BonnevilleAmerica.com | Forums Home | Photopost Archive | AUP | Disclaimer

Technical Forums >> Exhaust

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
latebreak

Reged: 09/28/08
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Exhaust Loudness Ranking
      #354000 - 10/05/08 08:45 PM

I've spent a ton of time searching, reading and watching videos on you tube. I cannot find a definative ranking of pipes from quietest to loudest.

This is my best educated guess (quiet to loud). Can anyone comment?

Stock (sewing machine)
TORS (long)
TORS (short)
Stock (debaffle)
D&D
BUB
SS
Sceptre (baffle)
Sceptre (no baffle)

Has anyone had their bike side by side with a Harley with aftermarket exhaust? A few friends (lemmings) have XL1200C's with screaming eagle pipes. I don't want to be any louder than those...

Thanks!

Matthew

--------------------
2007 Speedmaster w/ SS Long Slash Cuts, K&N, Polaris Bellmouth, and AI Removed
132/42/2.0 Turns Out/No Shims

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nolan

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: Arkansas USA Mt. Home
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: latebreak]
      #354040 - 10/06/08 06:59 AM

I ride with mostly Harley riders. They say they cain't hear mine. After riding with them I cain't hardly hear any-thing else. I have D&D I want to hear my bike, but I don't want to disturb others. Any quiteter then mine, I would not like them. I think your Rating has D&D right.

nuthin
Learned Hand

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Rockwall, Texas
      #354067 - 10/06/08 08:54 AM

Sceptreshave two options for baffles. 1 in and 1.5 in. With the 1 inch they aren't much louder than stock.

--------------------
Learning from my mistakes... again and again.

latebreak

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: nolan]
      #354088 - 10/06/08 12:15 PM

Quote:

I ride with mostly Harley riders. They say they cain't hear mine. After riding with them I cain't hardly hear any-thing else. I have D&D I want to hear my bike, but I don't want to disturb others. Any quiteter then mine, I would not like them. I think your Rating has D&D right.

Good feedback, Thanks! I defintely do not want Harley loud/obnoxious. I do want to be heard, and I do want to hear the bike when I'm riding.

--------------------

Conwy
Learned Hand

Reged: 05/21/07
Loc: Kent, WA, USA
      #354092 - 10/06/08 01:18 PM

Quote:

Good feedback, Thanks! I defintely do not want Harley loud/obnoxious. I do want to be heard, and I do want to hear the bike when I'm riding.

My vote is, naturally, for Bubs. They are loud but not real obnoxious. They sound great at any speed and I got many compliments on them, even Zmilin complimented me on the sound of them when he rode my damaged bike to a dealer.

Some others, more knowledgeable than I, have stated that Bub engineers specifically tuned these pipes for the Triumphs.

All I know is I like them and they will go on my next bike, even if they are a little scratched up from my accident.

--------------------
Blue/White 2007 TBA, Thruxton needles, Unifilter, AI removed, Polaris Bellmouth, Bubs, Nology Coils/wires, Lightbar, Ricor Intiminators, Hagon Nitros, Tall Sissy Bar w/luggage rack, Dart flyscreen & Lowers. 130 Mains, TrueGel Battery MG12-BS.

bonbilli
Complete Newb

Reged: 05/11/07
Loc: Weston, Fl. USA
      #354103 - 10/06/08 02:14 PM

I have epco~s that are pretty darn loud!! ??

--------------------
07 speedy black and maroone, AI gone, Freak, Epco's, dynojet kit.

RamSound
Loquacious

Reged: 08/09/05
Loc: Mary Esther, FL
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: bonbilli]
      #354140 - 10/06/08 06:46 PM

I think the Bubs I've heard are louder than my SS, but I like the overall sound of mine better.

--------------------
Bob
2005 America, 904cc - sold. 2014 Trophy SE.

BrianT
Loquacious

Reged: 06/18/06
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL USA.
      #354149 - 10/06/08 08:38 PM

The only thing I've heard louder than my JCW shorties, was during the one 10mi ride I took with no mufflers, just straight pipes.
I went through a tunnel at WFO and the sound hurt my chest.

--------------------
Steelheart- '03 Speedmaster Black/Yellow
The Hayabusa Killa
16" Shorties/140 mains/Airbox drilled
Procom CDI

"There is no cure for Celibacy. But we can treat the symptoms."

ssjones
Check Pants

Loc: Hagerstown, MD
      #354164 - 10/07/08 04:53 AM

I can't imagine that the SS pipe with no baffle isn't just as loud as the Sceptre. Pulled my baffles once, it's like a banshee. (also can't imagine why someone would want to ride w/o baffles for any length of time)

If you want HD screaming eagle type sound, better stick with the TOR's

--------------------
Al

Edited by ssjones (10/07/08 04:54 AM)

Crowbar
Greenhorn

Reged: 11/15/07
Loc: Bucks Co. PA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: ssjones]
      #354182 - 10/07/08 07:35 AM

I'll add my 2 cents.
I removed one baffle from my stock pipes. Not much difference, maybe went from a sewing machine to a Volkswagan Bug. No rumble.
I only ever saw one of our bikes with loud pipes. The guy rode off before I could get a closer look or talk to him. The bike was way too loud for me,{and I got a '70 ironhead} you could still hear it when it was far away.
I tried getting an idea of exaust sounds from youtube videos and such. It didn't give me much of a clear picture just cause of the poor sound quality I get on my computer. They all sounded alike to me.

nolan

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: Arkansas USA Mt. Home
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Conwy]
      #354210 - 10/07/08 09:54 AM

If your exhust is engineered for your bike, did it need rejetting?

Conwy
Learned Hand

Reged: 05/21/07
Loc: Kent, WA, USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: nolan]
      #354231 - 10/07/08 10:29 AM

Quote:

If your exhust is engineered for your bike, did it need rejetting?

I never rejetted. She seemed to run well, no issues with popping. However, after doing a lot of reading on the site, I did buy a set of jets (130's) and was planning on putting them in until my accident.
Perhaps it's more appropriate to say the Bubs are tuned for the bike. If you do a little research here, you should find the thread where some others chimed in about the Bubs were set up for the Triumphs. Either way, I was very happy with them.

--------------------
Blue/White 2007 TBA, Thruxton needles, Unifilter, AI removed, Polaris Bellmouth, Bubs, Nology Coils/wires, Lightbar, Ricor Intiminators, Hagon Nitros, Tall Sissy Bar w/luggage rack, Dart flyscreen & Lowers. 130 Mains, TrueGel Battery MG12-BS.

beamer
Learned Hand

Loc: MINERAL WELLS TX.
      #354660 - 10/10/08 06:21 AM

My pipes were looking ragged,,, good solid coat of gloss or semi-gloss grill paint. looks very good. i wrapped my headers w/ black header wrapp.

