Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: Haddon1 Motor help please - 06/19/2022 12:25 AM
Hello- everyone- On my 06 America I’m having to replace my engine- was wondering if anybody converted a EFI engine to run on carbs - My engine is carbs and I plan on keeping it carbed. So many good looking efi engines to buy but the carbed ones are few and look pretty bad. Anybody change an EFI over to carbs?
Posted By: chy Re: Motor help please - 06/19/2022 2:26 AM
I am betting the camshafts are different but it ought to run.
Posted By: Haddon1 Re: Motor help please - 06/19/2022 2:45 AM
Thanks for your reply I’m planning on putting my 790 cams in it and run on my TP stage 2 computer. I have noticed that the flywheel pickup that goes into stator on the EFI seems to have a lot more castellated pickup magnets?? all the way around then the carbed ones — I wonder if they are all magnets or if it matters??? Or if I would have have to change it out to mine??? Anybody know??? Thanks
Posted By: chy Re: Motor help please - 06/19/2022 11:29 AM
Good point. I believe you will also need to use your pickup and I wonder about the flywheel as well.
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Motor help please - 06/20/2022 12:47 PM
I don't know what the differences are but there are different CDIs even among carbed bikes.I am eventually going to try carbs on an 07 engine I have. I have not gotten back to my hard tail build since breaking my wrist. I have gotten backed up on everything else I need to get done that take priority. In my case I am going to put a set of old Amal carbs off of a Norton 850 Commando on it and see what happens.
Posted By: Gregger Re: Motor help please - 06/22/2022 2:59 AM
Could we ask what the problem is with your 06 engine forcing a complete replacement?
Posted By: Haddon1 Re: Motor help please - 06/22/2022 3:33 AM
It blew up and cratered
Posted By: mag10 Re: Motor help please - 07/21/2022 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Haddon1
It blew up and cratered

any details or pictures?

Having had both the carbed and EFI versions of the SM, I think the EFI has more potential in that you can tune both fuel and ignition together rather than 2 separate entities like the carb/CDI arrangement. Plus the EFI bikes start easier than the stock or lightly modified carb bikes.
© Bonneville America Forums