Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: outerbanks Star Bolt - 04/24/2013 10:02 AM
And the newest Japanese Harley Sportster rip-off is the Star Bolt.

LINK
Posted By: Hermit Re: Star Bolt - 04/24/2013 4:54 PM
http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/...ge=1#Post588042

I am curious about seeing what shows up in the Yamaha Accessory Catalog.
Posted By: Dinqua Re: Star Bolt - 04/24/2013 10:56 PM
I saw the title and got a good chuckle. When I was a Yute, I used to date a girl named Star Bolt, seriously. Her folks were old smelly hippies that didn't shower very often. I think they were French too.
Posted By: Yota Re: Star Bolt - 04/25/2013 1:29 AM
i know the feelin dinkums
Posted By: Keith Re: Star Bolt - 04/25/2013 5:39 AM
Where have I seen this before.... ? Great looking bike!

Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/25/2013 10:13 AM
I missed the earlier thread on the Bolt.

I wish the Japanese would start building a bunch of copies of BMW boxers or something and leave Harley alone.
Posted By: NIbiker Re: Star Bolt - 04/25/2013 1:11 PM
Its a funny old world, BMW are now making excellent copies of the Japanese bikes.

But back to the Star Bolt, Looks Ok, but I would buy an 883 Iron. Had a test ride on one the other day, quite like it.
Posted By: Greybeard Re: Star Bolt - 04/27/2013 5:57 PM
At Lowe's we have a new line of wrenches that will undo a star bolt.
Posted By: arstaren Re: Star Bolt - 04/27/2013 6:35 PM
Ho Hum. Another Hardley clone. Pretty boring.
Posted By: Ryk Re: Star Bolt - 04/27/2013 7:19 PM
I could not find a stated horsepower/torque rating, well in a comparo vs. video, the blonde biker/hippie dude, says great power, just not how much. Is it my bad eyes or does the website tell us? They may not be exactly proud of the numbers, ergo, the deliberate omission.
Posted By: chuckyj Re: Star Bolt - 04/27/2013 7:46 PM
The 950 v star is the same I think. It performs good but most testers complained that it was to low. Its not going to be a rocket shipped a 950 V twin is not that big its the same as buying a 883 sporster ya its fun but at the end of the day you will want something bigger.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Star Bolt - 04/27/2013 9:51 PM
I think it would make a pretty nice lookin' Street Tracker.
Posted By: HeneryHawk Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 12:51 AM
Good looking bike, with the usual outstanding Yamaha quality.

A V twin is hardly a unique concept for a motorcycle, and doesnt make any/all that use it a clone to HD.

Its kind of funny to see the cry of wanting HD "left alone", as that head in the sand thought process has allowed HD to live in its old ways. The best thing for HD is competition, to make the best product that they can. They have a great sense of personality/identity in their bikes, great finishes, and a wealth accessories to add to them, even quite versatile and inventive in what they come up with. Yet there are many out there who desire superior performance, be it handling and power, or a different look. The Bolt just adds to the mix of choices out there, and with the reserve shocks, nice brakes, and the brass accents available, they add some nice touches.
Posted By: B02S4 Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 3:33 AM
Not bad for what it is. That cyclops tail light must go, though. And the pegs need to be moved forward.
Posted By: amglo Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 4:49 AM
Not a bad looking bike, although they claim it as a modern Bobber...I am glad that is nothing of the sort. As for the Iron 883...I think when it comes to reliability I would go with the Asian bike (yeah, I know that HD is more reliable than years back). I can't believe that The Springer Bobber Solo Seat is $459.00!!! I guess a Springer front end would run you an extra 2k or so, lol. To each his own, I love my little 865 and will go head to head any day of the week with the Bolt.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 11:42 AM
Quote:

As for the Iron 883...I think when it comes to reliability I would go with the Asian bike (yeah, I know that HD is more reliable than years back).

Well if that's how you feel why aren't you riding a "reliable" Japanese rip-off of a classic British bike? I hated the Kawasaki W650 for the same reason.

edit: I don't dislike the w650 or the Bolt because they are Japanese. I don't like them because they are obviously trying to capitalize on other manufacturer's image / heritage. Only the Japanese can get away with this crap if Harley, Ducati, BMW or any other manufacturer built a bike like the W650 the motorcycle community would freak out...but it's like we almost expect this crap from the Japanese.
But I very much like the Honda CB1100...a classic UJM. Now if only Honda dealers would get some to demo ride...
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 12:13 PM
Quote:

A V twin is hardly a unique concept for a motorcycle, and doesnt make any/all that use it a clone to HD.