--------------------
Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."

beamer
Learned Hand

Loc: MINERAL WELLS TX.
      #354661 - 10/10/08 06:25 AM

I run the BUBB dresser dogs (discontinued) and I have recently removed the baffels and cut 14 in off the back side of them. still have plenty of back pressure and better volume. I like it much better!. I still need to shimm the carbs cause they do pop on decell, but not real bad.

--------------------
Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."

Hittman
Greenhorn

Reged: 02/03/08
Loc: Wichita-KS
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Crowbar]
      #354774 - 10/11/08 06:18 AM

I'm happy with my EPCOs, especially for the price & being stainless

--------------------
Greg

04 BumbleBee SM

Stacka
Oil Expert

Reged: 12/19/06
Loc: Canberra Australian Capital Te...
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Hittman]
      #355595 - 10/16/08 08:06 PM

Speaking of Stainless, I don't see the Staintune pipes being mentioned here. But of course they are not in the obnoxiously loud category which suits me anyway. Mind you, that's with me keeping the restrictor in.

Taking it out and the decibel lever goes from 94 (tors are 91db) to 99 db' which may suit a few of you guys. Particularly as the staintunes have their own pure sound that give them their own fan club.

Don't trust me? When you hear them, you'll know what I'm talking about

--------------------
Staintune Pipes, K&N Pods, 45 pilots, TBS needles and 145 mains.

Lazyrider
Learned Hand

Reged: 07/10/08
Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Stacka]
      #355601 - 10/16/08 09:37 PM

Quote:

Taking it out and the decibel lever goes from 94 (tors are 91db) to 99 db'

What instrument did you use to measure that? How far was the transducer from the pipes?

Jack

--------------------
'08 America Blue/White; Custom Headlamps, Custom Lowers, Clearview 20", Bafflectomy

KingOfFleece
Adjunct

Reged: 08/30/07
Loc: Buffalo, NY
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Lazyrider]
      #355609 - 10/17/08 04:40 AM

Yes, you need to rejet for the BUBS. use Pat's jet caculator and it'll be perfect. There will be a difference. I did a bit of experimenting with my BUBS for 10,000 miles and Pat's calcution is right on.

HeneryHawk
Learned Hand

Reged: 05/31/06
Loc: Cambridge,IL
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: KingOfFleece]
      #355629 - 10/17/08 08:32 AM

LOVE my Sceptres. Open em up, and its a treat. I always get comments on how great it sounds, and havent had one complaint about being too loud.

--------------------
Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and will never be.----Thomas Jefferson

JCBullen
Oil Expert

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: Little Rock, AR
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: HeneryHawk]
      #355635 - 10/17/08 09:12 AM

I have EPCOs, and they're too loud and 'raspy' for my tastes. I have to put in ear plugs before I ride, and I'll soon be puttingthem up for sale as soon as I get some replacements.

--------------------
JB

"Long live the Duck Force!"

Stacka
Oil Expert

#355678 - 10/17/08 04:20 PM

I'm now writing a small report on my Staintune pipes, so I suggest you read it and hopefully I'll answer your question there.

--------------------

Lazyrider
Learned Hand

#355813 - 10/18/08 09:31 PM

Quote:

I'm now writing a small report on my Staintune pipes, so I suggest you read it and hopefully I'll answer your question there.

OK, thanks. Was asking because I've been thinking about taking some measurements of my own. I currently use long TORS, and am getting ready to gut a set of stock pipes for grins. I have an older model Rat Shack SPL meter that's good for broadband measurements. I'd like to try and duplicate the methods that produced the numbers you quoted. That way, we could compare apples and apples.

Jack

--------------------
'08 America Blue/White; Custom Headlamps, Custom Lowers, Clearview 20", Bafflectomy

Stacka
Oil Expert

#355824 - 10/19/08 01:01 AM

Actually Jack, I reckon all pipes should have a decibel rating at a constant rpm. That way people can be informed of what they are buying and not just relying on someone else cos obviously it's very subjective.

I bought the SS pipes believing what others had said, and by no means was it their fault I found them to be a tad too loud. It's just that to them, they aren't too loud - simple

--------------------

ssjones
Check Pants

Loc: Hagerstown, MD
      #355850 - 10/19/08 07:27 AM

I wonder if SS changed something in their baffles? Has anyone heard a side-by-side comparison of old SS versus a new set? When mine were stock, while throatier than my 1st Gen TOR's they were certainly weren't what I would call loud vs. an Epco or Sceptre. Shoot, I was at an event in VA two weeks ago and Presto was there with his new SS pipes. But I have pulled some packing material from mine, so they are now definitely louder. I didn't get a chance to hear his (now his wife's) bike running.
Quote:

Actually Jack, I reckon all pipes should have a decibel rating at a constant rpm. That way people can be informed of what they are buying and not just relying on someone else cos obviously it's very subjective.

I bought the SS pipes believing what others had said, and by no means was it their fault I found them to be a tad too loud. It's just that to them, they aren't too loud - simple

--------------------
Al

P38_Fan
Complete Newb

Reged: 10/18/08
Loc: Orlando
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: ssjones]
      #355875 - 10/19/08 12:52 PM

I'll confess some amusement at the ratings stated in the first post. (No disagreement, just a chuckle). I took the original pipes off my '03 Speedmaster because, as most have noticed, they're too stinking quiet. I put the long TORs on it (they look great), but it's almost too painful to my ears to ride this thing. I'm working on placing some minor baffles in them, and I'm just curious why more owners aren't expressing the same complaint about the noise volume of these pipes. I've got some pretty good hearing, but I didn't think it was that sensitive.

Stacka
Oil Expert

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: P38_Fan]
      #355891 - 10/19/08 03:48 PM

Most would agree the tors aren't overly loud at all. Mind you, I always wear ear plugs regardless which I guess may explain somthing to you. I don't remember anyone wanting to quieten a set of tors down and in fact most want to take baffles out of them.

--------------------

P38_Fan
Complete Newb

#355901 - 10/19/08 05:23 PM

I'll admit I'm a bit confused here. I don't recall seeing any baffles in these pipes (I can see straight through them). There does appear to be some internal perforations resembling a glasspack type design, but nothing in there that restricts or redirects the exhaust gas flow. Where am I getting lost here?
Thanks.

Lazyrider
Learned Hand

#355919 - 10/19/08 07:48 PM

Quote:

I'll admit I'm a bit confused here. I don't recall seeing any baffles in these pipes (I can see straight through them). There does appear to be some internal perforations resembling a glasspack type design, but nothing in there that restricts or redirects the exhaust gas flow. Where am I getting lost here?
Thanks.

My TORS came from a local rider who hated the noise level while touring. I love 'em, because most of my riding is in traffic to and from work, and I want the cagers to hear me.

