Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: Bruce Valve shims - 08/09/2018 5:56 PM
Tore my 06 America down for it's 4th valve shim check. I needed two 3.075 shims so I went down to the closest Triumph dealer 75 miles away to see if they have any. As usual they didn't have the part I needed, not sure why I even go there anymore. I would have called first but they don't have a parts counter guy anymore so a service tech comes out from the service bay area to handle customers coming in for parts. He said they didn't have any but could order them and I would have to buy the whole pack not just the amount I needed. Don't you think that if they don't have any that they too would want some for the next customer? As I was standing there I saw a sign on the wall that said labor rate $47.50, I thought that was pretty good till I squinted my eyes and looked at the small print, that was per half hour. I ended up going through Hermys, they didn't have any in stock either so they had to order them but are at least willing to sell me only what I needed. I know it is a good thing to shop and buy locally, even if it is 75 miles away, but I'm starting to find it is easier to do business over the internet than with a person. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe customer service in the US is a thing of the past, especially if you are dealing with AT&T.
Posted By: oldroadie Re: Valve shims - 08/09/2018 10:14 PM
They’re the same as Yamaha shims. Go see your local Yammy guy and he can fix you up.
Posted By: Bruce Re: Valve shims - 08/10/2018 4:07 PM
Quote:

They’re the same as Yamaha shims. Go see your local Yammy guy and he can fix you up.

The local Yamaha guy is a little farther away than the Triumph guy, 75 miles, and he doesn't stock them either. He orders them as needed.
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Valve shims - 08/10/2018 11:07 PM
What kind of shops are these? I can't believe Hermy didn't have any in stock! Before my local yamaha shop closed he had both new and used to choose from.
Posted By: Gregger Re: Valve shims - 08/17/2018 5:06 AM
When I needed 25mm shims for my Rocket, I contacted the 4 Triumph dealerships in Ontario along with several Jap bike dealerships and no one could fill my order for 4 shims. I contacted a maw and paw shop called Moto Montreal in Quebec and they had everything in stock. Overnight shipped. That's the 3rd time I have contacted them for shims and they had all on hand . One dealership in Hamilton Ontario (Sturgess) was willing to swap shims but they couldn't guarantee they had the shims I needed in their collection and I wasn't about to drive for 10 hours to find out.
Posted By: Ryk Re: Valve shims - 08/17/2018 5:34 PM
Ebay sells our valve shims, even half sizes for us anal retentive types. They don't give them away, know what sizes you need.
Posted By: b717doc Re: Valve shims - 01/11/2019 3:13 AM
In my experience, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it....trust me. You will know if there’s a problem with valves, either no compression or Ridiculously loud pinging, other than that, I wouldn’t touch it...
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Valve shims - 01/11/2019 11:48 PM
With that approach you are asking for burned valves or damaged seats or both.
Posted By: Gregger Re: Valve shims - 01/20/2019 9:20 PM
Agreed Ian. If you wait until you have no compression.... you will need a valve job. If the valves weren't meant to be adjusted, Triumph wouldn't have included shims in the manufacturing process.
© Bonneville America Forums