It's not just the engine the entire bike is a Sportster rip-off, and face it that is exactly what Yamaha/Star intended.

Star. Interesting, even the name was changed for the American market to sound less foreign.
Posted By: BCarnage Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 5:40 PM
I like it. I think it looks great,especially the tail light.
Posted By: amglo Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 8:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

As for the Iron 883...I think when it comes to reliability I would go with the Asian bike (yeah, I know that HD is more reliable than years back).

Well if that's how you feel why aren't you riding a "reliable" Japanese rip-off of a classic British bike? I hated the Kawasaki W650 for the same reason.

edit: I don't dislike the w650 or the Bolt because they are Japanese. I don't like them because they are obviously trying to capitalize on other manufacturer's image / heritage. Only the Japanese can get away with this crap if Harley, Ducati, BMW or any other manufacturer built a bike like the W650 the motorcycle community would freak out...but it's like we almost expect this crap from the Japanese.
But I very much like the Honda CB1100...a classic UJM. Now if only Honda dealers would get some to demo ride...

Because it's a Triumph, not an HD or Yami, Suzuki, Honda...do I have to remind you that our Triumphs are unique and what clone of a good Brit bike is out there?
Posted By: B02S4 Re: Star Bolt - 04/28/2013 8:36 PM
Quote:

Because it's a Triumph...

Mine is a Thaiumph
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/29/2013 12:53 AM
Quote:

Because it's a Triumph, not an HD or Yami, Suzuki, Honda...do I have to remind you that our Triumphs are unique and what clone of a good Brit bike is out there?

"What clone of a Brit bike is out there?" That Kawasaki W650 in the picture is certainly impersonating a Triumph Bonneville.
Posted By: HeneryHawk Re: Star Bolt - 04/29/2013 3:50 AM
Are you sure its not really closer to a BSA?
Posted By: HeneryHawk Re: Star Bolt - 04/29/2013 4:39 AM
Quote:

Quote:

It's not just the engine the entire bike is a Sportster rip-off, and face it that is exactly what Yamaha/Star intended.

Star. Interesting, even the name was changed for the American market to sound less foreign.

Pretty uptight about this bike, arent you? Its hardly a copy as it has its own design cues that arent HD related, and really, many bikes derive styling and tech from others. For example, HD copied Curtiss on the VTwin, they also made the Sportster with design elements to copy the dominating British bikes of the time. So what?
Posted By: amglo Re: Star Bolt - 04/29/2013 5:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

"What clone of a Brit bike is out there?" That Kawasaki W650 in the picture is certainly impersonating a Triumph Bonneville.

Does not say much for the imitator:
"In the United States and Canada the W650 was imported from 1999 until 2000. With weak US and Canadian sales and the introduction of the competing "retro" Bonneville by Triumph, Kawasaki concentrated sales in Europe and Japan".
Posted By: Dwight Re: Star Bolt - 04/29/2013 6:27 PM
Quote:

Quote:

OB, considering as it appears you have a strong opinion about, let us say, "nationality-based design elements of motorcycles", then I have to wonder if maybe you might also feel the same way about Triumph's Speed Triple, as that machine's design elements were and are based upon modern-day Japanese Sportbikes "post-crashed"/"Hooligan" motorcycles as you probably know(i.e. fairing-less early GSXRs and others), and with really the only difference being an inline-3 cylinder instead of a inline-4 cylinder engine.

And, while I tend to agree with you about Japan Incorporated's tendency to make "copies" of other styles, the reason I bring this up is because I felt you might be overlooking the thought that in today's market there are a few other examples of motorcycle companies located other than in Japan who have "borrowed" styles from other sources.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/30/2013 10:01 AM
Quote:

and with really the only difference being an inline-3 cylinder instead of a inline-4 cylinder engine.

Exactly why Triumph dropped all their 4-cyl bikes...product identity. Classic Triumphs were known for their twins and triples but when they returned to the market with modern sport bikes they built 4-cylinder engines then decided to return to triples only.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 04/30/2013 10:13 AM

When you see a boxer twin like this classic what comes to mind first? BMW of course. But this bike is a Harley-Davidson built during WW2 at the request of the U.S. Army when they saw the shaft drive German BMWs performance in harsh desert enviroment. After the war Harley could have continued to build and improve in the boxer twin design but I suppose they decided that wasn't their style.
Posted By: HeneryHawk Re: Star Bolt - 05/01/2013 4:57 AM
Are you sure its as simple a reason as that?
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 05/01/2013 9:49 AM
Yes.