Anyway, my TORS look like you're describing, and I'm sure it is, in fact, a glasspack. The inside diameter of the perforated tube is smaller than the diameter of the entry pipe, and that creates a restriction. As a result of this restriction, a portion of the sound waves (exhaust pulses) travel into the perforations and through whatever dampening (fiberglass?) is behind them. That's how these pipes quiet the exhaust.

The problem with glasspacks is that they're notoriously inefficient. When I was building street rods, I avoided them at all cost. Many quieter designs, such as stock Corvette and Corvair replacement mufflers, actually exhibit less back pressure and greater flow. They also deliver a throatier sound. I guess there just isn't enough room in a bike muffler for the type of free-flow labyrinth construction that works so well for cars.

Jack

--------------------

P38_Fan
Complete Newb

#356035 - 10/20/08 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

My TORS came from a local rider who hated the noise level while touring. I love 'em, because most of my riding is in traffic to and from work, and I want the cagers to hear me.

Anyway, my TORS look like you're describing, and I'm sure it is, in fact, a glasspack. The inside diameter of the perforated tube is smaller than the diameter of the entry pipe, and that creates a restriction. As a result of this restriction, a portion of the sound waves (exhaust pulses) travel into the perforations and through whatever dampening (fiberglass?) is behind them. That's how these pipes quiet the exhaust.

The problem with glasspacks is that they're notoriously inefficient. When I was building street rods, I avoided them at all cost. Many quieter designs, such as stock Corvette and Corvair replacement mufflers, actually exhibit less back pressure and greater flow. They also deliver a throatier sound. I guess there just isn't enough room in a bike muffler for the type of free-flow labyrinth construction that works so well for cars.

Jack

Jack, I agree with everything you've said here. I guess I'm just surprised that the long TOR pipes were listed as the second quietest pipes in the original list, given how much of a headache I get with these pipes. Regardless, my next project on the bike is just going to be trying to quiet these pipes down a bit.

frijoli
Learned Hand

Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: North, Northwest, NC USA
      #383204 - 04/03/09 08:15 PM

This thread should add the Tridents and Chevy605 pipes.

Anyone?

--------------------
01010100 01110010 01101001 01110101 01101101 01110000 01101000 <3

Lonzo
Learned Hand

Reged: 09/16/06
Loc: Capital of The Sunshine State
      #383208 - 04/03/09 09:23 PM

P38- Do you wear earplugs? When I had my loud pipes on, I could not stand the sound with my helmet on. The helmet caused some kind of resonance or feedback-like echo that was unbearable. If I went around the block without a helmet, it wasn't bad. Since riding without a helmet isn't an option for me, I always wear earplugs.

lylesdo
Learned Hand

Reged: 06/26/06
Loc: Warrenton VA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Lonzo]
      #383387 - 04/04/09 09:11 PM

In my humble opinion gutted stock pipes (when I say gutted they still do have some of the three baffle plates left over from the bafflectomy, including the reducer cone) are not really that loud. They do have authority at WOT but under normal throttle riding they aren't that bad... certainly not bad enough to need earplugs.

The loudest pipes I have ever heard were the extra long epco drag pipes on Casey's bike (Clinton MD gang) and the others were the little shorty turn out pipes (basically a ten inch extension of the header pipes) that one of the members here in Northern Virginia has on his speedy.

--------------------
'06 TBA - Black, AI and Snorkel removed, K&N Drop In, Gutted Stock Pipes, 145/42, 2 turns out.

Edited by lylesdo (04/04/09 09:17 PM)

Sandmann
Oil Expert

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, QLD, AU
      #383436 - 04/05/09 06:15 AM

Another one that's missing is Thunderpipes... with the baffles in I'd put them between the D&D's and the Bubs. Haven't tried them with the baffles out yet.

--------------------
Matt
Electronic mods for TBA/SM!

ScottS
Adjunct

Reged: 04/30/07
Loc: Vincennes, IN USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Sandmann]
      #383631 - 04/05/09 09:43 PM

i have 3" turn downs of my headers....had them custom made to fit the end of the header...wrapped header in exhaust wrap...very very very loud...

Dale

Reged: 11/01/06
Loc: Alabama, U.S.A.
      #383742 - 04/06/09 02:05 PM

Hey Matthew, here is a site that will give you some examples of exhaust sounds on some of the classics from the past.
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Sounds.htm
Pretty interesting. I had forgotten how great those older bikes sounded at open throttle.

--------------------
"Youth and intelligence can always be trumped by old age and rat cunning"

SalMaglie
Loquacious

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: Tucson, Az
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Dale]
      #383900 - 04/07/09 06:02 AM

I just got a set of D&D pipes from Trumpy(thanks Mark), and they're on par or maybe even slightly louder than the Epcos I used to have on my bike. Being something of a pipe monger, I've also had Speedmaster short off-roads, Sceptres, drilled out stock Speedmasters, Epcos, and D&Ds. I've also heard the Thunderbikes and both Bubs.

There were a few different versions of the off-roads as far as sound levels go. My Speedmaters were not much louder than stock, but IIRC around the time our bikes first came out back in 02 and 03, we had about 3 variations of loudness with off-roads floating around the old forum.

My personal taste is a middle of the road sound. I like the punched out baffles sound of my Stock Speedmaster pipes, but I'd like them to be lighter and shorter...about even with the axle. The D&Ds look good, but after riding for about 30 miles yesterday, I wish they were a bit more muffled. I might try some fiberglass.

A few years back I put my bike into a loud pipes contest at a local bike night when I had the Epcos just to see what kind of decibel level they put out. They used a digital sound pressure level meter from Rat Shack and they used it straight back from the bike about 20-25 ft. Yeah, it was a less than scientific test. My bike put out 110 dbs, and drag pipe Harley Big Twins were 125. A friend had a 1200 Sportster with short drag pipes and it was only 1 or 2 decibels less than the Big Twins.

moeAdministrator
Should be Riding

Loc: Merritt Island, Fl
      #383992 - 04/07/09 12:11 PM

Scepters vs D&Ds

Both loud. But the D&D's absolutely BARK! Hands down the D&D's are louder than the Sceptres.

--------------------
Blowing gravel off rural roads

ScottS
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: moe]
      #384009 - 04/07/09 01:25 PM

Sal...I would not use that rat shack meter...coming from a guy who used to compete in audio competions do not use it...you are better off judging by ear..that 125 is almost tapping out that meter if it had not done it already...the rat shack meters also don't take frequency into account...it will pick up on resonance...Just judge them by ear..... the numbers the rat shack meter put out are worthless and would not use it for anything above 100 db

B02S4
Learned Hand

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: ScottS]
      #384028 - 04/07/09 03:46 PM

Keep in mind that each 3dB(A) increase is a doubling of the sound pressure...

freedom
Check Pants

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: NW, MT
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: JCBullen]
      #384167 - 04/08/09 05:07 AM

Quote:

I have EPCOs, and they're too loud and 'raspy' for my tastes.

