in there also, not necessary, just an upgrade. If you take it easy taking the cover off, you may reuse your gasket if not damaged. I now have a new gasket hanging in my shed as I couldn't see replacing a good gasket for no reason.
Posted By: mag10 Re: Safe start starter repair - 10/12/2022 2:48 PM
That safe start piece is not coming off. When I shredded my 904 motor a few years back that JB welded boss was one of the few bits still intact. Both the front balancer shaft and the starter gear bore were ripped out but the safe start was okay
Posted By: 2004_dup2 Re: Safe start starter repair - 12/09/2022 8:37 PM
I see you mentioned external, typo perhaps ?
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Safe start starter repair - 12/10/2022 12:24 AM
No typo, read it again, I said I have attached things to the engine with JB weld but those things have been external. I was saying that I use it for those as opposed to an internal attachment subject to constant hot oil not just heat like in the case of the safe start.
Posted By: Bruce Re: Safe start starter repair - 03/10/2024 2:02 AM
I thought the safe start wasn't needed for the newer models after 2007?
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Safe start starter repair - 03/12/2024 1:14 AM
It isn't if you have that extra bump on the back of the primary. Triumph redesigned the cases to make that stronger. I have 2 bikes with the weaker case and no safe start and both are fine. The mistake it seems mostly causes the breakage is giving the engine gas during start and the kick back that can happen then. Just choke and crank with a well tuned engine and seems no issue.
Posted By: REBEL Re: Safe start starter repair - 04/08/2024 6:10 PM
Hi to all, what is the part number for gasket and any other possible parts that may get damaged during installation?
Thank you in advance.

Rebel.
© Bonneville America Forums