Posted By: Dwight Re: Star Bolt - 05/01/2013 4:19 PM
Yep Todd, OB's explanation for the short-lived Harley Boxer-engine motorcycle is correct as far as I know, also.

Another interesting short-lived variation on this military story is this shaft-drive Indian 841 longitudinal V-Twin(similar to the later to come Moto Guzzi V-Twins) which was Indian's alternative design sold to the U.S.Army during WWII.

Posted By: leonard Re: Star Bolt - 05/01/2013 5:55 PM
I think that the Kawasaki W650 is a better looking clone of the older Triumphs. They did a better job of cloning the Bonneville than Triumph did.
Posted By: Ryk Re: Star Bolt - 05/02/2013 12:06 AM
Just read in a Mag 46 HP and 55 Ft Lbs Torque for the mighty bolt!
Posted By: erle Re: Star Bolt - 05/02/2013 11:57 PM
Quote:

That's ALMOST as bad as ours!

Posted By: Two_Wheel_n Re: Star Bolt - 05/03/2013 9:06 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That's ALMOST as bad as ours! ...

The Bolt is 942cc tho...
Posted By: B02S4 Re: Star Bolt - 05/04/2013 8:19 PM
Quote:

Measured to what correction and at the crank or wheel?
Posted By: Ryk Re: Star Bolt - 05/04/2013 8:29 PM
They did not elaborate, just had time to read those numbers stated (I know, vague). I found the review it in some Cruiser Mag. and then they called my name, so I couldn't read the whole article. If those are true values at any RPM, that's on the weak side for the stated displacement. IMHO
Posted By: B02S4 Re: Star Bolt - 05/04/2013 8:58 PM
Quote:

They did not elaborate, just had time to read those numbers stated (I know, vague). I found the review it in some Cruiser Mag. and then they called my name, so I couldn't read the whole article. If those are true values at any RPM, that's on the weak side for the stated displacement. IMHO

I appreciate you posting what you saw, however we both know without knowing what device was used to measure & to what standard & correction, the numbers can't be meaningfully compared.
Posted By: Hobe Re: Star Bolt - 05/06/2013 3:03 AM
I would be very surprised if the Bolt outperforms the America. I've ridden quite a few Sportsters over the years and have always felt that the America seems to run somewhere in between the 883 and the 1200. I also think for the price I was right to go with the America vs. waiting on some thing like the bolt.
Posted By: Hermit Re: Star Bolt - 05/06/2013 4:01 PM
My local Yamaha dealer had Demo rides on the Bolt on Saturday (& free BBQ too).

I opened their email on Sunday.
Posted By: FrankW Re: Star Bolt - 05/08/2013 8:34 AM
And comes with a 1 year limited factory warranty.

Is that how long they think it will last?.
Posted By: Greybeard Re: Star Bolt - 05/09/2013 1:50 AM
Quote:

When you see a boxer twin like this classic what comes to mind first? BMW of course. But this bike is a Harley-Davidson built during WW2 at the request of the U.S. Army when they saw the shaft drive German BMWs performance in harsh desert enviroment. After the war Harley could have continued to build and improve in the boxer twin design but I suppose they decided that wasn't their style.

According to a Popular Mechanics writeup in, maybe, '44 the opposed twin XA and the Indian Guzzi were both way underpowered as compared to the 45 inch WLA V twin, and more expensive to build.

Oddly enough, the first BMW opposed twin was based on a 1920's HD model and another flat twin made in the UK.

Posted By: Hermit Re: Star Bolt - 05/09/2013 2:11 AM
Douglas had a motor like that. As did another manufacturer of that era that I can't recall right now. Starts with a "G" I believe, 7 letters.

I wish I knew why my brain works (or doesn't work) the way it does!
Posted By: amglo Re: Star Bolt - 05/09/2013 3:31 AM
Douglas Dragonfly

Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 05/09/2013 10:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

According to a Popular Mechanics writeup in, maybe, '44 the opposed twin XA and the Indian Guzzi were both way underpowered as compared to the 45 inch WLA V twin, and more expensive to build.

Oddly enough, the first BMW opposed twin was based on a 1920's HD model and another flat twin made in the UK.