I missed this thread on the first go-round. I also have had Epco pipes for about 5-6 years. Granted I know they are bit loud on heavy acceleration, but I've asked pillon riders and others for their opinion.

Motoring through Ward & June Cleaver neighborhoods and cruising down the byways they "seem" pretty civilized?? At least I receive a "thumbs ups" from most of the blue-haired lady crowd.

Then again years of music, from when bands produced music worth listening to, may have altered my perception. .

I still have the stock pipes in the back shed.

jh

--------------------
"It's not what I say that's important, it's what you hear" Red Auerbach

eddieb
Adjunct

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Arkansas
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: freedom]
      #384248 - 04/08/09 12:44 PM

I really like the sound of the SS and Bubs. However, I prefer the SS sound.

Lonzo, after installing the SS, I wear earplugs for the same reason as you. If I don't, my ears ring like crazy.

--------------------
Didn't buy into the hype, you can keep the change.

1funride

Reged: 04/02/09
Loc: NY USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: eddieb]
      #385212 - 04/13/09 06:12 PM

I have had the SS for two years now. I loved them the first day I put them on and still love them. They are not loud, they have what I would call a warmer, less snappy or harsh sound than the TORS. I have the long slash cuts. I think they get better with time. Re-Jet the bike, dial up the idle screw (ALOT), and set the idle real real low. Sounds just incredible. Trust me, get that idle set LOW. For comparison, the SS are considerably quiter than the average Harley.

Calkins
Adjunct

Reged: 04/24/08
Loc: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: 1funride]
      #400657 - 06/24/09 04:36 PM

I love my long TORs. My riding buddy and myself think they sound like a Huey 'coper when we're puts-ing around town. Is there any other pipe that sounds that way? Maybe louder?

--------------------
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
2007 Triumph America 865

Nukeranger
Adjunct

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Calkins]
      #400672 - 06/24/09 05:25 PM

I have had D&D pipes on my 2002 BA from the day it rolled out the Triumph Dealer. They are loud and will set off car alarms and cause hearing loss after a long ride down the highway at 75 to 80 mph. At idle, they sound fantastic. When accelerating, they sound outstanding. I like them and on long trips I will wear ear plugs to combat the resulting hearing loss. My wife's 2001 Custom Bonnie also has D&D's and she loves them. If I didn't know any better, I would believe they were straight pipes! My fellow riders rather I ride in the rear. Co-workers say they can't hear their stereos in the truck/car when behind me on the way to work. They look good too. Hope this helps.

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

Reged: 08/29/07
Loc: St Louis MO
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Nukeranger]
      #400673 - 06/24/09 05:32 PM

It sounds like you just described my Scepters!

--------------------
On the outside, I may appear like an emotionless, sarcastic jerk.
But just like an onion, when you peel off more layers,
you find the exact same thing every single time and you start crying.

Keith
Stickman Yogi

Reged: 03/21/09
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: roadworthy]
      #400750 - 06/24/09 10:48 PM

I'm just having fun with the short straight-through TORS. They echo off the rock face as I pull hard through an uphill snake and they settle down on stretches of nothingness to allow me to enter nirvana-like consciousness. And they get better as the miles go by. But then again I'm riding... pure and simple and pipes just may have little to do with the level of consciousness I achieve. Can anyone say, samadhi?

--------------------
Live to love, love to live.

The_Dog33
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/01/07
Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Keith]
      #400786 - 06/25/09 05:35 AM

Quote:

Can anyone say, samadhi?

Can't say it and I don't think anyone here knows how to play one either.

--------------------
I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
some shots of our bikes

JAEGER
Adjunct

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: NoVA, U.S.A. (near D.C.)
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: lylesdo]
      #400822 - 06/25/09 07:59 AM

Quote:

The loudest pipes I have ever heard were the extra long epco drag pipes on Casey's bike (Clinton MD gang) and the others were the little shorty turn out pipes (basically a ten inch extension of the header pipes) that one of the members here in Northern Virginia has on his speedy.

I asked Casey about those -- they are (were) straight through without a single baffle... and yes, they are, hands down, the loudest ****** pipes I've ever heard on any of the Bonnie variants. Riding behind him is painful.

Still assessing the steel-packed Emgos on my 03 Speedy -- bike's in the shop right now, so little "testing" going on. They're loud -- perhaps a little too loud -- but certainly nothign compared to Casey's bike.

--Jaeger

--------------------
NEUTIQUAM ERRO

Dill
Learned Hand

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: northwood nh
      #400826 - 06/25/09 08:26 AM

Quote:

Speaking of Stainless, I don't see the Staintune pipes being mentioned here. But of course they are not in the obnoxiously loud category which suits me anyway. Mind you, that's with me keeping the restrictor in.

Taking it out and the decibel lever goes from 94 (tors are 91db) to 99 db' which may suit a few of you guys. Particularly as the staintunes have their own pure sound that give them their own fan club.

Don't trust me? When you hear them, you'll know what I'm talking about

I run staintunes without the baffle. They sound nice, good tone if I get on it, and I can back off the throttle to pretty darn quiet. Granted I can't hear my bike when I ride with the HD guys. But since I ride around to visit clients its a good compromise.

Keith
Stickman Yogi

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: The_Dog33]
      #400889 - 06/25/09 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can anyone say, samadhi?

Can't say it and I don't think anyone here knows how to play one either.

Got a good chortle outta that one!

--------------------

rebelraider

Reged: 07/22/09
Loc: Livingston Tn
      #407508 - 07/25/09 10:49 PM

I put cocktail shakers on mine, and removed baffles. My Harley has a set of shorty's, with no baffles. I can stand between them and the Triumph is the loudest.

ScottS
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: rebelraider]
      #407509 - 07/25/09 11:09 PM

mine is pretty loud.... the people from the midwest rally will tell you!!! and it sounds much much different than any other set of pipes...plus i have a really loud cackle that just roars when i let off the throttle about 4 grand..

Dinqua
Worn Saddle

Loc: Honeoye, New York
      #407535 - 07/26/09 06:49 AM

Hey scott, with those turndowns, where does all that gravel and cement chunks in that picture go when you start the bike?

My friend, Holly, has nice turndowns on her HD and when she starts it you don't want to be near any dirt/gravel/etc. Whooo what a cloud they throw up.

--------------------
A word to the wise is not necessary. It is the stupid ones who need the advice.
Pat

ScottS
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Dinqua]
      #407812 - 07/27/09 07:11 PM

yes they do throw up dust.... but i sure love the sound and the cackle

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

#407825 - 07/27/09 07:31 PM

Those pipes are loud alright! I can hear him riding behind my bike and I run Scepters.

