Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: duster440 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/13/2019 5:26 PM
NEW TO BONNEVILLE AMERICA.COM
JUST THE OTHER DAY PURCHASED A 1983 BONNEVILLE AMERICA
FROM A FRIEND. THE BIKE STARTS AND IDLES,THEN DIES OUT AND WILL NOT RESTART UNTILL COOLS A BIT, BOGS DOWN BAD WHEN ATTEMPT TO THROTTLE UP. THE FUEL TANK IS PRETTY WELL VARNISHED (SAT 6 YEARS),OBVIOUSLY THE CARBS ARE BLOCKED. QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT CLEANING OUT THE FUEL TANK, I CALLED A LOCAL BIKE SHOP AND SOUNDS EXPENSIVE. ALSO AM I BETTER OFF REBUILDING THE CARBS OR REPLACING ? IF I OVERHAULWHERE CAN I FIND REBUILD KITS AND SHOULD I REJET?
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/13/2019 10:22 PM
Disassemble and put them in a dunk tank kit and let them soak. While apart inspect the slide rubbers for holes/cracks.
Can't speak to the jetting, don't have enough info.
Posted By: duster440 Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/15/2019 12:02 AM
is there any easier way to remove carbs without taking off rear wheel and airbox?
Posted By: Ryk Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/15/2019 7:25 AM
Hose the front and rear rubbers that hold the carbs in place with WD-40 or any other penetrant oil, remove the metal clamp bands, work the carbs towards the airbox, then remove the front rubbers, I always pull the carbs to the left enough to detach the throttle cables. Mea Culpa, I'm slightly out of sequence, pull the fuel line while the carbs are still locked in place, first. It's not rocket science, you can manage it. There is also a small cone shaped screen in the fuel feed, remove and discard, it only causes grief at some point. There are schematics available on the internet, and if needed we do answer questions to the best of our combined recollections.
Posted By: B02S4 Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/15/2019 12:38 PM
What exactly is a "1983 Bonneville Indian", or for that matter, a "1983 Bonneville America"?
Posted By: Ryk Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/15/2019 4:31 PM
A Indian born near the Bonneville Dam in 1983, would be one. I've done rehab and repair three times on that particular structure since my career in the Millwrights began. And the area is historically tied to specific Indian Tribes
Posted By: mag10 Re: 1983 BONNEVILLE INDIAN - 08/15/2019 6:07 PM
Quote:

A Indian born near the Bonneville Dam in 1983, would be one. I've done rehab and repair three times on that particular structure since my career in the Millwrights began. And the area is historically tied to specific Indian Tribes

that is a beautiful area, I like the bridge of the Gods plus there is a impressive of statue of Sacajewewa near by.
not sure she actually looked like that, but the statue is pretty good.
© Bonneville America Forums