Wow and I thought the rear cycinder of a V-twin didn't get enough cooling air flow. That configuration had to run HOT!

Acording to war experience in the North African desert the BMW longitudinal mounted boxer twin ran much cooler than Harley's V-twin and the BMW shaft drive was far more reliable without maintenance than a chain in desert sand.

edit: You are correct the original Harley-copy of the BMW boxer twin was more expensive but that's to be expected since Harley had to quickly design and produce all new tooling to build the engine and shaft drives will be more expensive than chain. As for power the Harley XA was a side valve and by the time it hit the front BMW had advanced to overhead valves for more power.

Of course it hardly mattered because the U.S.Army quickly realized the Jeep was the ultimate all-terrain durable messenger/scout vehicle. It was also incredibly versatile performing jobs no motorcycle could match.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 05/10/2013 9:27 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That's ALMOST as bad as ours!

Yamaha lists the Bolt at 540 lbs - 10 pounds less than an America so acceleration should be ok for a cruiser.
I would think a mag would just run it on a dyno and would not be listing crankshaft horsepower.
Posted By: Speedmaster05 Re: Star Bolt - 05/10/2013 12:41 PM
Quote:

I would think a mag would just run it on a dyno and would not be listing crankshaft horsepower.

Some magazine reviews list dyno numbers.
Some show the dyno chart, which often tells more than the raw numbers.
Posted By: moe Re: Star Bolt - 05/19/2013 10:16 AM
Quote:

...Yamaha lists the Bolt at 540 lbs - 10 pounds less than an America so acceleration should be ok for a cruiser.

Prefires check in at 497 dry. Triumph's addition of 53 lbs to our rides is another line item on a long list of sorrow.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 05/19/2013 3:03 PM
Star Bolt.
Air cooled V-Twin - check
Belt drive - check
Sportster styling - check

And now Star is bragging the Bolt has real steel fenders just like Harley.

Just get the real thing.
Posted By: moe Re: Star Bolt - 05/20/2013 10:16 AM
Druthers...

Rather have the modern engineering of the Yamaha than the alchemy of the Hardley Davidson.
Although is it mystical every time I walk into a HD apothecary.
Posted By: HeneryHawk Re: Star Bolt - 05/22/2013 2:17 AM
If the Bolt runs like Yamaha has made the Stratoliners and Raiders run, I d bet it moves quite well. HD cant keep up with the Strats or Raiders, unless they spend tens of thousands more just to get close.
Posted By: BCarnage Re: Star Bolt - 05/24/2013 1:06 AM
Here is an interesting article.... Sportster vs Bolt vs Bonneville
Posted By: roadworthy Re: Star Bolt - 05/29/2013 2:40 AM
Quote:

Seems like more often than not, the Triumph shreds the competition in these comparisons, even with the America and Speedmaster going against cruisers. Displacement and torque can get any bike down the road, but useable range and handling, along with a smooth ride usually win the overall prize.
Posted By: Hermit Re: Star Bolt - 05/30/2013 4:17 PM
A article in last month's Motorcyclist magazine quotes Star Corporate as stating that design cues came, not from the Sportster, but as a natural extension of the Yamaha XS650 (as customized by owners). O...kay.
Posted By: BCarnage Re: Star Bolt - 05/30/2013 6:26 PM
They used to have a Virtual Bike Show on their site, here, but it does not appear to be working at the moment. It was pretty cool to see what people had done to customize their bikes. I think every brand should have something like that on their site.
Posted By: moe Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 10:16 AM
Quote:

...a natural extension of the Yamaha XS650 (as customized by owners.)

The xs650 EXUDES Hardley's sportster v twin looks. NOT.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 8:31 PM
Well, like I said much earlier in this thread, I think this Star Bolt WOULD HAVE made a great looking Street Tracker, and ESPECIALLY because of two reasons:

First, most of the BEST looking custom XS650's people will see out there on the road HAVE been turned into Street Trackers.

And Secondly, other than Harley's XR1200, there STILL is not one major M/C manufacturer that has tried to tap into the Street Tracker market, which I believe has the potential to expand at this time.

Yep, all Yamaha/Star has done is make another copy of the Cruiser-ish Sportster models, THAT'S all....yawn!
Posted By: erle Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 8:39 PM
True, but they're one of, if not the number one, motor of choice right now for garage built, low buck bobbers.
Posted By: erle Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 8:44 PM
Quote:

...First, most of the BEST looking custom XS650's people will see out there on the road HAVE been turned into Street Trackers.