--------------------

moeAdministrator
Should be Riding

#413197 - 08/25/09 12:13 PM

Quote:

Scepters vs D&Ds

Both loud. But the D&D's absolutely BARK! Hands down the D&D's are louder than the Sceptres.

Cinnamon Girl -> D&D's
Vera Lynn -> Sceptres

Lynn and I traveled home from Lake Gaston VA several weeks ago. I on Cinnamon Girl and she behind the wheel of her Highlander. We started out with her behind me. Ended up with her in front of me. I asked her why she was always a mile or so behind me and she said that my pipes were so loud that she could not hear the radio! It hurt her to drive behind me. Hum. I bet folks shat their pants when I whiteline at speed.

--------------------

latebreak

#413584 - 08/27/09 08:01 PM

Anyone ever do a side by side comparison of EPCO versus Specialty Spares?

Which is louder (baffles in)?

Which is deeper?

--------------------

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

Reged: 09/06/09
Loc: La Rochelle - France
      #415009 - 09/07/09 02:47 PM

hello,

Do we know how much db those pipes sound ?
(pipes with baffles / direct from vendor)

I mean for example :

Stock are 86 db @ 1000 RPM ????
TORS (long) are 90 db @1000 RPM
etc...

Maybe ranking pipes with that kind of data would better help those (like me) who haven't really listen real sound.
As we know that each 3 db , volume is up twice (x2) . (I don't know how to say that)

That way, we'll get a best idea how much noise we need !?

Because, anyone here says mine is louder... etc..., but something loud enough for me should be not enough loud for another .

Maybe someone has already measured that ?
In this case, updating first post with those data would be apreciated.

Thank's

--------------------
I do not read/write english very well. Thank's to be patient.
Triumph America/Speedmaster French community : http://www.yogourtnoway.com

RamSound
Loquacious

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Tfrenchy]
      #415012 - 09/07/09 03:14 PM

There would have to be a standard of measurement for any data to be useful which there is not. Distance, environment, and placement of microphone all would have a dramatic affect on SPL (loudness) figures. You would also have to specify what scale it is to me measured in (A weighting, C, or flat) besides a constant engine rpm.

BTW, a 3 dB SPL increase is NOT twice the volume. This is a common misunderstanding of decibel measurements. It takes twice the power (watts) to increase the dB SPL 3 dB (speaker measurement) which is not twice as loud.

BlueNose
Adjunct

Reged: 04/21/08
Loc: United Kingdom
      #415024 - 09/07/09 04:53 PM

Thierry,

This is a great thread and from what I can tell the rankings on the first post are spot on.

I would opted for short TORS for a number of reasons ie they are the right sound for me, it was easy (dealer remapped and fitted), neighbours not upset, cops never bothered me, liked the popping and occasional backfire, still turned heads (good safety feature), no warranty issues and they look good. Now if I lived in La Rochelle it would be short TORS no question. The sound will be bouncing off the walls - fantastic!

Either way you will notice a massive difference with out the stocks - the bike becomes how it was Ment to be!

--------------------
One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: BlueNose]
      #415061 - 09/08/09 02:07 AM

@RamSound : You're right. Thas 's what I mean : same bike, same microphon, same RPM, in the same room, etc...

@BlueNose : My vendor proposed to me the long TORS. He said that would make same look as Stocks and cops would be more cool with that (as they visually cannot suppose they aren't stocks). Is there a big difference between long and short TORS (about sound) ?

--------------------

Edited by Tfrenchy (09/08/09 02:09 AM)

Wendell
Adjunct

Reged: 08/06/05
Loc: Smyrna, Delaware
      #415063 - 09/08/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

hello,

Do we know how much db those pipes sound ?
(pipes with baffles / direct from vendor)

I mean for example :

Stock are 86 db @ 1000 RPM ????
TORS (long) are 90 db @1000 RPM
etc...

Maybe ranking pipes with that kind of data would better help those (like me) who haven't really listen real sound.
As we know that each 3 db , volume is up twice (x2) . (I don't know how to say that)

That way, we'll get a best idea how much noise we need !?

Because, anyone here says mine is louder... etc..., but something loud enough for me should be not enough loud for another .

Maybe someone has already measured that ?
In this case, updating first post with those data would be apreciated.

Thank's

Well, my Specialty Spares long cannons are 110db at 3500 rpm, I know this cause they failed Delaware noise standards. However they have 12k miles on them and need re-wrapping, once I get the re-wrap done and inspected again I will post the new levels.

Cheers
Wendell

--------------------
"Reality is for people who lack Imagination"

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Wendell]
      #415087 - 09/08/09 06:53 AM

@Wendell : Thank's

--------------------

BlueNose
Adjunct

#415133 - 09/08/09 01:17 PM

@BlueNose : My vendor proposed to me the long TORS. He said that would make same look as Stocks and cops would be more cool with that (as they visually cannot suppose they aren't stocks). Is there a big difference between long and short TORS (about sound) ?

Short TORS are slightly louder/better and look better in my opinion. I have travelled about 5,000km in France on my tba and the only comment I have had from the boys in bleu is "nice ride". Never been worried - the interest in France in our bikes is second only to Belgium (be prepared for some attention of the right sort).

By the way we have similar tastes...

[image][/image]

Which ever pipes you choose you will transform your riding experience mon ami.

--------------------

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

#415143 - 09/08/09 02:35 PM

Look nice !
I'll get these short TORS asap, I hope this month if business goes on.

Another question : with Short TORS do I have something to do with airbox to make it breath better ? (My vendor will adjust cartography /EFI)

--------------------

Edited by Tfrenchy (09/08/09 02:37 PM)

BlueNose
Adjunct

#415153 - 09/08/09 03:45 PM

I left my air intake and A1 as standard although I understand the addition of K&N filters does make a difference to performance (I kept as stock so no risk to warranty). As for A1 I like popping and the odd backfire so left well alone. Use your regulator to change sound also - lower gives you more snack crackle and pop! But careful not too low as it dies on you as I found out in the centre of Dijon next to some HD boys. Not my finest moment!

Btw if you take off the A1 you need to bypass the O2 sensors on EFI (I think).

--------------------

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

#415217 - 09/08/09 11:28 PM

Don't worry, I'll not do it myself. My vendor will do it, he's better mechanics as I am. Anyway, I prefer pay and have a nice service. I do not want my bike to be destroyed or warrenty go out. Thank's.

--------------------

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

#415285 - 09/09/09 10:20 AM

Do somebody have left/right side pics with short TORS ?
Thanks.

--------------------

BlueNose
Adjunct

#415499 - 09/10/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Best I can do mon ami!

--------------------

ScottS
Adjunct

#415506 - 09/10/09 03:28 PM

@ ramsound: actually 3 db up is twice as loud..... say from 120 to 123.....123 is twice as loud as 120. However from the human hearing prespective 10 db is the precieved twice as loud.

