Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: chy What the fork? - 07/24/2019 9:33 PM
Finally decided after all these years to change my fork oil.. with some assist from my favorite helper Chy (grandson) we managed to accomplish said task .. just one thing though. My manual says 487 cc of oil in each shock tube.. I only got 300cc or so from each side and no leaks evident so I went against my better judgement ( I always measure what i take out and replace with the same amount) and put 475cc's in each side.
The test ride was okay I guess but it seems I just don't have much suspension travel and the ride is pretty rough.

I'm wondering if my manual has some bad info since I got with the bike years ago.. anyone have a similar experience?
Posted By: roadworthy Re: What the fork? - 07/24/2019 10:34 PM
did you take the forks off and drain them? I always take them off and clean them out
Posted By: chy Re: What the fork? - 07/25/2019 1:59 PM
Nope.. used my Fork tool and handheld vaccuum pump. Much simpler way to get it done.
Posted By: roadworthy Re: What the fork? - 07/25/2019 5:30 PM
Yeah it might be easier but that's probably why you have a fluid level discrepancy. I put in the exact amount specified when doing a fork off fluid change and have no problems
Posted By: mikemm03 Re: What the fork? - 07/25/2019 6:07 PM
Chy, I see you tackled this after we talked about it at the rally.
Page 11.11 of the service manual calls for 548 cc or 18.5 ounces for the early model America and Speedmaster.

Here's my set up and my suspension is very good. No dive and no jarring or bounce.
I'm running progressive springs for several years. If I remember the Progressives call for a bit less fluid due to a larger top spacer.

I'm using a 50/50 mixture of 10w and 15w. 532cc or 18 ounces.

Loosen top cap, lift bike and remove the caps, springs, washer and spacers. Lower the bike,Drain fluid ( I use a pneumatic bleeder, sucks it all out)
Add fluid to the correct level.
Additionally I measure with a metal yard stick, the fluid level is 6.5 " from the top of the fork.

Raise the bike, install the springs and spacers. Install the caps. Works every time.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: Bruce Re: What the fork? - 09/12/2019 9:44 PM
Quote:

Page 11.11 of the service manual calls for 548 cc or 18.5 ounces for the early model America and Speedmaster.

What years are referred to as early?
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: What the fork? - 09/12/2019 11:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

The ones made before 10 AM
Posted By: mikemm03 Re: What the fork? - 09/12/2019 11:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That's a good question, my service manual was printed in 2002. My America is a 2003. I believe the Americas suspension remained unchanged until 2007/2008. At least that's what I recall.
Posted By: moe Re: What the fork? - 08/31/2023 2:25 PM
Originally Posted by chy
Finally decided after all these years to change my fork oil.. with some assist from my favorite helper Chy (grandson) we managed to accomplish said task .. just one thing though. My manual says 487 cc of oil in each shock tube.. I only got 300cc or so from each side and no leaks evident so I went against my better judgement ( I always measure what i take out and replace with the same amount) and put 475cc's in each side.
The test ride was okay I guess but it seems I just don't have much suspension travel and the ride is pretty rough.

I'm wondering if my manual has some bad info since I got with the bike years ago.. anyone have a similar experience?

Reading my manual issue 1, 09.2001
page 1.15
Oil column dry fill is listed as 484 cc for both the bonneville and the bonneville America

HOWEVER, same manual, page 11.11
Bonneville fork oil capacity 484 cc
Bonneville America fork oil capacity 548 cc

What we have here is a misprint.
Posted By: chy Re: What the fork? - 09/12/2023 10:09 PM
Well we figured the forker out... We put in 548cc of oil after we replaced the seals. We will see how that works out for us.
Posted By: Haddon1 Re: What the fork? - 05/15/2024 4:02 PM
So what was the final outcome?
© Bonneville America Forums