And Secondly, other than Harley's XR1200, there STILL is not one major M/C manufacturer that has tried to tap into the Street Tracker market, which I believe has the potential to expand at this time.

What ya got in that 401K!???

Just thinkin' out poud.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 8:45 PM
Yeah, but evidently AND unfortunately erle, it LOOKS like they're turnin' 'em into monstrosities like the one Jim just posted a pic of up there!!!
Posted By: erle Re: Star Bolt - 05/31/2013 8:47 PM

Yeah, to quote the FIRST response I got when I joined this site, "Not my cup of tea."

Posted By: satxron Re: Star Bolt - 06/06/2013 8:26 PM
Quote:

That 360 degree Bonneville runs away from the America too. its a zippy bike. The America runs mid 14s in the 1/4.

I like the Bolt. Yamaha makes a very good V-twin. I think it will sell well.
Posted By: outerbanks Re: Star Bolt - 06/07/2013 9:09 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That 360 degree Bonneville runs away from the America too. its a zippy bike. The America runs mid 14s in the 1/4.

I like the Bolt. Yamaha makes a very good V-twin. I think it will sell well.

First lines of the test summed it up nicely:
Quote:

There’s no disguising what bike Star Motorcycles had in its sights when the 2014 Bolt was released. And with good reason. The Sportster has been a best-selling model for Harley-Davidson for ages and has made it into the production line yearly since 1957.

The Star is just another copy.
The Bonneville is unmistakable, a Triumph. Might be why I've heard so many compliments on my Triumph from Harley owners. Albeit usually old, giezer Harley owners...
Posted By: B02S4 Re: Star Bolt - 06/16/2013 4:09 AM
Tested one today (well, OK, technically yesterday). Here's the summary, post # 859 here: ADV Bolt Thread

I could not wait to get back on my SM.
Posted By: BCarnage Re: Star Bolt - 06/17/2013 7:18 AM
I tested one today also. I just happened to be riding by a big multi-brand shop on my way out of town and saw the truck. There was no line. Well happy Father's day to me...
I like the way B02S4 did his review (so I'm using that as my outline), though I don't know or perhaps just didn't pay as much attention to details,but...
The good:
great cornering/handling. The bars were pretty comfy and the bike does feel much lighter than it is.
strong low-end torque, yes the extra bit of torque was nice and noticeable. We got on the freeway and it was right at 70mph no problem and very quickly.
I thought the suspension was good.
sounds great at idle
I also thought it seemed small and actually wanted to put my feet out a little farther, I'm 5'10" with a 31 " inseam and I felt a little cramped.
I really like the seat.
decent brakes
I also thought the bike seemed of pretty decent quality as well.
I fell like the only one in the world who likes that taillight. Maybe it's because I just put a 34 ford taillight on my bike.

The bad
No tach
I thought it shifted kind of clunky, and I got a lot of false neutrals.
I felt like I ran through the gears rather quickly
The exhaust, all modern Yamaha's have ugly exhausts. It would be my first thing to change.

The whatever
That digital display, though I like the placement was a pain to see. Weird that it is so dark. It actually might be better at night.
I also don't have any problem with the seam in the tank. It doesn't bother me and never has, on any bike. People seem to go on about it.

Overall it has a lot of the styling's that I have done to my Speedmaster. I have no need to buy a bike similar to my own but I really enjoyed riding it and I hope it does well for Yamaha. I would recommend one to a friend especially if they are shorter in stature than myself. Like our bikes, I think it is a good size that a person may have for a very long time because it is pretty versatile.
Posted By: Hermit Re: Star Bolt - 06/28/2013 6:28 PM
I was in the neighborhood yesterday and stopped by the dealer. He tried to get me to take a test ride, but since I was dressed in my usual attire of shorts, T shirt and flip flops, I declined. After all; this is a real motorcycle - not a scooter! Anyway, it sat pretty nice. Maybe good for a couple hundred miles w/o complaint. Dealer says he's sold about 15 so far.
Posted By: edmspeedmaster Re: Star Bolt - 06/28/2013 9:04 PM
Arg, nice looking bike for the most part but the exhaust and the front forks got to go, the front end looks week in comparison to the rest of the bike, kind of like having a big chest and arms then real skinny legs!
© Bonneville America Forums