Harald73
Adjunct

Reged: 10/20/07
Loc: Hellsinki, Finland
      #415556 - 09/10/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Harald73]
      #415566 - 09/10/09 11:54 PM

Thank You all !

@BlueNose : Is your front light bar the Triumph one or Rivco ? An what about your leather bags ?
Thank's

--------------------

Edited by Tfrenchy (09/10/09 11:58 PM)

RamSound
Loquacious

#415647 - 09/11/09 08:25 AM

Scott, that is absolutely incorrect. As I said before, it takes twice the power to increase the sound pressure level 3 dB. 3 dB does not represent on any scale "twice as loud". This misconception arises from terminology confusion. In voltage measurements, twice the voltage would result in a 6 dB increase. I assume, though, you are referring to acoustical SPL measurements, and when you refer to "loudness" you are referring to sound pressure level (SPL). Regardless, the decibel is always a power ratio. It is not a unit of measurement like an inch, watt, liter, or a gram. It is a logarithm of a non-dimensional ratio of two power-like quantities.

--------------------
Bob

BlueNose
Adjunct

#415689 - 09/11/09 01:33 PM

Quote:

Thank You all !

@BlueNose : Is your front light bar the Triumph one or Rivco ? An what about your leather bags ?
Thank's

Both paniers and light bar triumph. Paniers keep dry even in heavy rain - amazingly. If you get light bar up rate fuse to from 5 amp to 10 amp - caused me a few issues.
Ride safe mon ami!

--------------------

ScottS
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: RamSound]
      #415709 - 09/11/09 03:21 PM

as far as sound pressure levels they are measured in dB's 120dB to 123dB is a twice the presure as measured in dB's

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

#415710 - 09/11/09 03:23 PM

Very useful for me.
Thank's BlueNose

--------------------

Tfrenchy
Adjunct

#415712 - 09/11/09 03:28 PM

Okay,
I've just seen I can reply to the post of my choice.... Sorry , I'm not familar with UBB.

--------------------

RamSound
Loquacious

#415801 - 09/12/09 12:56 PM

Quote:

as far as sound pressure levels they are measured in dB's 120dB to 123dB is a twice the presure as measured in dB's

Another incorrect statement. Again, it takes twice the power (watts) to increase the pressure (SPL) 3dB. It is twice the power not twice the SPL. You're making a mistake arguing with a sound engineer.

--------------------
Bob

B02S4
Learned Hand

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: USA
      #415873 - 09/13/09 06:55 AM

Quote:

Scott, that is absolutely incorrect. As I said before, it takes twice the power to increase the sound pressure level 3 dB. 3 dB does not represent on any scale "twice as loud". This misconception arises from terminology confusion. In voltage measurements, twice the voltage would result in a 6 dB increase. I assume, though, you are referring to acoustical SPL measurements, and when you refer to "loudness" you are referring to sound pressure level (SPL). Regardless, the decibel is always a power ratio. It is not a unit of measurement like an inch, watt, liter, or a gram. It is a logarithm of a non-dimensional ratio of two power-like quantities.

Thanks RamSound!

ScottS
Adjunct

#415914 - 09/13/09 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another incorrect statement. Again, it takes twice the power (watts) to increase the pressure (SPL) 3dB. It is twice the power not twice the SPL. You're making a mistake arguing with a sound engineer.

I do not believe that I am making a mistake because learning to me is not a mistake. However your credentials top mine. I was a semi-pro carstereo competitor in the spl lanes...every thing I have learned about SPL has been very amature gathering information from many different sources...Doesn't suprise me that I have been misinformed. The only thing i have had any training on is electronics. Just out of curiosity what kind of work do you do? When i was sponsered the owner of the company that sponsered me was an acoustical engineer....He worked on underwater sound for the military

RamSound
Loquacious

#415990 - 09/14/09 09:34 AM

I seriously did not mean to get this thread off the topic of exhausts. Scott, I do live sound work and own a sound company that has been providing sound for concerts and festivals for over 36 years.

Back to exhausts, if you have a way of measuring different exhausts under the same conditions (exact same distance to mic, same environment, etc.), the dB SPL readings would give a reference as to which are louder.

--------------------
Bob

Zmilin
Saddle Sore

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Sammamish, Washington - USA
      #417375 - 09/23/09 05:53 PM

I had the baffles out fo my SS cannons today...took it around the block...

Rolled into my complex and shut it down to coast into my garage so as not to shake my neighbors windows out of the frames.

I think I heard small children crying and I swear I saw people ducking out of the way.

HOLYSHITONACRACKERBATMAN

--------------------
07 Black BA, 39mm FCRs, TPUSA stage 1 head, TPUSA 813 cams, TPUSA 10.8:1 pistons, TTP #3 igniter, Specialty Spares Long Cannons, Tsukayu Hard Bags. 82HP/55tq

latebreak

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Zmilin]
      #417378 - 09/23/09 06:04 PM

Quote:

I had the baffles out fo my SS cannons today...took it around the block...

Rolled into my complex and shut it down to coast into my garage so as not to shake my neighbors windows out of the frames.

I think I heard small children crying and I swear I saw people ducking out of the way.

HOLYSHITONACRACKERBATMAN

I WILL be trying this!

--------------------

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

#417383 - 09/23/09 06:09 PM

I rode with no baffles in my Scepters for a couple weeks, man that was just too loud

--------------------

RamSound
Loquacious

#417496 - 09/24/09 09:07 AM

Before I replaced the baffle wrap on my SS pipes, I rode around the block without the baffles at all. WAY too loud for me. I like it best with brand new wrap on them. Takes out any raspiness and keeps the low end throaty sound that is the forte of the Specialty Spares. Plus, I think they perform better the way they were designed - probably increases a slight back pressure.

--------------------
Bob

TriumphLance
Adjunct

Reged: 08/08/09
Loc: North Bend, Washington State
      #427141 - 11/29/09 07:55 AM

Just wanted to say, this is a great discussion! I have always wondered how loud my pipes were in comparison to any others out there, and this thread is one stop shopping for this topic - thanks to all!

I have the long TOR's and like them alot - I like the rumble at idle, and the growl at acceleration. When I had my bike in for service, I got to hear the mechanic test ride it, and they sounded nice to me. But I can tell that there are alot of favorites here!

--------------------
2013 Speedmaster Matte Black

Warlock
Adjunct

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Cheshire, England
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: TriumphLance]
      #427229 - 11/30/09 01:49 AM

I bought the short TORs for mine but they just didn't sound right... So I opened them up... ... mean sound, awesome overrun, 6" blue flames occasionally in the dark... Tested the volume with th db meter at work (130db)... at idle they're to loud to register... Hence my need for earpugs and I have had complaints about heartstopping from behind on the motorway (freeway) at 80, (oops 70mph)...

