Bonnevilleamerica.com
Posted By: mcfcinusa Retiring. - 07/07/2014 8:31 PM
Things have changed since my accident on July 25th 2012.

The San Onofre Nuclear power plant i worked at for the last 30 yrs. has shut down and my job "eliminated" (they still do the same job but are now called Maintenance Techs whereas before we were Maintenance Machinists). After much consideration and financial planning plus other details which i will keep to myself i will be retiring in 3 or 4 months and i'll be 59 by then.

Having worked for Southern California Edison for 33 years it's time to enjoy life. I have been on 24hr. call ever since starting there and have worked many 72 hour weeks and even a few 92 hour weeks. I have probably averaged around 45% overtime over my time there and to be honest I won't miss the place or the B.S. that goes along with Nuclear work.

My wife is retiring in May 2015 so she'll keep me on the straight and narrow.

I've not "worked"at work since the accident but have "worked" at getting better and recovering from the accident. I have a few more ideas for the bikes and hope to get to them sooner than later. Des.
Posted By: edmspeedmaster Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 8:50 PM
retirement???? whats that?

Good for you though, still young enough to do some other stuff anyways which is good.
Posted By: Ryk Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 8:54 PM
Going to work is way over rated.
Posted By: satxron Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 9:13 PM
Like Maynard said "Work!" It not a good thing. Great idea to retire.
Posted By: The_Dog33 Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 9:13 PM
Unfortunately I will probably be working until I drop dead, envy you but sounds like you earned it! I was self-employed most of my life so while you were putting in those long hrs I was out riding and going places and doing things I wanted when I wanted but now I am pretty much screwed! Hope you enjoy your retirement , may it be long and joyful.
Posted By: Ryk Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 9:15 PM
Quote:

Like Maynard said "Work!" It not a good thing. Great idea to retire.

Maynard G Krebs?
Posted By: blackdog Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 9:15 PM
In a word, envious. Realistically I'm looking at folding my hand in about 10 years at 66.
Posted By: StandingBull Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 10:31 PM
Congratulations on the retirement and good luck. Enjoy it.
Posted By: BCarnage Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 11:07 PM
Congratulations. My father just retired 2 weeks ago, and is very happy so far. He bought a new bike to start riding again. (Something bigger than his Trail 90) He's looking at doing our RAT/TRAP Baker City Rally with me.
Posted By: Hermit Re: Retiring. - 07/07/2014 11:19 PM
Congratulations. I've always believed that we should have as many years in retirement as we did in the workplace. Besides, it's the best way to get back some of those tens of thousands you gave the government for all those years.

Good luck, and before long, you'll wonder how you ever had time to work anyway.
Posted By: TriumphLance Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 2:27 AM
Congratulations on your decision, and enjoy!
Posted By: Celt Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 2:40 AM
Nice, lots of biking n fitba time eh.
Posted By: foglefar Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 2:52 AM
You lucky b@$t@rd! I am envious. Congrats and enjoy.
Posted By: arstaren Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 2:57 AM
No retirement ever on my radar. But I'm happy for you and it sounds like you deserve it'! Enjoy and best wishes!
Posted By: Keith Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 3:44 AM
Congratulations on the retirement and may you continue to heal well from the accident!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 4:35 AM
Quote:

Congratulations. I've always believed that we should have as many years in retirement as we did in the workplace. Besides, it's the best way to get back some of those tens of thousands you gave the government for all those years.

Good luck, and before long, you'll wonder how you ever had time to work anyway.

I'll second what Steve said here. Just received my first S/S check a few months back after turnin' 62 and lovin' it.

Enjoy your retirement, Des!
Posted By: freedom Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 1:57 PM
Quote:

I've not "worked"at work since the accident but have "worked" at getting better and recovering from the accident. I have a few more ideas for the bikes and hope to get to them sooner than later. Des.

Parallel worlds man. I'm unsure at times if recovery is a matter of rehabbing or time or denial, or in my mind a combination of all of the above I retired the end of April, which was both a long time financially planned goal and after effects of the wreck in 2009. I also kept on working, but in reality wasn't able to do the job as I had before and that got frustrating. So when it was time it was time. I think a lot of it is attitude. I'll be back in Nelson in a few weeks to visit psychological support group there

Good luck to you.

jh
Posted By: Bruce Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 2:19 PM
I retired on March 31st at age 58 after 20 yrs Air Force and then 20 yrs Dept. Of Corrections. I'm so busy now that I wonder how I ever found time to do the things that needed doing when I was working. Enjoy.
Posted By: mcfcinusa Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 5:31 PM
Thanks Guys, I know it'll be better when my wife retires (at least i hope so. Ive got so much to do but with very little cash over the last two years I have just been doing stuff around the house and doing the same thing everyday ends up driving you nuts. Just like my doctor said "you can't do what you did on the weekends while working then do it seven days /week. Hopefully my wife will drag me out with her when she goes shopping, I wasn't ready for this two years ago and my wife is 10 months away from retiring so it makes me feel better. I get fed up of talking to Millie (our pot belly pig)even she just wanders off. hehe. Des.
Posted By: Gregger Re: Retiring. - 07/08/2014 9:50 PM
Des,

Sounds like a good plan.... All the best now and the many years ahead of you! Take care.
Posted By: hill8586 Re: Retiring. - 07/09/2014 2:21 AM
Well , I suppose congratulations are in order...
Posted By: HabuBA Re: Retiring. - 07/09/2014 5:25 AM
Congrats, on your retirement. Planning the deed early next year.
Posted By: moe Re: Retiring. - 07/09/2014 11:07 AM
Quote:

...I was self-employed most of my life so while you were putting in those long hrs I was out riding and going places and doing things I wanted when I wanted but now I am pretty much screwed!...

Ah, but at least you were young enough to do it Ian. All too often when one retires, they have the time but no longer have the stamina. How rich is a man when he has no time to not only properly spend it, but more importantly ENJOY it? Sow your oats while and when you can.
Newt explained this to me the last GA rally. Shaun (nobby) also, by his actions back oh say ten years ago!

Posted By: Yota Re: Retiring. - 07/09/2014 1:16 PM
thanks moe. im gonna go sow some oats right now
Posted By: lylesdo Re: Retiring. - 07/12/2014 4:13 AM
Envious... congratulations and well deserved!
© Bonneville America Forums