--------------------
Mike.
Veho Liberate

Iustus Paratus Prohibeo Penuriosus Effectus

blackdog
Learned Hand

Loc: Illinois
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Warlock]
      #429853 - 12/19/09 05:31 PM

Didn't see it...did anyone ever give a comparison of SS short slashes vs. Epco's? Thinking of switching out my SS's for something different.

--------------------
"Despite all the amputation, you could dance to a rock 'n roll station..."

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: blackdog]
      #429858 - 12/19/09 06:09 PM

Quote:

Didn't see it...did anyone ever give a comparison of SS short slashes vs. Epco's? Thinking of switching out my SS's for something different.

I think they are pretty even for loud, the tone is a bit different, the SS may be just a touch lower.

--------------------

blackdog
Learned Hand

Loc: Illinois
      #429860 - 12/19/09 06:11 PM

Thanks Dave. Kinda got that from searching the archives too.

--------------------
"Despite all the amputation, you could dance to a rock 'n roll station..."

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: blackdog]
      #429869 - 12/19/09 07:12 PM

I like the Epco's, you can't go wrong with stainless steel. But I love my Scepter's, I think they sound absolutely fantastic, and they look nice and beefy because they are a lot bigger than Epco's, more like the size of the Spares.

--------------------

Stacka
Oil Expert

#429898 - 12/20/09 05:01 AM

If you want to measure db's so we can get some more concise readings, next time you guys have a rally somone with the latest iPhone could buy one of the utility applications. I have it installed on mine and it gives average as well as highest db Reading in a bar type format. Just find out the distance and rpm design rules use and compare. Easiest and cheapest way I can think of to take out the subjective opinion that keeps going round in circles. Particularly with the home made baffelectomy's. Would be interesting and good fun too.

--------------------

damien
Adjunct

Reged: 03/25/09
Loc: little rock AR. USA
      #430476 - 12/24/09 06:34 PM

just ask anyone who went on the arkansas 09 rally how loud my bike is. i was on my way to work one morning and i had a guy flip me off repeatedly cause he couldnt hear his cell phone call at 70mph i just smiled and waved as i dropped it to 3rd gear hahaha

--------------------
2005 America 145 mains, , #48 pilots, , k&n pod filters, ported intakes manifolds, nology coils and wires, pro com CDI, 62 HP at wheel 60,000 hard miles still runs great

Edited by damien (12/25/09 07:16 AM)

SLEDHEAD
Complete Newb

Reged: 03/15/08
Loc: Chi-Town
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: BrianT]
      #430541 - 12/25/09 02:54 PM

Quote:

The only thing I've heard louder than my JCW shorties, was during the one 10mi ride I took with no mufflers, just straight pipes.
I went through a tunnel at WFO and the sound hurt my chest.

Same Here...I love the sound of my JCW SHORTYS....

damien
Adjunct

Reged: 03/25/09
Loc: little rock AR. USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: SLEDHEAD]
      #430547 - 12/25/09 05:53 PM

not shur what my pipes are bought them from a friend for $20

--------------------
2005 America 145 mains, , #48 pilots, , k&n pod filters, ported intakes manifolds, nology coils and wires, pro com CDI, 62 HP at wheel 60,000 hard miles still runs great

moeAdministrator
Should be Riding

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: damien]
      #431251 - 12/31/09 07:22 AM

Quote:

... i was on my way to work one morning and i had a guy flip me off repeatedly cause he couldnt hear his cell phone call at 70mph i just smiled and waved as i dropped it to 3rd gear hahaha

I wonder how many cage seats have pittle stains from the roar of D&Ds splitting lanes? at speed is really the cats meow for liberal pittle flow

--------------------

xvsreaper
Greenhorn

Reged: 12/30/09
Loc: sydney australia
      #431454 - 01/01/10 11:56 PM

i just fitted stainless steel epco exhausts on my 2009 america , love the sound , will have to get it remapped as popping and backfiring when decelerating

--------------------
2009 america , epco exhaust, custom seat , apes,stainless cables

DunnSpeed
Oil Expert

Reged: 10/27/08
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: xvsreaper]
      #431515 - 01/02/10 02:13 PM

Yaaaa. I have epco pipes and love them too. You just can't miss going with stainless steel. I wish they were a little deeper and louder but they are great in my opinion. They are neighborhood friendly yet still meaty.

--------------------
Chris '03 Speedy.

xvsreaper
Greenhorn

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: DunnSpeed]
      #431525 - 01/02/10 03:42 PM

i'll see how neighbour friendly they are at 3 in the morning going to work

--------------------

DunnSpeed
Oil Expert

#431553 - 01/02/10 07:54 PM

Aahhh...you'll probably wake a soul or two up for sure. I love it.

--------------------
Chris '03 Speedy.

Keith
Stickman Yogi

#433466 - 01/16/10 11:57 PM

Quote:

i just fitted stainless steel epco exhausts on my 2009 america , love the sound , will have to get it remapped as popping and backfiring when decelerating

I wonder what a guy can do on a EFI bike to eliminate that decel pop-did-de-pop-pop. Most of us with carbs and who also disconnected the TPS no longer experience the gearing down 'pop' syndrome.

--------------------

xvsreaper
Greenhorn

#433467 - 01/17/10 12:06 AM

had it remapped , dealer didn't have correct software for the epcos , but after he had finished nearly all popping is gone , still pops near end of deceleration but that gives it a bit of attitude

--------------------

chuckles

Reged: 06/18/08
Loc: SF Bay Area, California, USA
      #434133 - 01/20/10 05:10 PM

Go by the newly proposed exhaust pipe loudness test standard - SAE J2825.

Go to www.youtube.com/americanmotorcyclist to see the test procedure. It thus defines a standard instrument, distance, throttle behavior, etc.. to compare. May become basis for various laws on motorcycle exhaust around the country...

--------------------
-- RIDE ON -- 2008 America Two-Tone Blue-on-Blue
Pictures: http://www.bikebook.ca/bike/v/user/chuckkluz/

mgpauls
Adjunct

Reged: 06/22/09
Loc: Idaho
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: chuckles]
      #450548 - 04/27/10 09:46 AM

Resurecting an old thread! What is the difference in sound between the three versions of TORS ie Long, Short, Tapered? I had some Bubs on order, but after waiting a month and still no ETA, I cancelled the order and placed an order for some tapered TORS. I previously had the Long Slash Cut TORS. I like the look of the shorter tapereds, but am hoping that they are a little louder. Thanks for any input.

MercKing
Adjunct

Reged: 08/16/09
Loc: Manchester, NH USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: mgpauls]
      #450595 - 04/27/10 03:59 PM

If you want loud go with the Spec Spares or Spectres. Both are great pipes. I have spectres and can tell ya they are pretty loud.

--------------------
2008 Speedy, AI removed, DIY airbox destruction with K&N filters, spectres, re-jetted and "custom" rattle can paint job.

tmkpres
Complete Newb

Reged: 02/16/10
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: MercKing]
      #451564 - 05/04/10 06:32 PM

I like Scott's set up. Might have to copy that

--------------------
2oo3 Bonneville America

Bonneville790
Complete Newb

Reged: 09/13/08
      #451866 - 05/07/10 03:46 AM

I love the look of EPCO’s. I’ve got an 06 America 790 with de baffled standard pipes but need to change them as I live in Victoria the nanny state of Australia, and there is a huge crack down on loud bikes. How loud are the EPCO’s, I reckon on a scale of 1-10 with a loud Harley being 10 my pipes are about 8 ½. Don’t want to go to quiet and want to keep the deep note I’ve got, (Know someone with Staintunes and they’re too quiet and not deep enough). Would really appreciate you’re feedback.

Or should I be looking at something else, D&D’S, Sceptre’s etc. Thanks

jyatesmp
Adjunct

Reged: 05/11/10
Loc: DFW
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Bonneville790]
      #452555 - 05/12/10 03:01 PM

Has anyone heard British Customs Bomber Exhaust?

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-america-speedmaster-bomber-exhaust.html

Where would they fall on this list?

I was looking at getting this kit... what do you think?

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-america-speedmaster-performance-package.html

--------------------
07 TBA, 32" Turnouts, DIY Freak, hard saddlebags, 18" screen, dresser bars, highway pegs, floorboards, fog lights, amber run/turn lights front, red run/turn/stop lights back, blue speedo/tach lights, LED console lights

roadworthy
Bearing Changer

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: jyatesmp]
      #452574 - 05/12/10 04:37 PM

Quote:

I was looking at getting this kit... what do you think?

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-america-speedmaster-performance-package.html

I think you can save a lot of money by looking around and doing some price checking. You can find what you need to eliminate the airbox on ebay sometimes, or even in the classifieds here. Pipes are going to be a personal preference, you need to listen to sound clips and peoples advise, but the best way to judge is hearing them in person. The AI removal kit shouldn't cost more than 50¢ in my opinion, but if you want the pretty bolts with the Union Jack in them, you can get them from newspeedmaster.com and fasteddysports.com. Of course, they will be more than 50¢. 900 bucks seems like a lot for air filters and pipes...

--------------------

jyatesmp
Adjunct

#452651 - 05/13/10 06:43 AM

Good advice, I'll be sure to shop around. What about the BC exaust and the ranking on the loudness?

--------------------
07 TBA, 32" Turnouts, DIY Freak, hard saddlebags, 18" screen, dresser bars, highway pegs, floorboards, fog lights, amber run/turn lights front, red run/turn/stop lights back, blue speedo/tach lights, LED console lights

David44444
Complete Newb

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: NSW, Sydmey
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Crowbar]
      #453286 - 05/18/10 09:19 PM

I have 2003 speedmaster, i live by the creed loud pipes save lives, i have straight through shotgun pipes with no baffles, they are pretty loud in fact ive never had another bike come close, some people do find this obnoxiuos and i can understand that but the reality is that people drive around in tin cans with duff duff music playing and they dont hear you and so dont see you, i think this is a personel decison but i love the rumble of mike speedmaster it sets off car alarms when i ride down city streets, trust me the police really dont care, even my neighbours dont care they think it sounds sweet although i am cuatiuos not to anooy anybody. i cant hear my friends motorcycles i think it so dangerous not to be heard. Ride Well, Live Longer !!!

jyatesmp
Adjunct

#456539 - 06/15/10 08:29 AM

Quote:

I've spent a ton of time searching, reading and watching videos on you tube. I cannot find a definative ranking of pipes from quietest to loudest.

This is my best educated guess (quiet to loud). Can anyone comment?

Stock (sewing machine)
TORS (long)
TORS (short)
Stock (debaffle)
D&D
BUB
SS
Sceptre (baffle)
Sceptre (no baffle)

Has anyone had their bike side by side with a Harley with aftermarket exhaust? A few friends (lemmings) have XL1200C's with screaming eagle pipes. I don't want to be any louder than those...

Thanks!

Matthew

http://www.jcwhitney.com/extra-long-turned-out-mufflers/p2006465.jcwx?skuId=142383

where would you say these fall on the list?

--------------------

DunnSpeed
Oil Expert

#456770 - 06/16/10 04:43 PM

Why aren't the EPCO pipes listed?

--------------------
Chris '03 Speedy.

BCarnage
Learned Hand

Reged: 11/03/07
Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: DunnSpeed]
      #458950 - 07/04/10 01:56 PM

These are probably the loudest thing next to straight pipes. I have the 19" ones. I love them, they sound awesome.

~Brent

--------------------
~Brent

-----
"Nothing you can be is more terrible than what I am." ~ 2007 Black Speedmaster!!

Madrid
Adjunct

Reged: 06/23/09
Loc: York, PA, USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: BCarnage]
      #459284 - 07/07/10 03:06 PM

Brent
I'm going to order the 19" turnouts from JC Whitney for my 05. Did you rejet or anything? Beyond the obvious sound improvement did you notice any other difference? Do these pipes have baffles? Packing? Any feedback appreciated.

--------------------
2005 Speedmaster, Tornado Red, AI removed, Uni Pods, JCW 19" turnouts

DanCorrigan
Adjunct

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: Madrid]
      #459831 - 07/12/10 02:14 AM

I bought an 07 Speedmaster new and was very dissappointed in the sound of the mufflers. I ordered a set of long TORS and although better they still were too quiet. I drilled out a bunch of holes in the last baffle and now I have the sound I want. A nice rumble at idle and a mellow sound at speed. With a WOT they really sound off and I love it. I may drill some more holes anyway.

--------------------
07 Speedmstr, Long Tors, bags, sissy bar and rack, windshield, engine bars, 2 ww lights, 2 fast eddy stickers and a .45 ACP.

Madrid
Adjunct

Re: Exhaust Loudness Ranking [Re: DanCorrigan]
      #461840 - 07/26/10 12:43 PM

I now have the 19" turnouts on my 05. They are loud. Really thumps at idle. Love it.

--------------------

jyatesmp
Adjunct

#461854 - 07/26/10 02:26 PM

Quote:

I now have the 19" turnouts on my 05. They are loud. Really thumps at idle. Love it.

Pic, video, sound bite???

--------------------

Madrid
Adjunct

#461911 - 07/26/10 08:33 PM

Go on Youtube and search "Triumph Speedmaster turnout pipes". There are two videos from the same guy that give you a pretty good idea of the sound and look of the 19" pipes.

--------------------

Madrid
Adjunct

#462093 - 07/27/10 06:06 PM

Here is the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzg0DtOew0&feature=related

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17236

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage